• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The highs and lows of Aaron Ramsey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Ramsey was average in the first half vs Newcastle but our best in the second vs Newcastle, that flick to Giroud was immense and it should have resulted in a goal...I can guarantee you had Giroud scored from that it would have led to an avalanche of praise for Ramsey.

That's what Özil has been battling against his entire time here so far.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

His role for Wales is different, he is expected to be more of a playmaker than he is for us. Although he isn't bad at this, he is better when others feed him, than the other way around.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

He had a few loose touches, as did many others. I think that was down to the pitch though, on the whole he was crucial for Wales as he often is. He needs to be central.

He won't be until we can find a ball winner who can distribute the ball with great accuracy - this would have been sold had we just gone out and bought Cabaye - perfect partner for Rambo.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
He won't be until we can find a ball winner who can distribute the ball with great accuracy - this would have been sold had we just gone out and bought Cabaye - perfect partner for Rambo.

Cabaye-Ramsey could've been a lovely little partnership. I always thought Cabaye could play the deepest role in midfield for us, but some thought he lacked experience in there.

Quality avi btw.

Marmaduke

That would have been a great signing as well I'd reckon. Although I don't think Cabaye would like the idea of being a squad player lots of times.

If he had gotten Cabaye people wouldn't have been so much on Wengers back about transfer activity.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

That's the thing - it's not the striker that people are so pissed off about - it's the additional CM we've been crying for, for the past few seasons when we had adequate money, time and the players were there to be acquired.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
I'm gonna expand on my Ramsey comment from the gameweek thread here.

First of all I'm not a fan of Ramsey seemingly being one of our main outlets for goals I don't think it befits him especially since he seems incapable of recapturing the scoring form he had that time ago, if he's going to be played that way; he has to be effective, he has to score goals otherwise I find it pointless.

Why Ramsey cannot be played in the mold of Lampard, someone I think he can resemble quite a lot in terms of skill and ability (plus/minus); I don't understand, I think the way he's been played now for so long should be stopped and that there's little point in him ''Getting back to basics'' if he's still being played the same way and in regards to that; that's what I meant when I said Payet is what Ramsey should be, as in that Payet is vastly more suited to be played the way Ramsey is.

Firstly, Payet's ball control is among the best in the league and he can reliably dribble off players which makes him less reliant on having to be played through the defense and he could be in a supportive position outside the box in front of the defenders rather than in between them.

And secondly, Payet posses a levelheaded and intelligent playing style which Ramsey doesn't prove he does often enough. Payet is a superior creator and passer, he's hardly ever in a position where he shouldn't be or makes things harder for his teammates in terms of defending or supporting attacks.

I think that's about all Ramsey lacks, it's only two things, but it's two important aspects in my mind and I can't see Ramsey being played so directly working out long-term, he should be a jack of all trades in a way; he should be the player which could fill most roles in our team a perfectly (more or less) balanced player, but as is he's being weighed too much over into the attacking aspects in which frankly there are many players who are superior to him.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
I'm gonna expand on my Ramsey comment from the gameweek thread here.

First of all I'm not a fan of Ramsey seemingly being one of our main outlets for goals I don't think it befits him especially since he seems incapable of recapturing the scoring form he had that time ago, if he's going to be played that way; he has to be effective, he has to score goals otherwise I find it pointless.

Why Ramsey cannot be played in the mold of Lampard, someone I think he can resemble quite a lot in terms of skill and ability (plus/minus); I don't understand, I think the way he's been played now for so long should be stopped and that there's little point in him ''Getting back to basics'' if he's still being played the same way and in regards to that; that's what I meant when I said Payet is what Ramsey should be, as in that Payet is vastly more suited to be played the way Ramsey is.

Firstly, Payet's ball control is among the best in the league and he can reliably dribble off players which makes him less reliant on having to be played through the defense and he could be in a supportive position outside the box in front of the defenders rather than in between them.

And secondly, Payet posses a levelheaded and intelligent playing style which Ramsey doesn't prove he does often enough. Payet is a superior creator and passer, he's hardly ever in a position where he shouldn't be or makes things harder for his teammates in terms of defending or supporting attacks.

I think that's about all Ramsey lacks, it's only two things, but it's two important aspects in my mind and I can't see Ramsey being played so directly working out long-term, he should be a jack of all trades in a way; he should be the player which could fill most roles in our team a perfectly (more or less) balanced player, but as is he's being weighed too much over into the attacking aspects in which frankly there are many players who are superior to him.
Payet certainly looks the superior player right now, but he is in his peak years and Ramsey's been playing out of position for some ridiculous reason.

Thought it was Ramsey's best game of the season at the weekend but he's still not offering anywhere near enough to warrant being shunted out onto the wing.

Still wish we would have brought in a new RW over the summer. With Wenger's lack of trust in Ox, we're clearly lacking on that right hand side.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Payet certainly looks the superior player right now, but he is in his peak years and Ramsey's been playing out of position for some ridiculous reason.

Thought it was Ramsey's best game of the season at the weekend but he's still not offering anywhere near enough to warrant being shunted out onto the wing.

Still wish we would have brought in a new RW over the summer. With Wenger's lack of trust in Ox, we're clearly lacking on that right hand side.

Even more so when Theo is now seemingly moved and fixed as a striker, could have at least kept Wellington Silva in the squad for once considering he's been impressing instead of Campbell who's literally become a ghost player.

Last edited:

RandyMarsh

Established Member
Even more so when Theo is now seemingly moved and fixed as a striker, could have kept Wellington Silva in the squad considering he's been impressing instead of Campbell who's literally become a ghost player.
Yeah I always said that if Theo was to be a permanent ST now, then we needed a new RW in. Campbell's not good enough. Ramsey and Wilshere aren't wingers. And Welbeck isn't really either. The two latter players also being injured long term too. Why did Wenger ever think we weren't going to get a few long terms injuries in attack? I mean seriously, we're Arsenal.

I want to see Ox develop but we've been waiting a long time now and I'm tired of this mentality that if we brought in a new top RW in the summer we'd kill Ox, Ramsey, Wilshere etc.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Ramsey's best recent game was in the Emirates cup at home to Lyon. Where he played, (SHOCK HORROR), in the middle next to Coquelin. Thinking about it, we performed fantastically on a whole. Özil and Ramsey re-kindled their 13/14 partnership, we attacked with genuine width, Giroud claimed a goal and assist as our lone striker.

I'm a huge fan of Santi, and I thought he was excellent against Stoke. But I don't think we'll see this team's true potential unless Ramsey is moved back into his preferred position. That's not to say I think Santi is far inferior to Ramsey, but if it's between the pair of them for CM Ramsey wins everytime for me.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Ramsey's best recent game was in the Emirates cup at home to Lyon. Where he played, (SHOCK HORROR), in the middle next to Coquelin. Thinking about it, we performed fantastically on a whole. Özil and Ramsey re-kindled their 13/14 partnership, we attacked with genuine width, Giroud claimed a goal and assist as our lone striker.

I'm a huge fan of Santi, and I thought he was excellent against Stoke. But I don't think we'll see this team's true potential unless Ramsey is moved back into his preferred position. That's not to say I think Santi is far inferior to Ramsey, but if it's between the pair of them for CM Ramsey wins everytime for me.

I agree with all this, said it in a post a while back that Coq and Ramsey can work in the middle. I just don't get why Wenger would change it after seeing how well we played against Lyon, doesn't make sense. Santi wouldn't be a bad person to bring off the bench late in the game either.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I dont see a problem.

Some games we need Ramsey-Coq in the middle, some games we need Santi there, which bring Ramsey wide-nothing wrong there

Problem will happen if we play Santi as out Cm every single game, just as Ramsey as our wide man.

Give me Aaron in the middle for Chelski game please, just as Danti was a must as Cm against Stoke for example

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Our worst performance this season came from a Ramsey - Coquelin pairing against West ham. I echo what Phillipe Auclair said after that match that much of our success in the second half of last season came from the Coquelin and Cazorla partnership so why break it up? We are now on a winning streak, have kept three clean sheets in a row and we our creating chance after chance with using the Cazorla & Coquelin pairing.

Last edited:

Bould14

Wenger doesn't look like he is going to break it bar injuries or fatigue. Ramsey basically plays as the free midfielder in the system. He doesn't really stay on the right. With Theo up top and his speed this may work. With Giroud it gets too congested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom