• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Football Manager '15

• Thread starter Enoch
  • Start date
  • Replies 140
  • Views 20,215

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
You can always sense a FM fix, you can tell by the way the games going. I remember with my Newcastle save I went 1-0 up against Citeh away in the 82nd minute.

I revent to a defensive strategy, drop two midfielders into holding position and use a deeper defensive line. In the 87th minute my CB then attempts to dribble past Aguero and fails, I then inevitably concede. I would've taken 1-1 tbh, a good result and I was on course for a top 4 finish.

But FM had other ideas. In stoppage time my holding midfielder attempts the worst back pass I've ever seen, which goes beyond my keeper. Aguero then ghosts in and taps into an empty net and I lose 2-1.

I could've thrown my laptop out the window and enjoyed it.

GabeGooner

You can always sense a FM fix, you can tell by the way the games going. I remember with my Newcastle save I went 1-0 up against Citeh away in the 82nd minute.

I revent to a defensive strategy, drop two midfielders into holding position and use a deeper defensive line. In the 87th minute my CB then attempts to dribble past Aguero and fails, I then inevitably concede. I would've taken 1-1 tbh, a good result and I was on course for a top 4 finish.

But FM had other ideas. In stoppage time my holding midfielder attempts the worst back pass I've ever seen, which goes beyond my keeper. Aguero then ghosts in and taps into an empty net and I lose 2-1.

I could've thrown my laptop out the window and enjoyed it.
I find you have to use the touchline shouts a lot to stop things like that happening. And often, if you go too defensive, you end up paying for it. Around 75 minutes I use "Concentrate" and then keep an eye on the match stats to see if there's any increase in the other team's influence on the game. If not, it's okay to leave things; but if they start to dominate I'll adjust the match philosophy.

As you say, though, if you watch the game and see the other team get a few chances in a row, or players start to **** things up, you have to make changes almost immediately or you'll concede a goal. Same if you miss a few chances – do nothing, you pay for it.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
True. But the thing I hate the most is how my team has 5 options to score and my attacking midfielder will somehow miss them all by driving to the byline.

Like what's the ****ing point. I don't get it.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Trusted ⭐
I find you have to use the touchline shouts a lot to stop things like that happening. And often, if you go too defensive, you end up paying for it. Around 75 minutes I use "Concentrate" and then keep an eye on the match stats to see if there's any increase in the other team's influence on the game. If not, it's okay to leave things; but if they start to dominate I'll adjust the match philosophy.

As you say, though, if you watch the game and see the other team get a few chances in a row, or players start to **** things up, you have to make changes almost immediately or you'll concede a goal. Same if you miss a few chances – do nothing, you pay for it.

I like to use "get creative" when a team parks the bus but it just results in slightly higher possession. I haven't used many defensive shouts tbh, you could be onto something. I always have balance when my teams go defensive, but what can you do when it's two individual errors? Thing is the players were Caulker and Wanyama, two players who never ever usually **** up. Fix mate.

True. But the thing I hate the most is how my team has 5 options to score and my attacking midfielder will somehow miss them all by driving to the byline.

Like what's the ****ing point. I don't get it.

The worst is when your winger gets into a fantastic position and shoots from an angle rather than square it. I had Wilf Zaha and sold him within a season for that. Would skin the full back and shoot straight into the keepers arms time and time again. I was fuming.

GabeGooner

For me the game is pretty simple if you do the basics;

1. Never make sweeping changes to the team when you first join the club. And if you make a lot of signings, keep a few of them in the U21's and call them up – that way you don't unsettle the whole team.

2. Set the training to high, have the slider in the middle balanced, and work on Team Cohesion until the squad is all happy (shows in the boardroom).

3. Have 3 different tactical shapes, but use the same style of play on all of them (short passing, etc, etc). I then set the overall philosophy on each of them differently (Attacking, Counter, Standard). That way, you learn the tactics way faster and the team is adept at any changes you make in the match – obviously you only use those 3 philosophies on dominant teams; use Defensive, etc. if you manage lesser sides.

4. I do all my own team talks and pre-match interviews. At home I talk the team up to give them confidence. Away from home I'm always cautious and try to keep the team grounded. I find that approach removes the kinds of errors you guys are talking about (**** passes that get intercepted, 5000 missed chances, etc.) from the game.

5. I watch the highlights only, but if I see patterns of dominance (in the highlights or the stats), I change things up. I then (every 15 minutes) shout at the team to see if I can impact the game – if we don't score I'll try "Get Creative", if we miss chances "Concentrate", if we're being attacked a lot "Get Tighter", etc. I then combine that with a philosophy adjustment, depending on what's needed (more attacking, less attacking, try to retain the ball using Control, etc.).

Sometimes it's just stacked against you – especially if you go on a commanding run of games. Players get too hyped and overconfident and will eventually have a dogshit day – you need to drill that out of them when it starts to happen. But most of the time, you'll walk over teams as Arsenal if you've bought a DM, a good CB and plenty of cover for the 500 injuries that always occur.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Trusted ⭐
I've played almost every FM mate, I'm not a rookie. I do all of what you say above. Some games are just fixed lad, that's all there is to it really.

BobP

Memri Fan
Started the save again, made a few tactical adjustments and everything is going rosy.

Have already secured qualification to the knockout stage of the Europa league with 4 wins from 4 games and am still undefeated in the league with 9 wins and 3 draws. Strategy revolves around swatting away the scrub teams and when up against Dortmund and Bayern keeping them at bay so as you can imagine 2 of those 3 draws came against Bayern and Dortmund.

BobP

Memri Fan
Only real problems have come when faced with the bastard 4312 formation, simply overwhelms me through the middle as they have 5 attacking players concentrated through the middle. I have a semblance of control when up against most teams including Dortmund and Bayern but games against the 4312 devolve into anarchy where the only way to win is to out score your opponent which I do by selecting the exploit flanks instruction and unleashing the ever reliable Hermann and that flaky son of a ***** Traore.

Have been quite lucky at times, choosing the right players for the right games.

GideonSmythe

I know. But sometimes it's because you make a mistake pre-match or make the wrong adjustment. Happens to me also.

I agree. I'm in 2019 and have just lost a 35 game unbeaten run to a hopeless Blackburn side. None of the team turned up. It was like they weren't trying because they saw it as an easy game. Next match, Man City at home and we thump them 6-0.

BobP

Memri Fan
Have decided to take on Hamburg and it's only now that I've realized the black hole that that club is in.

No money and a ****load of redundant players.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Doing what we couldn't do this season. Not sure how I lost 4-1 at home though...

bR01ly5.jpg

LordGooner

Doing what we couldn't do this season. Not sure how I lost 4-1 at home though...

bR01ly5.jpg

I seem to get this all the time. I lost 6 - 2 to Juventus in the Round of 16 then came back to win the tie 7 - 0 (6 - 9 on agg) Kind of unrealistic but I guess that's just the mechanics of the game.

BobP

Memri Fan
Once I smashed Dortmund in the German Cup 9-0 with Mönchengladbach on FM 13.

Mlapa obliterated those scrubs.

Could never usurp Bayern in the league though.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
It works to varying degrees. It's very good at putting weaker teams to the sword - albeit they tend to always bag a consolation goal, this formation finds clean sheets hard to come by - but against similar and better opposition it can be very suicidal, so I often revert to a more defensive formation for bigger games. It's loosely meant to a more offensive cantenaccio.

And, yes, Milanovic is meant to be a half back, so he essentially operates like a CB. I don't want my defensive midfielder charging off into the midfield, just leaving the sweeper, so I felt it was necessary for the DM to be as deep and disciplined as possible.

Top Bottom