Ibrahim Afellay

Bourne (Forum Member) on November 7th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Seems like an utterly pointless signing IMO. Typical Wenger stacking up in area we're bursting at, while ignoring the areas of more concern.

DK Gooner (Forum Member) on November 7th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Bourne wrote:Seems like an utterly pointless signing IMO. Typical Wenger stacking up in area we're bursting at, while ignoring the areas of more concern.

I would argue that while we have numbers, we do not have outright quality upfront. Getting in a quality player on a free should be a must. His age, at 24, means a more experienced individual than the majority of our options. We should aim take advantage of these situations as they don't crop up all the time.

Not saying Affellay will definitely work out for us, but is definitely worth a gamble. Our current lot for all their "talent" have not yet done the business and should not take their positions for granted.

Vela has to improve on his fringe status with some meaningful contributions. RVP is highly unreliable from an injury perspective while Bendtner is getting over a lengthy spell himself. Nasri, while talented and experienceing something of a purple patch has yet to convince me he is the best we can do long-term in that position. Arshavin is too inconsistent and Chamakh is not yet good enough and while reasonablly productive to date, has been playing by default due to our injuries. Walcott is a dangerous player, but again not near the finished article. So while we have numbers, reliability and consistecy is a real issue.

Kroket (Trusted Member) on November 8th, 2010, 10:50 am

Copy/paste from the Diaby thread:

Afellay has been playing in a similar role to Wilshere under PSV-coach Fred Rutten. Collect the ball from deep and deliver it to their wingers or attacking midfielders and doesn't join the attack too often anymore. Though the man himself has said quite often he wants to play the same role he did at the World Cup which would be the same role Arshavin plays in our team, as a left winger.

P_Gunner, he definitely has a powerful shot on him, in fact I'd say the only improvement he's made over the past few seasons is his shooting ability, which makes his positional switch all the more ridiculous. He should have left the Dutch league in 2008 or 2009, he's way too good and just cannot improve anymore especially not as a DM/CM.

If Diaby is in as much trouble as some sources suggest I think he'd be a very good replacement even if he's a bit weak and has a real nasty streak about him. He's alot like Jack with his temper. Perhaps he's more suited to our left wing though. Either way as a player I think he'd improve us.

GoonerGurjit (Elite Member) on November 9th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Barcelona could scupper Arsenal's move for PSV Eindhoven's Ibrahim Afellay by making a bid in the January transfer window after the in-demand midfielder revealed the two clubs may have opened talks.
Gunners manager Arsène Wenger was confident of tying up a deal for Afellay despite late interest from Barca's bitter rivals Real Madrid.

Afellay told Spanish Sport newspaper: 'I know nothing. I only know what I read in the newspapers online, but I still don’t know what my future holds because there are many options. But I think there have been contacts between Barcelona and PSV.

'[Barcelona] is a fantastic club, a club that everybody knows, a team that plays very attractive football and that is the greatest out there. But I insist that I know nothing yet about my future. All I can do is continue training as usual and playing the best I know with my team, which is still PSV.'

Affelay admits it would be 'great' to play in the Barca team alongside the likes of Andres Iniesta and Xav but refused to get his hopes up of one day joining the former European champions.
When pressed on whether he would fit in Barca boss Pep Guardiola's plans at the Nou Camp, Affelay said: 'I don’t know, that’s a question for Guardiola. All I can say is that I like to play with the ball, linking up with my teammates and playing an offensive style. That’s my role at PSV and that is how I have always played.
'For any player it would be great to play with [Andres] Iniesta and Xavi. They are players of a high quality and are benchmarks in the world of football. They are so good! But there is nothing concrete as I said before, so I’d rather not imagine it.'
The midfielder has made it clear though that he will not be signing a new deal at PSV but was unclear as to whether he would be leaving the Dutch side in January or at the end of the season.
He added: 'For the club it may be better in January because they can raise money from the transfer. But on the other hand it could also be a good choice to keep me until June because our goal is to win the Eredivisie and get into the Champions League next year, which is also a grand prize and will generate more money for the club.

'PSV is my home, but I need to go a step further in my career and I’m ready,” Afellay concluded.
Liverpool are said to have held preliminary talks with Afellay after manager Roy Hodgson watched him in action last weekend while Manchester United and Everton have also shown interest.

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/arti ... z14nFnVwjx

Clrnc (Trusted Member) on November 9th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Let him go there then. He wouldn't be near the top of my list even if we are to get an AM

GDeep (Forum Member) on November 9th, 2010, 11:41 pm

Balague too confirms on Revista that Barca have opened negotiations to get Affelay in January.

CandysRoom (Trusted Member) on November 10th, 2010, 12:00 am

If this is the case, how do they honestly expect to get cesc and keep all players happy?

DanDare (Forum Member) on November 10th, 2010, 12:20 pm

CandysRoom wrote:If this is the case, how do they honestly expect to get cesc and keep all players happy?

You seem to think the people at Barcelona think before making transfers...

Herbas (Forum Member) on November 10th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Well, Barca had some financial problems in the last summer, so maybe they also have to become cheapskates and sign players for free instead of spending millions on Fabregas or other top player.

outlaw_member (Forum Member) on November 13th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Apparently, he's going to sign a deal with Barcelona on the weekend.

AnthonyG (Administrator) on November 13th, 2010, 2:00 pm

So, by Tuesday or so, he should start saying how it's always been his dream to play with Cesc.

viper_001 (Forum Member) on November 13th, 2010, 5:20 pm

If they get Affelay, then Pastore (who has been heavily linked), the Cesc saga is over for good. Their midfield will be stacked, and have youngsters like Dos Santos and Alcantara coming through.

truth_hurts (Forum Member) on November 14th, 2010, 11:25 am

viper_001 wrote:If they get Affelay, then Pastore (who has been heavily linked), the Cesc saga is over for good. Their midfield will be stacked, and have youngsters like Dos Santos and Alcantara coming through.

Mascherano, Busquets, Xavi,Iniesta, Keita, Messi, Pedro, Bojan. Struggling to see their need for Affelay to be honest. They would find room for Cesc because of his talent/status but not sure they could offer Affelay the same.

Great signing for anybody on a free. United would be stupid not to attempt to sign him.

USArsenal (Administrator) on November 15th, 2010, 11:55 pm

SA Gunner (Forum Member) on June 1st, 2012, 12:37 pm

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/9 ... -newcastle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ibrahim Afellay to spark scramble between Arsenal, Spurs and Toon

Arsenal, Tottenham and Newcastle have all been alerted to the availability of Barcelona playmaker Ibrahim Afellay, with the Catalan giants ready to accept offers in the region of £6 million.

Afellay, who is currently training with the Holland squad ahead of Euro 2012, joined Barcelona from Dutch side PSV in January 2011, but he has struggled for match time since, featuring just five times last season following complex knee surgery that ruled him out for seven months.

The long-running injury problems have been common place in Afellay's career so far, but sensing an opportunity for profit given their £2.3 million outlay 18 months ago, Barcelona have put the 26-year-old up for sale and believe his starting berth for Holland at the Euro's will be a perfect platform to boost his price.

The La Liga runners-up are desperately trying to raise extra cash to help fund a summer of spending, and offloading Afellay and his wages is a priority, with the Dutchman not lacking potential suitors.

North London duo Arsenal and Tottenham are both long-term admirers of the player, with Gunners skipper Robin van Persie enjoying a close personal relationship, while Spurs have twice failed with loan-to-buy offers in recent years.

However, Newcastle are now believed to be the front runners for Afellay, with the only question mark being whether the fleet-footed playmaker would want to move to the North East.

The Magpies have around £20 million to spend this summer, and could easily afford the £6 million asking price, plus healthy wages of around £80,000-a-week.

Afellay, who is also a long-term target for Liverpool, is contracted to Barcelona until 2015.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/9 ... z1wXa1B5e7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did we enter the fray after Van Persie's recent comments about his understanding with Affelay on the pitch?

For 6 million it would be a steal, with only his fitness a concern for me. He will get a chance to play in his preferred position AND is versatile.

Edit: Apologies for getting his surname wrong.

THunter (Forum Member) on June 1st, 2012, 12:38 pm

He'd be a top signing, similar to when Spurs got VDV for cheap. I think he'd be class for us.

yousif_arsenal (Forum Member) on June 1st, 2012, 12:42 pm

Buy him just to keep Rvp. Affelay is his best friend. and i think he not needed for barca.

SA Gunner (Forum Member) on June 1st, 2012, 12:46 pm

yousif_persie wrote:Buy him just to keep Rvp. Affelay is his best friend. and i think he not needed for barca.

Quite effective as an attacking mid as well Yousif. We look a whole lot stronger with Rosicky, Afellay, Diaby and Ramsey competing/rotating in the AM role.

Walcott-----Van Persie-----Podolski
------------Afellay
---------Song-----Arteta

Super Six MK II, with possibly Giroud, Wilshere, Rosicky, M'Vila, Gervinho, Oxlade just behind?

yousif_arsenal (Forum Member) on June 1st, 2012, 12:49 pm

SA Gunner wrote:
yousif_persie wrote:Buy him just to keep Rvp. Affelay is his best friend. and i think he not needed for barca.

Quite effective as an attacking mid as well Yousif. We look a whole lot stronger with Rosicky, Afellay, Diaby and Ramsey competing/rotating in the AM role.

Walcott-----Van Persie-----Podolski
------------Afellay
---------Song-----Arteta

Super Six MK II?

Agree with you and he like to play with rvp they understand each others very well.

kalleTheMan (Trusted Member) on June 1st, 2012, 12:52 pm

Would be a very useful winger. Not sure he got the awareness to play as CAM for us. For anything under 10m it's very good value, especially if it can convince RVP to stay lol.

Marquis (Forum Member) on June 1st, 2012, 1:01 pm

Where does he play for the Dutch? When RVP speaks of their great understanding is it because of Ibi's wing-play or have they played together with Afellay as CAM behind Robin?

evoh_1 (Lobby Member) on June 1st, 2012, 1:50 pm

quality player if he is available sign him up and ship out arshavin.

Wouterus (Forum Member) on June 1st, 2012, 1:55 pm

Marquis wrote:Where does he play for the Dutch? When RVP speaks of their great understanding is it because of Ibi's wing-play or have they played together with Afellay as CAM behind Robin?

Mostly LW, the competition at CAM is immense. But Afellay isn't a typical winger. I think he would fit in well in our squad. He has the ability to participate in our passing game, but is also able to dribble past a few defenders.

GDeep (Forum Member) on June 1st, 2012, 1:56 pm

You sign him every single day of the week, you pay 10-12M if you have to aswell.

Big positive with him is he would be a talented young player who has Spain/Real/Barca out of his system now, looking for another top club now where he can make a career.

Aso, I think he has a massive soft spot for us and I thought it was genuine a few years ago when he spoke about Arsenal and the way we play etc, he's ours if we want him, I actually think he'll pick us over any club on the planet if we wanted him.

Mastadon (Forum Member) on June 1st, 2012, 1:58 pm

This seems very credible. The guy is a good player, he's not needed at Barca and crucially the price will be low. Would be a very good signing imo.

DJ_Markstar (Forum Member) on June 1st, 2012, 2:00 pm

For £6m? No brainer, snap him up.

celestis (Global Moderator) on June 1st, 2012, 2:08 pm

Yup snap him up , with Park apparently askng to leave there is space for another winger/forward .

The Escaped Ape (Trusted Member) on June 1st, 2012, 2:09 pm

This makes too much sense to happen.

THunter (Forum Member) on June 1st, 2012, 2:16 pm

GDeep wrote:You sign him every single day of the week, you pay 10-12M if you have to aswell.

Big positive with him is he would be a talented young player who has Spain/Real/Barca out of his system now, looking for another top club now where he can make a career.

Aso, I think he has a massive soft spot for us and I thought it was genuine a few years ago when he spoke about Arsenal and the way we play etc, he's ours if we want him, I actually think he'll pick us over any club on the planet if we wanted him.
That's a very good point, I could see him ending his career here.

ArseGod (Forum Member) on June 1st, 2012, 2:19 pm

Yep. This would be a very nice signing, still plenty of time to blossom. He was kind of Hleb-ed at Barca
Previous Next

Options

tracker