Date:5th September 2022 at 4:30pm
Written by:

Arsenal saw their five-game winning start to the season come to an end after a double from Marcus Rashford condemned the Gunners to a 3-1 defeat at Old Trafford on Sunday.


Despite putting up a strong performance, Arsenal succumbed to their first defeat of the campaign in a 3-1 defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford; a result that ended the Gunners’ five-game winning run.

The game started on a strong note, with both sides boasting early chances. Christian Eriksen saw his volley ripple the side-netting before William Saliba fluffed his efforts wide when a deflected Granit Xhaka shot landed in his path.

After 12 minutes, Arsenal thought they had found the early breakthrough, Saka placed a perfect pass through to Martinelli who ran straight at goal and fired past David de Gea with ease.

However, VAR was called upon and referee Paul Tierney was told to check for a foul by Martin Odegaard in the build-up, and he changed his on-field decision. The Gunners captain was adjourned to have fouled Christian Eriksen just before his pass to Saka.

United then went ahead before half-time through Antony. However, Arsenal levelled matters back through Bukayo Saka, who grabbed his first goal of the season.

But Eric ten Hag’s team swiftly got back in front through Rashford, who would complete his brace to condemn the Gunners to their first defeat of the campaign.


Arsenal did put up a fight and were probably unlucky to have lost by that scoreline. After injuries to key men, Albert Sambi Lokonga evidently struggled in midfield and it was apparent that Mikel Arteta’s men were lacking a real presence in the middle of the park.

Despite the defeat, Arsenal still remain top of the league but only by a point as Manchester City and fierce rivals Tottenham are just one point behind in second and third respectively.

Arsenal’s ruled-out goal in the first half continues to bring many talking points but it’s back to the drawing board after we were punished for not being as clinical enough as the opposition.

The defeat also marked the first time that Arsenal conceded a goal in the first half of a Premier League game this season.


It was just not our day and we were punished for not making the most of our chances. Regardless, there were positives to take from the game and we can only look to bounce back in style when we take on Everton at the Emirates this Saturday.

Just before then, the Gunners will turn their attention to the Europa League on Thursday when they travel to Switzerland to face FC Zurich in their first game of the continental competition.


Comments are closed.