Mats Hummels

Charisma (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 6:42 pm

ARSENAL are hoping to beat Barcelona in the race to sign Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels.

Spanish football site Fichajes has it that negotiations are already underway between Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal, and the Gunners want to sign him up as soon as possible.

They also note that the asking price is likely to be £17.6m, which may be steep for Arsenal even though they have a sizeable kitty to splash out on players.

Hummels has started all of Dortmund’s Bundesliga games this season.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/372749

Weak link and 0% chance we'll get him but thought I'd just post it :mrgreen:

In my opinion, I think he'll be off to City, Madrid or PSG in the summer.

blaze_of_glory (Trusted Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 6:53 pm

CB can hardly a priority for us right now anyway, unless Wenger is planning to move one of Kos, Verms or Mert in the next year. I can't see any two of those three riding the bench regularly, which is what would happen if Hummels came here.

Unless I"m totally wrong and Hummels is not a CB??

stidds (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 6:53 pm

Charisma wrote:
ARSENAL are hoping to beat Barcelona in the race to sign Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels.

Spanish football site Fichajes has it that negotiations are already underway between Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal, and the Gunners want to sign him up as soon as possible.

They also note that the asking price is likely to be £17.6m, which may be steep for Arsenal even though they have a sizeable kitty to splash out on players.

Hummels has started all of Dortmund’s Bundesliga games this season.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/372749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weak link and 0% chance we'll get him but thought I'd just post it :mrgreen:

In my opinion, I think he'll be off to City, Madrid or PSG in the summer.

I think you would be right in thinking this, although you could insert about 20 other teams in that list before us.

Charisma (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 7:01 pm

blaze_of_glory wrote:CB can hardly a priority for us right now anyway, unless Wenger is planning to move one of Kos, Verms or Mert in the next year. I can't see any two of those three riding the bench regularly, which is what would happen if Hummels came here.

Unless I"m totally wrong and Hummels is not a CB??

Hummels is a CB and he's probably the best CB in the world at the moment. I would say even though it's not a pressing concern, we still lack something at the back. If we signed Hummels, I would get rid of one of Vermaelen, Kos or Mertesacker.

GDeep (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 7:04 pm

I told you guys on Sunday we were looking at German based CBs in the 15-20M range. Papdapoulos is another one.

I'm just waiting for mainstream media to get wind of our Modric bid last week.

ArsenesNO1Fan (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 7:15 pm

The only way this happens imo is if either Hummels or Vermalean moves to DM. Hummels is a class player no doubt but that much on a defender would seem unlikely, although the supposed asking price would likely drop a fair bit

Marquis (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 7:17 pm

GDeep wrote:

Well, one rag took your bait:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/2 ... uick-exit/

Congrats! :lol:

marv3llous (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 7:21 pm

Hummels is awesome. Pretty much #1 pick if we we want a CB.

There's no way this rumour has any truth in it though :D

GDeep (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 7:22 pm

Meh, Hummels was dogshit at the Europeans, I think Mertesacker is better but I have to pick my hands up and say I havent watched German football this season.

Wenger has eyes and cheque book focused on Germany, no doubt about that.

GDeep (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 7:26 pm

Marquis wrote:
GDeep wrote:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/2 ... uick-exit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice one, thats 2 of my exclusives picked up by mainstream media - interest in Modric and 15-20M rated German CBs.

ArseGod (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 7:26 pm

Why is this its own thread? When you open a thread with a specious article and then say there's no way f us getting him, it kind of defeats the purpose. Especially since were Arsenal and we don't sign anyone...

yousif_arsenal (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 8:09 pm

In the summer maybe? but really don't think we will even want him because dortmund will ask too much money to sell him.

Bourne (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 8:37 pm

Too good to be true. He's on my wish list, so this won't happen. :lol:

dpt49 (Banned) on January 23rd, 2013, 8:50 pm

He is quality and a definite improvement on what we have.

This is the sort of quality we should be looking at.

Saying that, he is too good for us.

Azeem Khaja (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 9:38 pm

I would be over the moon.... :)

MDGoonah41 (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 10:45 pm

hummels is the bees knees

get it done.

MDGoonah41 (Forum Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 10:55 pm

hummels - mert

vermaelen as a DM

lee1001 (Trusted Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 10:59 pm

Who would he replace? A midfielder of attacker please.

mavelous (Trusted Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 11:47 pm

GDeep wrote:
Marquis wrote:
GDeep wrote:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/2 ... uick-exit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice one, thats 2 of my exclusives picked up by mainstream media - interest in Modric and 15-20M rated German CBs.

could you stir some things up on cesc front as well? I would be eternally grateful to your highness

mavelous (Trusted Member) on January 23rd, 2013, 11:49 pm

opinion is divided on him, can we have some cynics in here to balance the furor? the circle jerk is getting embarrassing.

for starters, i don't like his name. sounds like a characters from nordic tales or something. i viking from lord of the rings perhaps. plus i hear he has the same mobility problem as mertesacker.

jones (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 12:14 am

His name means literally Bumblebees, make of that what you will.

Don't rate him that high either, similar level to our CBs, slightly higher at best. Wouldn't help us much because he suffers from the same lapses of concentration as our current bunch. He's a CB that is praised mostly for his technical ability btw, don't see how that kind of CB is what we lack tbh.

GDeep (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 12:27 am

You would think we were linked with Thiago Silva with some of the comments in here. Our interest is genuine though, Howedes and Papadopoulos are targets too, for the summer. Like I reported over the weekend.

mo50 (Elite Member) on January 24th, 2013, 12:30 am

GDeep wrote:Nice one, thats 2 of my exclusives picked up by mainstream media - interest in Modric and 15-20M rated German CBs.

I reckon its time you started a twitter account mate. The forum is too small an audience for you.

@GDeepArsenal. I'll be our first follower.

MDGoonah41 (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 12:33 am

if hummels is overrated, then who are the world class centerbacks? thiago silva and chiellini. okay, so there are 2 world class CBs in the game today, excellent.

6'3, not a sloth, good header of the ball, good technical ability, and just turned 24.

hes much better than our 3 centerbacks, imo. one so-so euros doesn't make him overrated or even average.

good passer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR46hyrCCI4
good defender: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BitBv8B48UQ

pg1989 (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 12:42 am

As much as I'd like us to be in the hunt for a world class CB i just can't see us bringing someone in before selling one of Vers/Per/Kos.
Would be more suprised at this happening than Cavani.

jones (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 1:07 am

MDGoonah41 wrote:if hummels is overrated, then who are the world class centerbacks? thiago silva and chiellini. okay, so there are 2 world class CBs in the game today, excellent.

6'3, not a sloth, good header of the ball, good technical ability, and just turned 24.

hes much better than our 3 centerbacks, imo. one so-so euros doesn't make him overrated or even average.

good passer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR46hyrCCI4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
good defender: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BitBv8B48UQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, Thiago Silva and Chiellini are far superior defenders, I rate the likes of Ramos, Bonucci and even Mascherano higher than the German, Piqué on form and Pepe when in human mode as well. And no, I'm not basing this on his horrible Euros performances but on his matches that I watch every week. Those videos aren't anything special, one could easily create videos like that of Vermaelen or Koscielny, especially Vermaelen who's a very similar defender.

He wouldn't improve our defensive record, I'm almost positive about that. We'd need someone like Chiellini, who's first and foremost a defender and could organise our back four on his own, not somebody like Hummels who lacks that kind of maturity and loves to drive forward.

Kanonier (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 1:16 am

In my opinion, I would prefer that we get Benedikt Höwedes from FC Schalke 04. He's 6'2", 24 years old, and much better than Hummels. I would then play Mertesacker and Höwedes as CBs with Koscielny in the rotation and move Vermaelen to play as our starting defensive midfielder. I think that he would be a beast there!

mr.mojo (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 2:43 am

seeing as wenger doesn't seem set on getting a proper DM, i really wish we could sign a new CB and play TV as a DM. i always thought he could be a bit like gokhan inler, decent technically, but a good tackler, aggressive, feared by a lot of midfielders, and a good on-field leader. Plus it would give his license to get forward more, which he wants to do anyway, and we miss his goals a little.

I always rated howedes as a more mobile, smaller mert. quicker, but still organises a defense and would compliment Kos very well.

redanddread (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 2:53 am

Not sure why we would (a) move TV5 to a defensive midfielder or (b) have to sell one of our 3 existing CB's if we purchased Hummels

Has TV5 ever played DM in his career?

I thought we wanted to have 4 quality CB's in our squad.

The Germans are coming!

pg1989 (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 3:10 am

Because they're not going to accept sitting on the bench. All three are international calibre players for good countries, it's not like Djourou and even he refused to be 4th choice. None of them are young enough to be sitting on the bench at this stage of their career. They're not going to want to be 4th choice. Maybe for a Real Madrid or Barcelona but not for Arsenal.
Next

tracker