Gervinho's role

RUS arsenal (Forum Member) on August 27th, 2012, 3:32 am

dka91 wrote:Ok he didn't have his best game.

I cannot believe the reaction though, its like people forget any good he has done.

I remember times when he has looked up, and almost set up a goal (Sunderland, Cazorla shot which Podolski almost got in the way of).

One crap performance and all of a sudden he is a waste of space?

Seriously?

You know what screw it, Im not even gonna say too much, just please don't start d*ck riding and saying "I knew he'd pull through" when he does have a breakthrough.

I'm with you, one bad game and he is trash? Everybody has bad games, Cesc had them often, especially against clubs like Stoke.

Airknight (Forum Member) on August 27th, 2012, 3:45 am

Le Professeur wrote:Surprised me last week but was absolute gash again today.

Wonder if people on here still think he's better than Hazard :lol:

Don't doubt the black Pires just because he doesn't win us penalties.

Le Professeur (Forum Member) on August 27th, 2012, 10:12 am

celestis wrote:
Le Professeur wrote:Surprised me last week but was absolute gash again today.

Wonder if people on here still think he's better than Hazard :lol:

Who was saying this ?

As for Gervinho , he should be doing passing drills in training till the cows come home .

Some of the resident lobby lunatics mostly.

Shouldn't be a starter, simple as.

DK Gooner (Forum Member) on August 27th, 2012, 10:59 am

The only reason I believe that he started ahead of Theo or Chamberlain yesterday was because Wenger decided to play both Podolski and Giroud. I think those two were picked for their physicality and at times, especially Podolski, troubled the Stoke defence with their movement. However by deciding to start with those two, I think their lack of integration with the team thus far meant that Wenger could not afford to play someone like Theo who can be similarly isolated from the midfield. Gervinho despite his flaws in the final third does link up reasonably well deeper and provides decent protection defensively on the flank. On the odd occasion he does look to be a genuine threat, unfortunately this was not one of those.

Stoke also set up to play deep with a lot of men behind the ball restricting space between the back four and the GK for an outlet like Walcott to exploit. Quite possibly it was hoped that Gervinho's "better" dribbling skills would be of more use when space was compressed and had a better chance of drawing fouls. I thought he did an OK job yesterday, but given his status as the most experienced of our front three in the PL, we needed a lot more from him which he couldn't deliver.

I personally think he is going to struggle to be anything more than a squad player here. He is going to have his season disrupted by the ACN for the second year running, plus the impact of any new midfield signings alongside the return of Rosicky and Wilshere - which will mean a greater possibility of Carzola shifted forward.

MaestroCesc (Forum Member) on August 27th, 2012, 11:27 am

Only two games in and people already writing him off, he was good against Sunderland and had a bad game yesterday he deserves a chance and is a good squad player

draiocht fianna (Lobby Member) on August 27th, 2012, 11:56 am

MaestroCesc wrote:Only two games in and people already writing him off, he was good against Sunderland and had a bad game yesterday he deserves a chance and is a good squad player

I don't think its the two games this season. Its the fact this is his second season, and that people are expecting good performances after what was a disappointing first season for a big money buy.

I have nothing against him, but can anyone honestly see Gervinho getting any game time at the Manchester clubs,Chelski or even Spurs?

Players like him are taking the flak for the gradual decline in quality across the squad. Unfair, but understandable.

What frustrates me is his lack of intelligence and vision. Intelligence used to be the hallmark of Wenger signings.

outlaw_member (Forum Member) on August 27th, 2012, 12:15 pm

DJ_Markstar wrote:
Buhry wrote:
THunter wrote:Don't care if it's knee-jerk or what, but this lad is looking like one of Wenger's worst buys for the money he paid.

Was absolute dog **** today.

Can't belive we paid 10 million for him, surely his current glaring flaws must have been apparent even during his lille days. Absolutely horrible performance out there today, was very wasteful and frustarting to watch last weekend as well.

The thing about his Lille days were that he just looked a little "rough" technically against poorer defenders and poorer defences. He did easily beat his man in France and had that extra second to make a pass/score a goal that his rough technique didn't mean anything at that level.

Once he made the step up, it's been punishing for him.

Many fans usually fail to consider how a little flaw in a weaker league, can become a great flaw at a higher level. That's why I previously mentioned that you need to always downgrade a players attributes when assessing how he will cope when stepping up a rung.

I'd be surprised now if Gervinho proves me right, as I thought he will be a success.

Big Poppa (Trusted Member) on August 27th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Needs to improve his strength on the ball massively. It looks like a gust of wind will blow him over and he can't seem to even generate enough strength to hit his shots with any power.

Mudi (Forum Member) on August 28th, 2012, 12:51 am

draiocht fianna wrote:
MaestroCesc wrote:Only two games in and people already writing him off, he was good against Sunderland and had a bad game yesterday he deserves a chance and is a good squad player

I don't think its the two games this season. Its the fact this is his second season, and that people are expecting good performances after what was a disappointing first season for a big money buy.

I have nothing against him, but can anyone honestly see Gervinho getting any game time at the Manchester clubs,Chelski or even Spurs?

Players like him are taking the flak for the gradual decline in quality across the squad. Unfair, but understandable.

What frustrates me is his lack of intelligence and vision. Intelligence used to be the hallmark of Wenger signings.

Great post

I really don't understand how people can compare the situation of Gervinho with Koscielnys. When we bought Koscielny, he showed that he had something special. His only problem was to adapt to the modern football. He only played 35 ligue 1 games with Lorient so it's normal that he had to adapt!!!

Gervinho on the other hand played more than 150 Ligue 1 games. He knows how men play on the highest level.

But still adaptation is not the problem with Gervinho. Gervinho isn't smart enough to play for Arsenal. He doesn't understand that he needs to move without the ball. The only thing he does is to wait for the ball and once he received it, he starts running and tries to go pass the defender (every time the same movement).

He has no passing and shooting skills. He has no vision, creativity, technique or football knowlodge. The only thing he has is dribbling and speed. What do we need with someone like him and Walcott? (Walcott is the same but then without the dribbling).

As long as Gervinho and Walcott are playing for us, we will be very slow in our attack unless we play against teams that play open football.

Impact (Forum Member) on August 28th, 2012, 1:03 am

I understand the criticism of Gervinho but to say "He doesn't understand that he needs to move without the ball." is a completely unfounded argument - Gervinho's best attribute is his off-the-ball movement.

Anyway, it has been more of the same for me, he has looked lively without actually threatening. His end product seriously needs improving if he is to justify his place in the squad for longer than this season.

DJ_Markstar (Forum Member) on August 28th, 2012, 1:20 am

Impact wrote:I understand the criticism of Gervinho but to say "He doesn't understand that he needs to move without the ball." is a completely unfounded argument - Gervinho's best attribute is his off-the-ball movement.

Anyway, it has been more of the same for me, he has looked lively without actually threatening. His end product seriously needs improving if he is to justify his place in the squad for longer than this season.

Completely agree, not sure why people think his off the ball movement is the problem. He isolates his fullback very well and once he receives the ball he's often left one on one, which is good movement and intelligence. It's what he does on the ball that's the problem.

Yaya (Trusted Member) on August 28th, 2012, 1:49 am

Big Poppa wrote: He can't seem to even generate enough strength to hit his shots with any power.
That one shot in the first half where he kicked the ball almost towards the corner flag was pathetic. His shooting technique is almost as bad as Chamakh. Can't remember once where he hit the ball well and forced the goalkeeper into a very good save.

Mudi (Forum Member) on August 28th, 2012, 6:21 am

Impact wrote:I understand the criticism of Gervinho but to say "He doesn't understand that he needs to move without the ball." is a completely unfounded argument - Gervinho's best attribute is his off-the-ball movement.

Really, I actually never see him running between the holes of the defense. He just plays outwide and wants the ball to his feet (unless we have a counter attack. Then you see him running well but his final product is just awfull).

My criticism is actually not towards Gervinho but the lack of quality on the wings. Gervinho can be a good second choice winger but should not be a starter for us (just like Walcott). He's not a quality winger and that's what you need when you wants to play for throphies.

titi perfection (Forum Member) on September 15th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Good man Gerv. Fantastic performance, love this little player, never stops running excellent movement, got what he deserved today, 2 nice goals, can see him break into double figures this year. just give him the service and he will do damage.

TheLoneFalcon (Forum Member) on September 15th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Seems like we may have found some decent back-up for Giroud after all! :lol:

This season has been hilarious so far, in a good way.

Taylor Gang Gunners (Forum Member) on September 15th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Gervinho's role...

Centre forward :lol:

on Gervinho playing through the middle…
You know we transform all wingers into central strikers and all the strikers into wingers! I decided that during our tour of Asia when I tried to play Gervinho there against Man City in that position. I liked what he did and it was in the back of my mind. It is interesting because he is such a great mover and he is so quick so when he is central, once he gets ahead of the central defender it is difficult to catch him back.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... this-team-

mavelous (Trusted Member) on September 15th, 2012, 9:57 pm

we should have a wenger troll face in every such moment that he - once again - pulls the rabbit out of the hat.

Jbruin (Forum Member) on September 15th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Theo must be so jelly :lol:

leo_ense (Lobby Member) on September 15th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Jbruin wrote:Theo must be so jelly :lol:

:lol: guys been desperate for a striking role for years and Gervais gets the central backup role instead. To be fair I don't think Theo would have been able to do what Gervais did today in terms of movement and interchanging position. Theo strikes me as someone you need to partner in a 442 if you want him as a striker.

Anzac (Forum Member) on September 15th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Taylor Gang Gunners wrote:Gervinho's role...

Centre forward :lol:

on Gervinho playing through the middle…
You know we transform all wingers into central strikers and all the strikers into wingers! I decided that during our tour of Asia when I tried to play Gervinho there against Man City in that position. I liked what he did and it was in the back of my mind. It is interesting because he is such a great mover and he is so quick so when he is central, once he gets ahead of the central defender it is difficult to catch him back.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... this-team-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shades of things to come in these next matches perhaps?

psycho (Forum Member) on September 15th, 2012, 11:34 pm

Have reservations about his end product, but he is one tricky player man.

Seems like he has found a bit of form as well. Good on him.

Invincible (Lobby Member) on September 15th, 2012, 11:34 pm

He was fantastic today.

GunnerBP (Trusted Member) on September 15th, 2012, 11:50 pm

Gervinho as an option at CF is just brilliant. Solves a lot of problems so long as he produces, which it looks like he may.

Also, Theo might be jealous, but this will be very good for him too. With Podolski dropping deep and into the middle to get the ball that will open up space up top. With Gervinho's, and even Giroud's, movement he'll get the chance to play off the main CF almost as a second striker. And I'm sure Podolski and Cazorla will be able to spot his runs and put the ball where it needs to be.

mavelous (Trusted Member) on September 16th, 2012, 12:05 am

we tried that except with gervais on the wing and podolski up top, with the same interchangeability. i think oxlade's all-round game brings the balance to that front 3, because as efficient as podolski is, he's not a midfielder that can keep the ball as well as him.

redanddread (Forum Member) on September 16th, 2012, 1:03 am

Quote by Mudi

I really don't understand how people can compare the situation of Gervinho with Koscielnys. When we bought Koscielny, he showed that he had something special. His only problem was to adapt to the modern football. He only played 35 ligue 1 games with Lorient so it's normal that he had to adapt!!!

Gervinho on the other hand played more than 150 Ligue 1 games. He knows how men play on the highest level.

But still adaptation is not the problem with Gervinho. Gervinho isn't smart enough to play for Arsenal. He doesn't understand that he needs to move without the ball. The only thing he does is to wait for the ball and once he received it, he starts running and tries to go pass the defender (every time the same movement).

He has no passing and shooting skills. He has no vision, creativity, technique or football knowlodge. The only thing he has is dribbling and speed. What do we need with someone like him and Walcott? (Walcott is the same but then without the dribbling).

As long as Gervinho and Walcott are playing for us, we will be very slow in our attack unless we play against teams that play open football.

Another peach of a hatchet job on one of our players by some of our fans who actually with posts like this indicate that they lack the intelligence they accuse Gervinho of not having.

Well done today Gervinho and a cracking 1st goal to boot. Shame he has NO shooting skills.

It's absolutely hysterical having to see some of the members on AM having to choke on the **** they dish up in their analysis of some of our players.

mavelous (Trusted Member) on September 16th, 2012, 1:12 am

eat it

(sorry couldn't resist :lol:)

Airknight (Forum Member) on September 16th, 2012, 1:36 am

Another brilliant game from Gerv, fantastic.

Awesome to see him opening defences at will, but so far this only happens when the opposing team gives a considerable amount of space to operate, his shooting at that point doesn't matter, because with his ridiculous movement he finds himself with all the time in the world to shoot with force on target.

Give me one of these performances against parked defences, and i'll be instantly overrating him (more). Keep it up :bounce

RUS arsenal (Forum Member) on September 16th, 2012, 1:37 am

redanddread wrote:
Quote by Mudi

Another peach of a hatchet job on one of our players by some of our fans who actually with posts like this indicate that they lack the intelligence they accuse Gervinho of not having.

Well done today Gervinho and a cracking 1st goal to boot. Shame he has NO shooting skills.

It's absolutely hysterical having to see some of the members on AM having to choke on the **** they dish up in their analysis of some of our players.

Don't forget that Gervinho.....
Big Poppa wrote:...can't seem to even generate enough strength to hit his shots with any power.

:lol:

fabo (Forum Member) on September 16th, 2012, 2:06 am

And people could respond with all the **** games that Gervinho has played, and they outweigh performances like today.

Some don't do that because we're not 15 anymore.

Jbruin (Forum Member) on September 16th, 2012, 2:06 am

mavelous wrote:Image

eat it

(sorry couldn't resist :lol:)

25 more games like that and then you can start making posts like this, great performance but it's the Diaby situation all over again, we need them both to carry this form on.
Previous Next

Options

tracker