• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yohan Cabaye

• Thread starter KY
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,056
  • Views 151,712

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Fee isn't the issue, his wages are. You might end up with a £70k+ a week bench player pushing 30 with little to no resale value.

There are more interesting options out there, at least in my opinion. Krychowiak at Sevilla has been awesome this season. He's build like a tank, 25, great defensively and a decent passer.

La Liga is where it's at right now. Hell, if Wenger want more of a versatile player, he could even go for someone like Parejo from Valencia. Been really impressed with him this season. He's a bit more Wilshere than Arteta though.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

La Liga is where it's at right now. Hell, if Wenger want more of a versatile player, he could even go for someone like Parejo from Valencia. Been really impressed with him this season. He's a bit more Wilshere than Arteta though.

La Liga is indeed where it's at. Parejo is a bit more of a B2B for me although he's adapted to a deeper role. Camacho is having a good season.

Sergi Darder is one to watch for me, got all the tools to be a Xabi Alonso type player, great passing, strong tackler and dangerous long shots. 6'0 as well. He's not that young but I think he could be world class.

Last edited:

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I personally really like Parejo's ability to get the ball from the defense and into the final 3rd at a quick pace. He reminds me a bit of Modric, although you've probably seen a lot more of him that I have.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Don't get me wrong he is very, very good. Probably went a bit far with Darder, he could be Xabi but probably won't get there.

Best young DM in Spain right now is probably Saul. Would prefer him at Arsenal than Atletico, we don't use him as well as we should and it's caused positional problems with Koke and other midfielders.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I don't see why Wenger wouldn't spend big on a CM? I mean Schneiderlin will most likely leave this summer as he wanted out last summer but had to stay. He's also stated he wants to see where Southampton end up and decide his future then. If we don't buy him then Spuds or Liverpool most likley will unless someone outside the EPL wants him. The only problem is how good Coquelin has been and weather Wenger will keep Arteta and Flamini. I'd love to see Flamini go tbh, he's an awful player and shouldn't be anywhere need the Arsenal 1st team. So unless he's looking elsewhere to spend big, i.e striker or keeper, which both are unlikley then I think we'll move for Schneiderlin. Squad depth is key, especially seeing the amount of injuries we had, we could replace flamini with Schneiderlin meaning him Coq and Arteta can all rotate to keep each other fresh. Also no reason this wouldn't work:

Coquelin Schneiderlin
Özil

I think if were going to sign any realistic big player it should be Schneiderlin, then Cech if hes cheap. As we have seen this year, we are not far from a proper proper title challenge, and who knows what is still to happen.

BobP

Memri Fan
His age kills it, but had he been a little younger he would have been the ideal signing, can play in all three midfield positions.

BobP

Memri Fan
From what I've seen of him I didn't actually think Saul was considered a DM, seems quite mobile and too versatile to be shoved into that box if I'm not mistaken.

See him as a bit of a shuttler like a Ramsey of sorts.

elber82

Think Wenger is far more likely to bring in someone like Cabaye for £10mil than splash £25-£30mil on a Schneiderlin.

I wouldn't be against this signing. Cabaye isn't exactly old, he's versatile, has premier league experience, the quality and technical game to slot right into the team, and you know he'll be extra motivated to do well with the Euros coming up next year.

For £10m?? It's a good deal, take it!!!

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
His passing is pure class but he isn't a DM, imagine Coq/Ramsey are injured and we pick a midfield of any 3 of Cabaye, Wilshere, Cazorla and Özil. We'd get over run and bullied.

Fee isn't the issue, his wages are. You might end up with a £70k+ a week bench player pushing 30 with little to no resale value.

On 55k apparently. But is he defensively good enough to play as a DM?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He was France's starting DM for the past two tournaments that they've been involved in basically. Plus he's versatile so I can see why Wenger would like him, ideal Arteta replacement for a few years.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He was France's starting DM for the past two tournaments that they've been involved in basically. Plus he's versatile so I can see why Wenger would like him, ideal Arteta replacement for a few years.

Won't be starting DM anymore I hope. If Coquelin doesn't get the job I'd be stunned.

Iceman10

Established Member
Versatility is why I fear we may end up with him even though he is far from being the best option. Would be a step backwards IMO, top quality is what we want from here on, other signings mainly being youth prospects.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Would have appealed last January but not so much now. Is he a better footballer than Coquellin? Yes, is he proven in the premier league? yes,is he attainable? yes.

Is he a better fit for our midfield than Coquellin? probably not, is he the only available target who has proven themself in the premier league? no, is he the best attainable target? no for me.

Am neutral on the idea of this.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I would like to give a chance to Coq he has shown that he is more then capable of playing as a holding midfielder, the only thing we lack from there is some creativity in Arteta, but as long that balance in the team is better with Coq then with a creative DM i am more then happy with Coq starting next season.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Wenger should of gone for Cabaye from Lille when Cesc left. I watched a few full match compilations, everythings an incisive forward pass from him pretty much.

elber82

Wenger should of gone for Cabaye from Lille when Cesc left. I watched a few full match compilations, everythings an incisive forward pass from him pretty much.
Wenger doesn't bother going for the French players that are actually worth getting these days. How he stood back and watched the likes of Cabaye and Ben Arfa join Newcastle, Lloris go to Sp**s and let Juventus nab Pogba is a bloody mystery. In the mean time we've ended up with dross like Silvestre, Squillaci, Flamini and Sanogo.

Last edited:

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Wenger doesn't bother going for the French players that are actually worth getting these days. How he stood back and watched the likes of Cabaye and Ben Arfa join Newcastle, Lloris go to Sp**s and let Juventus nab Pogba is a bloody mystery. In the mean time we've ended up with dross like Silvestre, Squillaci, and Sanogo.

Just gonna conveniently leave out the likes of Kos, Giroud, Sagna and Debuchy? Were those guys 'worth getting' or nah? We did actually try and sign Cabaye from Newcastle but weren't willing to match Newcastle's asking price. Proof is in the pudding really, PSG paid double what we offered and he can't buy a game for them atm.

Ben Arfa...surprised you even mentioned him. Where's he at now? At the time Spuds signed Lloris we had a very promising young keeper in Szczesny coming through and Wenger never saw the need to go out and get another GK. Pogba reached an agreement with Juve extremely early, they could get him on a pre-contract when we couldn't due to their being an Italian team, SAF said in an interview Pogba had left Yanited "a long time ago" as far as he was aware. Yeah, we've had some duds but Wenger has got it right more than he's got it wrong, that's for damn sure.

elber82

Just gonna conveniently leave out the likes of Kos, Giroud, Sagna and Debuchy? Were those guys 'worth getting' or nah? We did actually try and sign Cabaye from Newcastle but weren't willing to match Newcastle's asking price. Proof is in the pudding really, PSG paid double what we offered and he can't buy a game for them atm.

Ben Arfa...surprised you even mentioned him. Where's he at now? At the time Spuds signed Lloris we had a very promising young keeper in Szczesny coming through and Wenger never saw the need to go out and get another GK. Pogba reached an agreement with Juve extremely early, they could get him on a pre-contract when we couldn't due to their being an Italian team, SAF said in an interview Pogba had left Yanited "a long time ago" as far as he was aware. Yeah, we've had some duds but Wenger has got it right more than he's got it wrong, that's for damn sure.
Sagna signed 8 years ago though, when I said these days I meant last 3-4 years. Koscielny didn't start well and has only developed into the accomplished player he is because Wenger has been patient and worked on him, same with Giroud. Debuchy wasn't worth getting.

I'm aware we made a measly bid for Cabaye, we could have signed him for half the price to replace Fabregas. It's not as if he was an unknown quantity, ran the Lille midfield in their championship winning year. Ben Arfa is a bit of a special talent who would have flourished here with better players and Wenger's guidance.

As for Lloris and Szczesny, that's yet another example of Wenger putting the development of a youngster ahead of the best interests of the team. I dont give a crap how promising Szczesny was, when a world class keeper, entering his prime becomes available for as little as £8mil you tell the youngster to sit the hell down, watch and learn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom