Gervinho's role

arsenallegends (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 6:49 pm

How much will Gervinho contribute in our last 10 games of the season?

He's been our poorest offensive player of late almost a liability, seemingly unable to make clean passes, beat his man or find the back of the net.

My gut tells me lacks the mentality to turn it around emphatically, even with the momentum we've generated.

Last edited by arsenallegends on July 17th, 2012, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quicker than Walcott (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Not been his biggest fan so far, but he's had a stop-start season what with the ACN etc.

Let's judge him properly next season.

The Jury (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 7:00 pm

I have doubts about Gerv, but I'm also willing to give him time to get over the massive blow of failing for his country. This is also his first season in the EPL, so he gets that too, standard.

When he's playing well, he can make things happen, but I don't think he'll ever hold down a wide position, and he's kind of expensive for a sub too.

Next season will be decisive.

progman07 (Lobby Member) on March 13th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Awful player mentally... similiar to (the fit) Diaby. Luckily Miayichi is improving at a fast rate in Bolton, and will hopefully take Gervinho's place on the left wing next season.

For me, he is the next Chamakh...

GDeep (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Won't be able to judge him properly next season either though would we? The guy will be off to the African Nations again, he is going to have his first two seasons disrupted here - enough for me to wonder wether we should have moved for someone else instead.

Normally you back Wenger's french signings to come strong in their second season, not sure this will be the case with Gervinho due to his international commitments.

Looked knackered to me since his return from Guinea/Gabon.

celestis (Global Moderator) on March 13th, 2012, 7:15 pm

progman07 wrote:Awful player mentally... similiar to (the fit) Diaby. Luckily Miayichi is improving at a fast rate in Bolton, and will hopefully take Gervinho's place on the left wing next season.

For me, he is the next Chamakh...

Argh don't say that :( .

THunter (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 7:35 pm

His bottle goes in front of goal which we've all seen this season with all his misses - open goals or 1v1s. The way he wouldn't take a penalty for his country in the final also pissed me off, then when he finally had to (10th taker i think) he missed it. Show some balls ffs.

With Ox and Ryo probably getting more minutes next season, Podolski and maybe another attacker coming in and him going off to another ACN, he's going to start falling down the pecking order, for £10M i'm not liking what i'm seeing.

evoh_1 (Lobby Member) on March 13th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Gervinho needs to get that movement back on that he had before the ACN at least then he was creating space and getting into goal scoring opportunitys, now he looks ****** and distant. His finishing was terrible before but he needs to sort out some fundamentals with that and learn to strike through the ball rather than tapping it.

Thunter I thought the same of him as well and knew that he would miss that penalty which is mad considering he scored that awesome goal in the semis.

What is worse is that we could say "well give him a chance to shine with a full second season" if it weren't for the ******* afican cup of nations popping up again. Its madness that we have just let him go to one major comp in the middle of a season and will have to do the same again next season. They need to sort this out as we pay for the players wage yet they spend 2 months off without any payback to the club.

Quicker than Walcott (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 8:10 pm

WTF?! Since when is the ACN every year??? ARGH.

celestis (Global Moderator) on March 13th, 2012, 8:15 pm

You know whats funny is he did score a disallowed goal against Newcastle but it was disallowed as the free-kick was taken too quickly .

evoh_1 (Lobby Member) on March 13th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Quicker than Walcott wrote:WTF?! Since when is the ACN every year??? ARGH.

They are only doing it this once to stop a conflict with the world cup but it needs to only be every 4 years now as its such a massive demand.

perspolis (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 8:26 pm

he looked very lost! his mind was not in the game... his pace is gone!

eye4goal (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 9:36 pm

I don't think he was the right buy at the time. Our situation was desperate for a better attacker with Arshavin declining, Theo being Theo and a couple of promising teenagers in the back-ground.

AnthonyG (Administrator) on March 13th, 2012, 9:39 pm

Call me crazy, but I think he's got what it takes and will come good.

redwhiteAustrian (Global Moderator) on March 13th, 2012, 9:43 pm

You are crazy, but no less than me Ant.

I think he'll come good too, but it'll take a lot of patience and time from Wenger and the fans.
Constantly popping up ACNs won't help, though.

RUS arsenal (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 9:46 pm

I'll join you two, I think he is getting way too much stick considering what just happened at the ACN and his great form in the first half of his first season in the EPL.

realtalk (Lobby Member) on March 13th, 2012, 9:47 pm

not as lost as torres.He's more shook up from acn and He'll shake it off.

ferrarif50hunt (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 9:49 pm

AnthonyG wrote:Call me crazy, but I think he's got what it takes and will come good.

This. I think the same, I saw enough of him at Lille to know that he's a really good player.

Beksl (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 9:52 pm

AnthonyG wrote:Call me crazy, but I think he's got what it takes and will come good.

My thoughts exactly. I think he's struggling a bit to adapt to PL. That red card in the Newcastle game didn't help either and going to ACN really disrupted his progress.

yousif_arsenal (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Looks like the ACN final still in his mind he really need to forget it and start play well again, he is good winger just he need to work with his finsh its really poor hope wenger and the coaching stuff help him with that.

Armor for Sleep (Elite Member) on March 13th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Willing to give him another season as the talent is there, i just hope he's more Koscielny than Chamakh mentality wise.

Also a big f*ck you to whoever decided they had to have another ANC tournament next year. Fair enough if you want to move it to odd numbered years but why not just have the next one in 3 years time. The Euro's manage fine with a tournament every four years.

fabo (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Thought his cameo last night was similar to many of his early season displays, pre-ACN.

ebouenolike (Trusted Member) on March 13th, 2012, 10:07 pm

New country, new club, new language, no full backs, crisis of confidence, African Cup.

He'll look a lot better after a full pre season, a little competition for places and a proper full back behind him. I'm not giving up hope yet, that'd be ridiculous.

kopzilla (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 10:18 pm

I thought he looked lost as well.

For his chance to score yesterday he didn't anticipate the ball to come to him at all.

Right now his confidence is low but I think he'll be fine.

RUS arsenal (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 10:19 pm

fabo wrote:Thought his cameo last night was similar to many of his early season displays, pre-ACN.

Also, did anybody notice how much better he looked as soon as he was switched to the right side? I wonder why he gets played on the left most of the time (at ACN as well). Where did he play at Lille?

Vinci (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Why do they even have to do ACN every two years. Hate the damn cup.

Gervinho can be quite wasteful at times, but he is talented and he showed he can finish in pre-season.

Armor for Sleep (Elite Member) on March 13th, 2012, 10:23 pm

@ RUS

He played on the right at Lille mostly and i think he looks much more comfortable there for us too.

Beksl (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 10:27 pm

His best moment came from the right, where he turned Perch twice in a row in the penalty area but then bottled the pass.

RUS arsenal (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Armor for Sleep wrote:@ RUS

He played on the right at Lille mostly and i think he looks much more comfortable there for us too.

Well no wonder then, he is much more comfortable taking defenders on on the right than he is on the left.

RUS arsenal (Forum Member) on March 13th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Beksl wrote:His best moment came from the right, where he turned Perch twice in a row in the penalty area but then bottled the pass.

I think his instincts are great but his brain gets in the way when he has the time to think about the next play. He needs to learn to just trust his instincts.

Last edited by RUS arsenal on March 13th, 2012, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Options

tracker

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php