• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who among Ramsey/Özil/Cazorla should be dropped?

Who among Ramsey/Özil/Cazorla should be dropped?

• Özil

• Ramsey

• Cazorla

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
It's obvious that Ramsey should be dropped. You could count Ramsey's decent performances last season on one hand but he is viewed by many with "Romantic" rose tinted specs that think he can reproduce his form in in 13/14 season consistently.

Last edited:

adpree

That was Coquelin's first bad game since returning to us. He's fine. Everyone had a mare today.

Ramsey is way past being transformed into a DM. It would be like have Song there x 1000. Ramsey would go run-abouts every other minute. I'm afraid his desire to score and get forward is too ingrained in his mind right now- it would be near impossible to convince him to stay as our DM all game.

If we're going to drop anyone for the Palace game however, i'd have to go with Özil, as much as i rate him. Think we naturally have to go there with a very defensively minded set up now while looking to not get dominated by their midfield. Can see Özil getting bullied around next week.

Tough decision after how bad Ramsey was today but i think we need to go with a midfield 3 next week.

I feel Özil was out of position covering Ramsey who was all over the place. Creativity duties should to left to Özil and Cazorla. Ramsey should really play second fiddle to them and take their cue, same with coquelin. Our midfield would be a lot more stable you can't have everyone in gung-ho mode. I would be all for dropping Ramsey, he seems to be putting himself above the team for a while now.

infineon

Established Member
Wenger won't drop these three. It was chaos when Walcott and Alexis came on. It was just a free-for-all.

adpree

Wenger won't drop these three. It was chaos when Walcott and Alexis came on. It was just a free-for-all.

That was just a Wenger acting in desperation, last throw of his dice. Our midfield was being run over from the first minute due to a lack of discipline.

We need to start every match like we did against City last season, teams always try to physically bully us for the first half and nick a goal on a set play. We should Keep it tight, if the game allows play freely or just play smart and take the win/draw. There is no other way we can challenge the league. That's how even the invincibles did it. Whenever you had pires/ljunberg bombing down the flanks vieira and Gilberto held a disciplined position. You would never see all our midfielders out of position in one game.

Bould14

If Wenger is going to drop a player it should be in this order.

1. Ramsey guys been off. Passing, scoring, and positioning awful.
2. Özil lose with the ball at times, and stagnant.
3. Santi because he wants to play Alexis next week.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
For me it's become more and more clear that unless Ramsey changes his game again, he's got nothing to do here, he doesn't fit in, we need a engine next to Coquelin, and Cazorla does well there most of the time, but Ramsey seems completely clueless.

I'd even go as far as to say Ramsey's poor performance today is why we lost in the bigger picture, you can't as a midfielder run up alongside Giroud and leave Coquelin all alone back there, just to stand right inside the box doing nothing, no movement or anything and he can't just walk around in the midfield doing **** all either, he was better in the last ten minutes when he played a disciplined role helping out defensively as well as trying to start moves, but it just begs the question why he doesn't do this the whole game.

It's not all down to him, but he just doesn't seem like he's got it in him only being good in moments here and there, he can play here, but he needs to change and it's coming to be his last chances, he's at the point were you'd expect a mature player, but when he plays he seems nothing like it.

Bakka

For me it's become more and more clear that unless Ramsey changes his game again, he's got nothing to do here, he doesn't fit in, we need a engine next to Coquelin, and Cazorla does well there most of the time, but Ramsey seems completely clueless.

I'd even go as far as to say Ramsey's poor performance today is why we lost in the bigger picture, you can't as a midfielder run up alongside Giroud and leave Coquelin all alone back there, just to stand right inside the box doing nothing, no movement or anything and he can't just walk around in the midfield doing **** all either, he was better in the last ten minutes when he played a disciplined role helping out defensively as well as trying to start moves, but it just begs the question why he doesn't do this the whole game.

It's not all down to him, but he just doesn't seem like he's got it in him only being good in moments here and there, he can play here, but he needs to change and it's coming to be his last chances, he's at the point were you'd expect a mature player, but when he plays he seems nothing like it.

I couldn't agree more, mate. I feel exactly the same, except the last point. I think it's all because of him, he has been such a gloryhunter since the season where he set the league on fire and only wants to score and do everything on his own. I remember Wenger some time last season said Ramsey has to get back to doing the basic stuff, and he really should. I don't see a place for him in our starting 11 until he does that. I don't want that glory seeking player anywhere close before that.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Honestly, I don't think the praise and appreciation Ramsey gets on here is deserved. When he's not scoring goals, he's not doing much compared to someone like Cazorla. His defensive contribution hasn't developed much from the "chase down, attempt tackle" stuff that worked when he was playing alongside Arteta, and his offensive play is.. inconsistent to say the least.

He turns 25 this year. He's not really a prospect anymore. I think it's a bit worrying that he's seemingly untouchable in the starting lineup, even being forced out on the wings just to be on the pitch.

Obviously not saying he's a terrible player by any means, but I'm not sure he's a guaranteed starter for a league winning side either. He had an immense purple patch almost two years ago, but he hasn't been able to replicate that form since.

Bould14

Honestly, I don't think the praise and appreciation Ramsey gets on here is deserved. When he's not scoring goals, he's not doing much compared to someone like Cazorla. His defensive contribution hasn't developed much from the "chase down, attempt tackle" stuff that worked when he was playing alongside Arteta, and his offensive play is.. inconsistent to say the least.

He turns 25 this year. He's not really a prospect anymore. I think it's a bit worrying that he's seemingly untouchable in the starting lineup, even being forced out on the wings just to be on the pitch.

Obviously not saying he's a terrible player by any means, but I'm not sure he's a guaranteed starter for a league winning side either. He had an immense purple patch almost two years ago, but he hasn't been able to replicate that form since.

Ramsey deserved all the credit that one season he was world class. Since? Not so much.

Malky

Established Member

This! Ramsey has developed into a B2B mid that thinks hes a number 10/CF, incredibly irritating to watch now.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

Praise and appreciation??? I'd say the opposite. Ramsey is one of the first players to be chucked in the bin by our fans actually I think. He could have 10 good games and 1 bad but the 1 bad would mean he should be on the bench. When his hamstring inevitably goes though, everyone will miss him....

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wenger looked ready to cry at the end of the game, perhaps he knows he needs to drop one. :D

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
At the moment, Ramsey. Might do him some good, because we're having the same discussion that we had last year, and the year before. He's turning 25 this season and he needs to get the basics right.

Wenger put Szczesny on the bench once after some **** performances, maybe it's Ramsey's time. Going to miss his engine, but he needs to step it up big time.

This is Wenger's chance, now that Wilshere is out as well, to finally play some wingers where they belong: the wing. Get Ramsey out, stick two of Ox, Alexis or Walcott on the wing and quit the Pires experiment with every single midfielder we have.

Bould14

Ramsey is great B2B, but that's why you play those kind of players wide with the freedom to cut inside making the shape much like a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 in the attack. Playing Santi wide is useless players just dribble past him.

SteveEvets

The way I see it, you have to play to the type of match we're in:

Özil
Coq - Caz

For home matches such as today in which we know we're going to have most of the possession. Coq defends primarily while Cazorla sits deep and dictates play. Özil buzzes around freely in front of them two looking for space.

Özil
Coq - Ramsey

For away matches such as Palace next week in which we know the opposition is going to put more physical pressure on our midfield and try to dictate the game to us that way. Coq defends primarily while Ramsey plays a pure B2B role with an increased focus on the defensive side. His physicality and energy probably suit these types of matches more than Cazorla who is likely to be overrun.

In either case you need pace and width in the front three. Has to be one from from Giroud/Welbeck and two from Sanchez/Ox/Walcott at all times, no exceptions.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
If Wenger wants to play 4-4-2, then keep Ramsey. If a 4-3-3 pyramid next to a DM, keep Cazorla and play Özil or Wilshere (when fit) at the apex.

amirkat

Established Member
Basically agree with everything @North5 says on this topic.

Still went with benching Cazorla though :confused: I just can't forget Ramsey's 13/14 season.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
Don't think it's him being underrated nas, it's more people pointing out his lack of tactical and positional nous imo

Yes that's true but what ever midfielder in the team has the comprehensive attributes Ramsey possesses? Unless we sign a new player Ramsey has to start imo, yer he has shortcomings but in general what he brings to the table outweighs those shortcomings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom