Summer 2011 Transfer hits and misses

KY (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 8:04 am

...including those that we were strongly rumoured to sign, but signed elsewhere. The differance between this and other threads. :)

Gervinho: fence
for a 10 million attacker, we got what we paid for I guess. Not brilliant, occasionally effective, definitely unpredictable, which is a double edged sword.

Ox: hit
definitely one for the future but on current ability, already better than a lot of our current players and those that left.

Per: hit
the kind of defender we needed, despite his lack of pace. solid, reads the game and experienced. Brought calmness to our back line.

Santos: more hit than miss
started off slow but eventually grew into the team. defensively very suspect but adds a lot of width to the attack.

Park: miss
Not even playing and its march. says as much for itself.

Arteta: hit
one of our best signings. calm cool ball player who links our attack and defense well. Not flowery but extremely effective.

players we missed out on:

Parker: miss
for the price we could have gotten him for (5 million) we would have made a good back up for song, especially since the injuries for wilshere and diaby.

Cahill: hit
for 17 million, and judging by how well he's been playing for Chelsea, I'd say we dodged a bullet!

Jose Enrique: miss
would definitely have been a better buy than Andre Santos

Juan Mata: miss
the kind of creativity he showed for Chelsea is probably the kind we lack the most right now. would have made a HUGE difference to our team.

Scott Dann: hit
the kind of form he's been on for blackburn, i don't know how we could have beeen linked at all!

Braydz (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 8:25 am

Mata was the big one, could of easily changed our season in so many ways. Wenger handled that transfer saga pretty poorly and we suffered as we had to wait till the last day of the transfer window to get players in.

Ricky alvarez for inter looks like he could be a good player, and we were very close to getting him apparently. So could be a miss there. I also agree on your evaluation of our buys though, good idea for a thread, btw.

SA Gunner (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 9:33 am

Braydz wrote:Mata was the big one, could of easily changed our season in so many ways. Wenger handled that transfer saga pretty poorly and we suffered as we had to wait till the last day of the transfer window to get players in.

Ricky alvarez for inter looks like he could be a good player, and we were very close to getting him apparently. So could be a miss there. I also agree on your evaluation of our buys though, good idea for a thread, btw.

Agreed.

I cant state how much of a loss Alvarez has been, he has been very effective for Inter this year. If only we had stuck to our guns and pushed for this kid, as well as Mata. We would have been a very strong side this year.

Spork (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 11:56 am

I think Park was only bought to sell kits in Asia.

kalleTheMan (Trusted Member) on March 4th, 2012, 11:57 am

Missing out on Mata was a big mistake, his final ball is pure quality and he's a goal threat as well.

redanddread (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Yeah, Mata was the big miss. The only one of our 2011 signings that can really be questioned seems to be Park. The OX seems to have the most potential but Gervinho should be more of a force next season, whilst I think Arteta has been mostly good he's really too slow and seems to be a more mature, upgraded version of Denilson. Per has been a great addition in defence and has provided some maturity and experience just where we needed it. I must say that I really started to like Andre Santos and can't wait for him to return to fitness. Every team worth their salt need at least one Brasilian in their ranks, right?

Ron Burgundy (Elite Member) on March 4th, 2012, 12:19 pm

What about Jenkinson and Benayoun?

redanddread (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:What about Jenkinson and Benayoun?

Good point, I guess they have been less involved than the others. I really like young Carl and the fact that's he's a Gooner makes it even better. Yossi is a great squad player, can't see him being a regular starter but certainly a fine squaddie

USArsenal (Administrator) on March 4th, 2012, 1:36 pm

SA Gunner wrote:
Agreed.

I cant state how much of a loss Alvarez has been, he has been very effective for Inter this year. If only we had stuck to our guns and pushed for this kid, as well as Mata. We would have been a very strong side this year.

mm.. not sure i agree with this. Alvarez found a bit of a purple patch for about 2 months when Inter was playing better and winning. However, he was pretty poor in the beginning of the season, and is now "meh" now that Inter arent playing as well again. will take the rest of the season and into next season to see if he is really a miss or a hit.. jury still out

Mata was a bigger miss IMO.

also dont know if i agree that Enrique would have been better than Santos. main thing he had going for him is familiarity of the league. Santos looked a bit shaky early on, but was coming into his own when he got hurt. and he suits our game, and contributes SO much offensively (twice as much as Gibbs IMO)

THunter (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Not surprised with Mata, wanted him more than Hazard in the summer and he's shown why. Next season he'll be up there with the likes of Silva and Van Persie as the best player in the league.

Another one Madrid regret selling.

David Smith (Lobby Member) on March 4th, 2012, 4:45 pm

I like this thread. Amusing to see those that cried out for Cahill and Dann have all gone quiet now.
I'd say it was a very good transfer window. Park was the only question mark, he's still not playing, but maybe Wenger signed him for other reasons (to boost marketing or to help out Monaco).
Santos was increasingly improving before he got injured, improved in defence and always an asset in attack. I'd hate to see the injury set him back, that'd be a worry.
As for Mata, I agree he would've been a great addition. To my knowledge Wenger tried to get him but ultimately Mata himself snubbed us for Chelsea and AVB... much to his loss.

MDGoonah41 (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 4:50 pm

I wonder if Mata is regretting his decision now...

Irish_Owen (Elite Member) on March 4th, 2012, 4:55 pm

MDGoonah41 wrote:I wonder if Mata is regretting his decision now...

To be fair, despite Chelsea's problems, they're only a couple of signings away from really challenging again and there not really short of investment either.

I expect them to be closer to their former self next season.

kooldawg (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Don't think Mata is regretting anything. Their still challenging in the Champions league and are one good run away from another top 4 finish. Besides this season is a freak season where they have under performed. Give them 1 more season to get in a few good signings and they will be back in the running. Besides he's getting way more money than we could ever give him.

Airknight (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Samba: hit.. where is he? :P

musicmonkey (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 5:24 pm

I'd also like to add:
Szczesny - Hit

A few were still calling out for a new keeper but Wenger played it perfectly with Szczesny and now for once our keeper is gaining us points (and champions league football) instead of losing them. Udinese and Liverpool are fine examples. I mean remember when it seemed every set piece was going to go in? I put a lot of that improvement down to Wojo's organisation.

Floating (Trusted Member) on March 4th, 2012, 5:28 pm

I wonder how different our season would've been had we signed Mata and Enrique.

yousif_arsenal (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 5:53 pm

100% agree with you, and am really really mad we miss mata he has been good with chelsea. its wenger fult not pay the money.

arteta per and Aoc our best buys this summer

gervinho andre santos they playing not bad

am sad about park he really not get his chance to play.

KY (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 5:55 pm

I'd actually say:
Samba: fence
He's playing for a really poor team but I think he has what it takes if he was playing for a half decent team and has a ball playing centre half next to him. In Blackburn, the centre halves are all physical baboons...

And Benayoun: hit
as a loan signing with one or two really decent performances and usually an impact sub, I find he's done really well. Not complained about lack of match time too.

Jenkinson: hit
for one million, a completely committed reserve full back who's arsenal through and through. lacking technique and experience recently but has done quite well when called upon. nothing to shout about, but not much complaints either.

musicmonkey (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 6:18 pm

KY wrote:I'd actually say:
Samba: fence
He's playing for a really poor team but I think he has what it takes if he was playing for a half decent team and has a ball playing centre half next to him. In Blackburn, the centre halves are all physical baboons...

And Benayoun: hit
as a loan signing with one or two really decent performances and usually an impact sub, I find he's done really well. Not complained about lack of match time too.

Jenkinson: hit
for one million, a completely committed reserve full back who's arsenal through and through. lacking technique and experience recently but has done quite well when called upon. nothing to shout about, but not much complaints either.

I agree, Jenkinson was a good signing, it was selling Eboue that was the issue. Would have given us better backup and prehaps let Jenkinson develop on loan at someone like Bolton instead of having the pressure he had early in the season.

Oh and what about the one massive hit everyone's somehow forgotten so far?
Henry on loan ;)

Ron Burgundy (Elite Member) on March 4th, 2012, 6:24 pm

musicmonkey wrote:Oh and what about the one massive hit everyone's somehow forgotten so far?
Henry on loan ;)

Thread title: "Summer 2011 Transfer hits and misses"

scytheavatar (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Jenkinson still has a lot to prove, he has many games where he looked out of depth and struggling to meet the defensive and workrate demands. Nothing surprising for a player of his age, but I don't see him ATM as some kind of wonderful full back talent that deserves the "hit" tag.

DJ_Markstar (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 9:27 pm

scytheavatar wrote:Jenkinson still has a lot to prove, he has many games where he looked out of depth and struggling to meet the defensive and workrate demands. Nothing surprising for a player of his age, but I don't see him ATM as some kind of wonderful full back talent that deserves the "hit" tag.

Not even close to true. He's inexperienced and makes stupid mistakes more often than I'd like but he gives it his all and is up and down constantly. Workrate is not an issue here.

Ron Burgundy (Elite Member) on March 4th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Jenkinson is one of the hardest workers in the squad. The guy is up and down the flank non-stop. You can criticize the technical/tactical sides of his game, but his effort cannot be questioned.

Edit: DJ_Markstar beat me to it.

ebouenolike (Trusted Member) on March 4th, 2012, 9:49 pm

Someone is bashing Jenkinson's work rate? Why not have a pop at Theo for being too slow, and Per for being too short while you're at it.

Airknight (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 10:00 pm

There was noise for Cisse on the summer right? was that a miss?

Vela (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 10:03 pm

I think the majority of the signings have been hits the likes of Arteta and Mertesacker have really impressed me. Chamberlain is one for the future you can see how talented he is. Jenkinson was thrown in at the deep-end at the start of the seasons, he's young and inexperienced. But has done well for Arsenal this season and I think he will become a good player.

It's Gervinho's first season in the Premiership, the ACON has interrupted it. We've seen glimpses of his talent, he could show a bit more consistency. Yossi hasn't had to many chances his season but is a squad player.

The only real miss is Park Chu-Young but for some reason we haven't seen much of him this season. He's played 6 or 7 minutes in the Premier League this season.

The player we missed out on was Mata for me. We've struggled in the AM role this season with Wilshere being injured, if AW planned on playing him there. Mata is capable of playing behind the striker and would have linked up well with van Persie. He would have suited the way we play as well. He has real quality and we need to sign someone like Mata this summer. Even if it does cost Arsenal 20 Million.

Dokaka (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 10:04 pm

Airknight wrote:There was noise for Cisse on the summer right? was that a miss?

Obviously yes. If RVP gets injured, you're completely ******. Seriously, he's currently 50% of your team.

Cisse has scored 2 goals in 3-4 games in the league this far. Looks good as well.

KY (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 10:06 pm

redanddread wrote:Yeah, Mata was the big miss. The only one of our 2011 signings that can really be questioned seems to be Park. The OX seems to have the most potential but Gervinho should be more of a force next season, whilst I think Arteta has been mostly good he's really too slow and seems to be a more mature, upgraded version of Denilson. Per has been a great addition in defence and has provided some maturity and experience just where we needed it. I must say that I really started to like Andre Santos and can't wait for him to return to fitness. Every team worth their salt need at least one Brasilian in their ranks, right?

We've had at least one since 1999, we're still not worth much. 8)) we've been getting the dud, sideway-passing, non samba brazilians. Closest to samba probably either Edu or Eduardo...

Vela (Forum Member) on March 4th, 2012, 10:08 pm

The thing about Cisse would he have accepted being a back-up/squad player here? AW won't change the formation and play with two strikers. That's why this summer I expect AW to sign a forward who can play out wide as well.
Next

Options

tracker