• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

“We need another player who gets 10 or 15 goals" - Wenger

Anzac

Established Member
Would be nice if we could do both, I guess it comes down to personal opinion on how you can go about winning games, you can go aggressive offensive like Pool last season / the invicibles and put they game to bed early doors or you can go for a mix of stability and offensive guile ala Chelsea this season

I guess I have seen so many attempts since the invicibles to try and win based on attacking play and flare for so long and letting ourselves down at the back that I would like to try the defensive stability route instead :)

It certainly feels like injuries in the midfield and a lack of defensive cover have been what has scuppered us this season rather than lack of goals

IMO it's a consequence of this collective approach to both attacking /goal scoring & defending, without necessarily having the players suited to do either score or defend = it's the imbalance of too many creative ball players.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Am i the only one who still sees a top class striker as number one priority?

Then what? Waste Sanchez there? No thank you.

We need a top notch striker again, it would improve us so much. Someone who can get you a goal out of nothing with technique/finishing/speed.
Also i would love to see a player at Arsenal again who can strike the ball immediatly and accurate like Henry or RvP, someone who does not need 2-3 ball controls to be able to fire off.

Isn't that guy Sanchez?

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
To be honest I would rather see Campbell, Akpom and Gnabry get game time and we spend on CM as we are far more unreliable in that position right now with Ramsey, Wilshere, Arteta all catching injuries and thats before you even mention Diaby.
If you had to choose between getting another offensive player or getting another CM what would you go for?

Personally I would let the younger players have more game time offensively and pay some good money for a decent CM so that we don't have to see Flamini / Arteta (sorry) straight in our team when wilshere and Ramsey take their annual 3 months out with injury

Two of those are loaned out, you can "see" them if you want. I've seen a lot of Campbell for Villarreal and he's been absolutely terrible, no way does he deserve game time here. His time is over imo.

Anzac

Established Member
Am i the only one who still sees a top class striker as number one priority?
We have so many options on the wing, even more so when Walcott and Gnabry are back. Also Ox impressed me a lot this season.
Having Sanchez on the left or right there is only one spot free for Ox/Walcott/Gnabry or even Welbeck.
All of those 4 got quite some pace and offer different qualities.

Then we got Giroud as a striker - what if he is only on a purple patch now!? What if he gets injured? Welbeck up front again - only good imo if we want to press, can't hold up the ball, don't even want to speak about his finishing.
Walcott is not even an option as a CF for me.
Then what? Waste Sanchez there? No thank you.

We need a top notch striker again, it would improve us so much. Someone who can get you a goal out of nothing with technique/finishing/speed.
Also i would love to see a player at Arsenal again who can strike the ball immediatly and accurate like Henry or RvP, someone who does not need 2-3 ball controls to be able to fire off.

Imo we got enough players at every position, maybe in some only in numbers but not quality (LB/DM) but for the CF we got only one in number and quality.

I think it would be easier to add goals via a WF/ST as IMO Aw wants to retain this current set up based around Giroud as CF.
Given the choice I'd replace Giroud with Lukaku but still have goal scoring capability from elsewhere to compliment.

Anzac

Established Member
Reus isn't exactly ever-fit guy and Firmino only has 1 prolific season, and I am not convinced with the rest.

neither is Wenger by the looks of it, hence what he said.

I don't subscribe to the idea that our solution is based upon current internal options.
Hell I'd rather play 4312 than rely upon Giroud as lone CF.

Anzac

Established Member
Isn't that guy Sanchez?

and then there was 1????
As I said earlier IMO the core issue is the collective approach to both attack & defence. Back in The Invincibles we had 3 primary/regular goal scorers in TH, Pires & Ljungberg, with both DB & PV adding in more reliably than our current options.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
and then there was 1????
As I said earlier IMO the core issue is the collective approach to both attack & defence. Back in The Invincibles we had 3 primary/regular goal scorers in TH, Pires & Ljungberg, with both DB & PV adding in more reliably than our current options.
that post was pretty much responding to this line,
Also i would love to see a player at Arsenal again who can strike the ball immediately and accurate like Henry or RvP, someone who does not need 2-3 ball controls to be able to fire off.

And about your post, I believe Wenger also share your view that we should be reliant to a single goal scorer but more focused on sharing goals evenly in our team.
We clearly see the signs that Wenger learned (the hard way) whenever our 30 goals player left (or injured) our attacks were literally blunt, from Greedy and Judas departure.

We are beginning to move back toward the times of Invicibles where goals are shared in our team almost evenly in comparison to the days of Cesc where we are reliant to the CF and AM to provide chances and goals.

Anzac

Established Member
How about Schurrle? That guy looks like a German Walcott...

I would have liked him before he went to CFC, but I don't see Wolfsburg being in any hurry to sell.
I think he's better than Walcott - same for any number of players.
IMO the 2 attributes Walcott has over many are pace & his runs ioff the ball. That said I think the likes of Lacazette can also provide this having worked as SS.

Anzac

Established Member
that post was pretty much responding to this line,

And about your post, I believe Wenger also share your view that we should be reliant to a single goal scorer but more focused on sharing goals evenly in our team.
We clearly see the signs that Wenger learned (the hard way) whenever our 30 goals player left (or injured) our attacks were literally blunt, from Greedy and Judas departure.

We are beginning to move back toward the times of Invicibles where goals are shared in our team almost evenly in comparison to the days of Cesc where we are reliant to the CF and AM to provide chances and goals.

Yeah IMO we dumbed down our capability far too much towards the equality of the collective post RVP = for far too long we were ****e and incapable of scoring goals reliably in the clinches.
Walcott hasn't been able to stay fit long enough to be a reliable 2nd option, and Giroud wasn't reliable enough to be primary option, and the CM/AMs were/are primarily creators not finishers.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Watched Bayer Leverkusen yesterday again. Not convinced about either Bellarabi or Firmino.

My favourite additional goalscorer would be Griezmann.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Is Higuain still banging them in?

He is good finisher can score 15-20 goals in the season without problem but every time i watch him with Napoli i'm not impressed with his all round game he just waiting in the box for the ball come to him unlike Giroud who try to create spaces for him teammates, the Napoli fans are not impressed with Higuain work rate this season.

infineon

Established Member
A quick check on Wikipedia would contradict this statement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003–04_Arsenal_F.C._season#Player_statistics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–08_Arsenal_F.C._season

I do not really see much difference. A similar range of goal scorers in both seasons. Most seasons there was always one leading goal scorer, one deputy with a solid 10+ and then a selection of players who chipped in a few goals (1-10).

The exception is probably 2009/10 squad which was quite frankly a bit poor that year.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Welbeck frustrates the life out of me, his natural attributes (speed, close control, balance, stamina) all top notch. But his decision making and predatory instinct is severely lacking. If Wenger can turn Welbeck into a goalscorer that'll be one of his greatest accomplishments IMO.

That said, he turned shot-shy Cesc into a CAM who was capable of double figures, so maybe it's not that much of a stretch.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Welbeck frustrates the life out of me, his natural attributes (speed, close control, balance, stamina) all top notch. But his decision making and predatory instinct is severely lacking. If Wenger can turn Welbeck into a goalscorer that'll be one of his greatest accomplishments IMO.

That said, he turned shot-shy Cesc into a CAM who was capable of double figures, so maybe it's not that much of a stretch.
Welbeck need to work alot in training with his finishing hopefully Wenger can make Welbeck better.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I reckon there is a good fwd waiting to come out , lord knows his athletic ability is superior to just about anything in the league ,it's unbelievable . Cesc was actually quite prolific as a kid and top scorer at one of the junior WC's
that Spain won .

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I reckon there is a good fwd waiting to come out , lord knows his athletic ability is superior to just about anything in the league ,it's unbelievable . Cesc was actually quite prolific as a kid and top scorer at one of the junior WC's
that Spain won .

Yeah there's a lot to work with with Welbeck, his performances for England are testament to that, dude plays like El-Phenomeno himself. As for Cesc I had no idea! I just remember him being a kid here and looking for a pass every time there was an opportunity to go for goal himself.

I suppose you learn something new every day :D

Last edited:

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Wenger comments sounds to me he's challenging players to step up. We have players capable of reaching this target:

Ramsey - if he finds last season form.

Cazorla - currently has 7 league goals and in his first season got 12 league goals for us.

Walcott - scored 14 league goals the season before last but for whatever reason has fallen down the pecking order for Wenger.

Welbeck - has never reached that target in his career (although came close once with 9 goals in 15 games started one season)but his international form suggests he does have potential.

Özil - yet to reach the 10 goal league mark in his career however has got 9 in 23 games for Madrid and has got 9 league goals with Bremen previously.

I think this is it really, Wenger wants Özil to add more goals and he has been doing so and can continue to improve. Welbeck and Chamberlain need to improve their end product.

All 3 of those happening is probably as exciting as a new signing.

Top Bottom