• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

“We need another player who gets 10 or 15 goals" - Wenger

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
I think this is it really, Wenger wants Özil to add more goals and he has been doing so and can continue to improve. Welbeck and Chamberlain need to improve their end product.

All 3 of those happening is probably as exciting as a new signing.

I don't even think Özil - or Cazorla for that matter - have to be the ones to add goals.

I think we have four proven 15+ goal a season scorers already. Giroud and Alexis we can pretty much count on. Theo is 15+ if he can stay fit. Ramsey can hit 15 if he returns to last seasons form.

In addition to them we have Ox, Wilshere and Welbeck who can all chip in with more goals than they are this year if they keep developing.

Our fullbacks usually chip in with a few goals a season as do our CBs from set pieces. I would prefer Özil focus on being a 20+ assists a season player rather than trying to get him to score more goals which isn't really his natural style.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Big ask to expect 10-15 goals from our existing secondary scoring options.

Welbeck has phenomenal physical attributes. I would like to see him race Theo but I fear they would just create some sort of incredibly fast technically lacking black hole . If Wenger can do even half of what he did to Adebayor to Welbeck then he can be that player.

Otherwise just get Reus already, the guy is capable of contributing to 30-40 goals a season. Gives us pace and clinical finishing without completely ridding of us build up and creativity in the final third (which is why Wenger has dropped Theo imo).

(which is why Wenger has dropped Theo imo).

But is that true? It has never been problem before.

I thought Theo was just coming back from a one year injury and that our team has no place for players finding back their forms at the moment.

We will just have to see in summer what is happening with Theo.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
TBH I'd rather see Rambo as DLP & have someone like Kondogbia as B2B. Alternatively sign someone like Aranguiz who can shoot from distance.
Rambo as DLP works as well, just like in Wales, I think that's his best position
It's not the position I am talking about, more about the long range shots ala Lampard

Anzac

Established Member
Rambo as DLP works as well, just like in Wales, I think that's his best position
It's not the position I am talking about, more about the long range shots ala Lampard

My first memories of Rambo are him playing a DLP role in the CCup squad & Wilshere as RWF coming inside behind the forward line and linking with Rambo akin to what we saw in 07-08 with Fabregas and Hleb.
IIRC Rambo was made Welsh Captain and was scoring from outside the area at international level, and has done so for us akin to his screamer this season.

IMO Rambo is an internal option to replace Arteta in the DLP role & I'd rather sign a power player as B2B - not only to replace Rambo's role but also Diaby.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
My first memories of Rambo are him playing a DLP role in the CCup squad & Wilshere as RWF coming inside behind the forward line and linking with Rambo akin to what we saw in 07-08 with Fabregas and Hleb.
IIRC Rambo was made Welsh Captain and was scoring from outside the area at international level, and has done so for us akin to his screamer this season.

IMO Rambo is an internal option to replace Arteta in the DLP role & I'd rather sign a power player as B2B - not only to replace Rambo's role but also Diaby.

Same thought here, heck I am pretty much dislike Ramsey anywhere else other than CM for Ramsey, and DLP is where he shines the most.
He is pretty much a Welsh Gerrard for me

Anzac

Established Member
Same thought here, heck I am pretty much dislike Ramsey anywhere else other than CM for Ramsey, and DLP is where he shines the most.
He is pretty much a Welsh Gerrard for me

With better passing & creativity.
For mind Gerrard was a CMA / B2B much like Rambo has been playing this season,
whilst Lampard was a truer B2B in style of play re his late runs as Rambo was playing last season.
Difference being Gerrard works on the ball in with the attack whereas Lampard works off the ball from behind the attack in a more supporting role, and it's the latter contribution I want from Rambo.
It's the same with Wilshere in that he likes to work on the ball as part of the attack.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
I don't even think Özil - or Cazorla for that matter - have to be the ones to add goals.

I think we have four proven 15+ goal a season scorers already. Giroud and Alexis we can pretty much count on. Theo is 15+ if he can stay fit. Ramsey can hit 15 if he returns to last seasons form.

In addition to them we have Ox, Wilshere and Welbeck who can all chip in with more goals than they are this year if they keep developing.

Our fullbacks usually chip in with a few goals a season as do our CBs from set pieces. I would prefer Özil focus on being a 20+ assists a season player rather than trying to get him to score more goals which isn't really his natural style.

A CAM should score 10 to 15 goals ideally, why not? Fabregas managed too, Özil should be capable of doing the same.

It's a weakness of Özil's that he panics in front of goal and is almost scared to shoot at times but he is improving this. I see him as becoming a goal scorer in the future as he continues to develop

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
A CAM should score 10 to 15 goals ideally, why not? Fabregas managed too, Özil should be capable of doing the same.

Because Özil is a different type of player and we have a different team now. Wenger didn't buy Özil to get 15 goals a game. He bought him because he was Europe's assist leader of the 4 years prior and has superb close control and decision making.

The most goals Özil ever scored in a season is 10. Its silly to expect Özil to be scoring 15+ goals for us when that's never been his game. Again I much rather Özil gets 20+ assists than tries to score 15 goals. Expecting Özil to score 15+ is just not understanding the player or the team and having unrealistic expectations.

We have plenty of players who can score goals and especially if buy someone like Reus or Lacazette to replace Theo if he leaves in the summer. Then we have a front 3 where all three are capable of netting 20+ a season. Let Özil do what he did at Real and provide the pinpoint passes to open up our front 3.

It's a weakness of Özil's that he panics in front of goal and is almost scared to shoot at times but he is improving this. I see him as becoming a goal scorer in the future as he continues to develop

Not sure why you want the best passer in the world to try to become more goal scorer when
1) that is just not his game and never has been
and
2) we have plenty of goal scorers in other positions.

Our team flows when Özil is doing what he does best and passing and controlling the game to open up our goal scorers.

If he gets 7-10 goals a year, some from free kicks like he showed last week, and starts racking up the assists again with our potent offense that will be excellent for us. I'd rather he works on his dead ball shot and becomes a true FK threat for us than score more in open play.

The last thing I want to see is Özil trying to be Stevie Me taking speculative shots trying to up his goal scoring when that is completely unnecessary.

a_fourteen

Established Member
So who are the 15 goal players in the squad?
Giroud
Sanchez
Walcott
Ramsey
Welbeck should be aiming to be on the list as well.

Anzac

Established Member
Because Özil is a different type of player and we have a different team now. Wenger didn't buy Özil to get 15 goals a game. He bought him because he was Europe's assist leader of the 4 years prior and has superb close control and decision making.

I'd believe this more if we were freer in our attacking play.
IMO it's part of the point I was trying to make elsewhere re our passing to feet.
As such I don't think AW bought Özil to be an assist maker, but rather because at the same time he is also the most efficient player on the ball in the final 3rd. Aw has spoken a number of times this season about improving our efficiency in both defence and attack, and he has said that is why he likes to keep Özil on the pitch even when defending the game, because he is so good on & with the ball & retaining possession.

Anzac

Established Member
So who are the 15 goal players in the squad?
Giroud
Sanchez
Walcott
Ramsey
Welbeck should be aiming to be on the list as well.

If you are counting Walcott you may as well count Podolski.

Walcott's had 1 season where he's scored more than a dozen goals in total;
Rambo's had 1 season where he's scored double figures;
Welbeck's done it twice;
even Podolski has done so in both his previous 2 seasons with us.

IMO bottom line if we want another 15 goals per season scorer then we buy someone who is suited to our style requirements, likely to get playing opportunities to contribute, and proven to be a reliable goal scorer as opposed to playing primarily as a creator. The issue with internal options is reliability re injuries as much as anything.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
I'd believe this more if we were freer in our attacking play.
IMO it's part of the point I was trying to make elsewhere re our passing to feet.
As such I don't think AW bought Özil to be an assist maker, but rather because at the same time he is also the most efficient player on the ball in the final 3rd. Aw has spoken a number of times this season about improving our efficiency in both defence and attack, and he has said that is why he likes to keep Özil on the pitch even when defending the game, because he is so good on & with the ball & retaining possession.

Oh I agree completely. I didn't mean Wenger only thought Özil was there for assists but like you mention because he is extremely efficient and a great decision maker in the final 3rd. I think since he's returned its worked really well. It also helps that Le Cop emerged which IMO benefits Özil alot by providing that ball winning in midfield that we lacked which helps keep Özil up the pitch.

I just don't think Wenger ever expected Özil to be someone providing 15+ goals a season for us. He is part of the platform that launches players like Alexis, Giroud, Ramsey, Theo, Welbeck to get the goals. I do like Özil being a dead ball threat for goals though.

Livedk

Established Member
Ramsey isnt a 15 goals a season scorer - he got 16 in his wonder season last year, but it came at the cost of him abandoning our midfield/defensive duties and leaving us unbalanced, sure he would be if we played him as an attacking mid, but it would also make us concede more goals if we did.

He is a great B2B player, but when he does his job properly and working for the best of the team we wont see him hit the same numbers as he did last year.

We had Giroud who couldnt score, walcott out and podolski out of favor, Ramsey had a more free-role, this year he hasnt.

in 2012 and 2013 he scored 5 goals in like 90 games . and we do need him to provide balance in our midfield.

at the start of the season he was bombing forward not doing much defensive work - now he is, and it has made us into a way better unit.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Ramsey isnt a 15 goals a season scorer - he got 16 in his wonder season last year, but it came at the cost of him abandoning our midfield/defensive duties and leaving us unbalanced, sure he would be if we played him as an attacking mid, but it would also make us concede more goals if we did.

This is wrong.

Last year Ramsey before his injury in December was averaging 1.7 interceptions per game and 4.8 successful tackles a game, he was miles ahead of Schweinsteiger, Vidal, Koke and Alonso.

We didn't get battered in any of the games he played. In fact I'm not sure we lost any games he started.

http://talksport.com/football/revea...compares-europes-best-midfielders-13100362665

Have a look through that.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
This is wrong.

Last year Ramsey before his injury in December was averaging 1.7 interceptions per game and 4.8 successful tackles a game, he was miles ahead of Schweinsteiger, Vidal, Koke and Alonso.

We didn't get battered in any of the games he played. In fact I'm not sure we lost any games he started.

http://talksport.com/football/revea...compares-europes-best-midfielders-13100362665

Have a look through that.

Pretty much. Ramsey was a machine.

Besides, he IS a 15 goals a season goalscorer. He has 9 this season, where he's been in and out throughout the whole season with injuries. Had he been injury free, and played more consistently like he is now, he would've gotten 15 easily.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The crazy thing about our team is that we have a lot of developing players that could turn into 15 goals a season players.

Right now Giroud and Alexis are our two definite 15+ goal players. Right behind them is Ramsey and then Theo.

Beyond these four we have a whole group of technically excellent players who constantly find themselves in goal scoring positions. You can't really expect them to make the jump up in scoring, but it wouldn't be surprising if they did.

Welbeck and Ox have the potential to score 15+ goals. Cazorla scored 12 goals in his first season, 9 in his second and 8 this season. In his second and third season he has had big scoring droughts too.

Özil has never been a big goal scorer, but if he wants to be in the Ballon d'Or running as he says he knows that he will have to improve his scoring.

I don't think that Wilshere has 15 goal potential, but I would love for him to step up a level. A good preseason can do wonders for a player.

arsenalhumor

Chelsea won the league with 75 goals (src: squawka)
Wenger's calculus is something optimistic similar to best case scenario:
Goals 2015-16 (2014/15)

Giroud 15 (14)
Sanchez 15 (16)
Walcott = 15 (5)
Ramsey+ Özil = 15 (10)
ox + welbeck =15 (5)
caz + wilshere= 15 (9)
Bellerin+monreal+kos+per+gibbs+debuchy+artet+flamini +rosa+ gab+ chambers = 15 (10)
=105(72) goals/season=> squad complete.

Complete because , Instead of buying a new backup 15 goal/season player like reus or griezman Wenger will prioritize development and project that all will step up next season

Last edited:

James Bond

Moderation Consultant

The most goals Özil ever scored in a season is 10. Its silly to expect Özil to be scoring 15+ goals for us when that's never been his game. Again I much rather Özil gets 20+ assists than tries to score 15 goals. Expecting Özil to score 15+ is just not understanding the player or the team and having unrealistic expectations.

We have plenty of players who can score goals and especially if buy someone like Reus or Lacazette to replace Theo if he leaves in the summer. Then we have a front 3 where all three are capable of netting 20+ a season. Let Özil do what he did at Real and provide the pinpoint passes to open up our front 3.

Not sure why you want the best passer in the world to try to become more goal scorer when
1) that is just not his game and never has been
and
2) we have plenty of goal scorers in other positions.

Our team flows when Özil is doing what he does best and passing and controlling the game to open up our goal scorers.

If he gets 7-10 goals a year, some from free kicks like he showed last week, and starts racking up the assists again with our potent offense that will be excellent for us. I'd rather he works on his dead ball shot and becomes a true FK threat for us than score more in open play.

The last thing I want to see is Özil trying to be Stevie Me taking speculative shots trying to up his goal scoring when that is completely unnecessary.

I'm pretty sure @ArsenesNO1Fan was referring to the fact that Özil get into some fantastic positions at time but he ops to pass when a shot at goal was the better option and I second that. Nobody is asking him to turn into Gerrard, but i don't see how he wouldn't be a better/more dynamic player if he became more comfortable with shooting. Gives defenders one more thing to think/worry about and I can't see how that is a bad thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom