Ashley Williams

Sam the Duck (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 11:44 am

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... le-1551772

Battle of Wills: Arsenal and Liverpool are both tracking Swansea's Ashley Williams

Rodgers is keen to raid his former club for the Wales defender once self-imposed transfer embargo expires - but faces competition from Wenger

Liverpool and Arsenal are set for a summer transfer tussle over £8million-rated Swansea defender Ashley Williams.

Anfield manager Brendan Rodgers is keen to take his former Swans captain to Merseyside to bolster his defensive options.

But Rodgers faces competition from Arsenal, whose boss Arsène Wenger has had the 28-year-old watched several times this season.

Although Rodgers bought midfielder Joe Allen from Swansea when he took over at Liverpool, he agreed not to poach any more of his former players for a year.

But the Anfield boss is likely to make a move for centre-back Williams at the end of this season, once that transfer embargo with his old club has expired.

Wenger is a big admirer of Williams and, like Rodgers, is looking for more stability in defence, with the Wales captain being viewed as a viable option for the Gunners.

Williams signed a new three-year contract last October, but Swansea are understood to be bracing themselves for a flurry of bids in the summer.

GoonerBoy19 (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 12:38 pm

£8million-rated Swansea defender Ashley Williams

We can get better players for that price. We are looking for Squids/Djourou's replacement though.

Glovegun (Trusted Member) on January 24th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Cracking centre-back but not gonna come here to sit on the bench.

fabo (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Per out, Williams in. Boom.

Dokaka (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Glovegun wrote:Cracking centre-back but not gonna come here to sit on the bench.

Not sure about that. Swansea to Arsenal is a massive step up, and it's not like any of your current CBs are nailed on starters except for Vermaelen, and you get the feeling that that's solely because of the armband.

Quicker than Walcott (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Verms has been better recently. But you have a point.

baccy_man (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 2:17 pm

fabo wrote:Per out, Williams in. Boom.

I would'nt mind seeing a replacement for Per he slows our game down too much and has a tendancy to get caught on the ball.

DOUBLE-YOU (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 2:20 pm

If i was Williams, i wouldn't swap playing regular football for swansea (who are in a cup final) to play for liverpool or arsenal. Maybe in July

dpt49 (Banned) on January 24th, 2013, 2:25 pm

DOUBLE-YOU wrote:If i was Williams, i wouldn't swap playing regular football for swansea (who are in a cup final) to play for liverpool or arsenal. Maybe in July

I take your point but the League Cup Final between Swansea and Bradford is not exactly going to be a clash of the titans :wink:

If it was a choice of losing out of playing for one of the top teams in Europe or a League Cup Final. I know what I would choose.

marv3llous (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 2:27 pm

He actually intrigues me. He seems to do well in a style we play and he seems to have character and fighting spirit. Anyone watched him closely enough to say how his brainfart ratio-to-conceded goals is?

fabo (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 2:28 pm

I was half-joking with the Per comment, but I do think we should move one of our current CB's on if we can get a good defender in.

Williams looks good but not sure he is that player tbh.

Glovegun (Trusted Member) on January 24th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Dokaka wrote:
Glovegun wrote:Cracking centre-back but not gonna come here to sit on the bench.

Not sure about that. Swansea to Arsenal is a massive step up, and it's not like any of your current CBs are nailed on starters except for Vermaelen, and you get the feeling that that's solely because of the armband.

Well, I suppose a better way of phrasing it is that I don't see Wenger bringing in a centre-half of that quality when what we need is a decent squad option.

evoh_1 (Lobby Member) on January 24th, 2013, 3:25 pm

I'd rather get chico flores in

ModelGooner (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Not good enough. Next.

GDeep (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 3:48 pm

If he was in the 24-27 age range, I would say Williams would have been the perfect transfer target for us, I like him.

He's very robust, which I like.

GoOnYouGunners (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Good player, but is getting a 4th center-back really a priority right now? I don't see this one happening.

Sydney Gooner (Banned) on January 24th, 2013, 4:19 pm

I think we should get him just for attempting to kill Judas.

rich 1990 (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Looks too much like Glen Johnson (facially) for my liking. NEXT!

Airknight (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Williams? you mean Van Persie's bully?

Seems commited with his team.

a_fourteen (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 4:39 pm

why isnt the academy producing defenders? what happened to miquel?

oh to be a goon (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Miquel is injured (I think), and there is another good prospect moving up the ranks named Isaac Hayden.

Vinci (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 5:37 pm

He is a good player, but I doubt he will improve the defence much. There is a general lack of organization, even a world class CB would struggle with that.

pg1989 (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 6:10 pm

I'm sure his attempt to 'kill' Van Persie will resonate with sections of our fan base. Can't say I've seen a whole lot of him playing but Swansea always prove difficult opponents when we face them.

mistaT (Trusted Member) on January 24th, 2013, 8:31 pm

I'd rather a RB or LB than another CB.

Angel Rangel to compete with Jenko?

pg1989 (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 8:43 pm

I'm a fan of Rangel but he's a similar level to Sagna and getting on in years so couldn't see it happening without Bacary leaving. Think Jenkinson has the future RB spot all but tied up.

Bigbludfire (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 8:51 pm

mistaT wrote:I'd rather a RB or LB than another CB.

Angel Rangel to compete with Jenko?

I think they're both very similar players which would help Jenkinson brush up on his game but it wouldn't take him to the next level. He's a really humble guy too apparently

The Jury (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 8:59 pm

I'll throw something at the wall if we're seriously looking at Williams having passed over Mbiwa.

truth_hurts (Forum Member) on January 24th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Good player who's proven very competent in the Premier League. Very unlikely though.

psycho (Forum Member) on January 25th, 2013, 12:13 pm

I would take him and he would most likely end up starting. Would be a very good summer signing imo.

truth_hurts (Forum Member) on January 25th, 2013, 12:24 pm

psycho wrote:I would take him and he would most likely end up starting. Would be a very good summer signing imo.

Agree he offers Metresackers physical frame, Vermaelens aggression and Koscielny's composure. He probably isn't as good as any but his all round skill set is impressive.
Next

tracker