• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
After Messi rumours now we have Zlatan.

Next week it will be Lewa as it seems the rumour mill is linking us with best players of top leagues around Europe.

GabeGooner

There is no comparison between him and Giroud, Zlatan is on another level, even at his age.
Deceptively quick too.
It's not really about speed, though. It's more about his movement and style of play. Özil needs someone in front of him that plays like Benzema or Ronaldo – someone who runs (without the ball) towards goal and waits for the killer pass. Ibrahimovic isn't really like that – and that's our problem with Giroud.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It's not really about speed, though. It's more about his movement and style of play. Özil needs someone in front of him that plays like Benzema or Ronaldo – someone who runs (without the ball) towards goal and waits for the killer pass. Ibrahimovic isn't really like that – and that's our problem with Giroud.
Zlatan is the obvious exception when we're talking about having a striker whoi sn't the quickest. You take Zlatan because he's levels above Giroud in every other way, and he's still quicker than him despite being 34! If he didn't score 30 goals in a season for us, I'd pull my balls off.

GabeGooner

Zlatan is the obvious exception when we're talking about having a striker whoi sn't the quickest. You take Zlatan because he's levels above Giroud in every other way, and he's still quicker than him despite being 34! If he didn't score 30 goals in a season for us, I'd pull my balls off.
The reason we're not functioning properly as a collective is because some of our key players are suited to a different style of football. Giroud, like Ibrahimovic, needs quick, direct service (preferably from wingers) so he can gain an advantage over defenders. Our midfield plays a short, side-to-side possession game, and that's why Giroud doesn't work as well as we want him to; and that's why Ibrahimovic – whilst being a far more accomplished player – isn't likely to be a significant upgrade.

I'm not sure why people think Ibrahimovic will succeed playing Arsenal's brand of football when he failed playing Barcelona's. It's not like Arsenal have better players than Barcelona did (when Ibrahimovic was there), and it's not like we play in a more direct way than they do – in fact, we're even less direct.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ibra has traits and skills that Giroud lacks, the only thing that would put me off is the wage/age.

For someone that 'needs' a quick striker Özil sure is playing well lately.

Malky

Established Member
:lol: Comparing Giroud to Zlatan is ****ing insanity, ones world class and the other is somewhere around the decent-good level. Zlatan would destroy teams in this league, regardless of pace or age. Look at the chances we create for Giroud, Zlatan would bag 30plus goals a season here. Don't kid yourself that "our style doesn't suit him"

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
The reason we're not functioning properly as a collective is because some of our key players are suited to a different style of football. Giroud, like Ibrahimovic, needs quick, direct service (preferably from wingers) so he can gain an advantage over defenders. Our midfield plays a short, side-to-side possession game, and that's why Giroud doesn't work as well as we want him to; and that's why Ibrahimovic – whilst being a far more accomplished player – isn't likely to be a significant upgrade.

I'm not sure why people think Ibrahimovic will succeed playing Arsenal's brand of football when he failed playing Barcelona's. It's not like Arsenal have better players than Barcelona did (when Ibrahimovic was there), and it's not like we play in a more direct way than they do – in fact, we're even less direct.

This makes it sound like the type of striker is more important than the actual quality of the player. The whole argument that Zlatan isn't a perfect fit is redundant when he's better in every single aspect of the game compared to Giroud.

That argument goes both ways as well. You're basically saying that replacing Giroud with Rudy Gestede wouldn't make much of a difference because they're similar players.

Also, you say he "failed" at Barca (which he arguably did, for various reasons), yet that season equaled Giroud's best ever season for Arsenal. Reckon that says a lot; Giroud's ceiling is Zlatan's floor.

GabeGooner

This makes it sound like the type of striker is more important than the actual quality of the player. The whole argument that Zlatan isn't a perfect fit is redundant when he's better in every single aspect of the game compared to Giroud.

That argument goes both ways as well. You're basically saying that replacing Giroud with Rudy Gestede wouldn't make much of a difference because they're similar players.

Also, you say he "failed" at Barca (which he arguably did, for various reasons), yet that season equaled Giroud's best ever season for Arsenal. Reckon that says a lot; Giroud's ceiling is Zlatan's floor.
Well, does it not make sense that different styles of play require different types of players?

If we play a possession game, with no service from the flanks because the ball is recycled into the centre, are we likely to get the best out of a target man? I don't think anyone would suggest it works for us now.

If we play a target man ahead of a CAM (who plays killer balls) and two inside forwards, are we likely to see a fluid attack? Personally, I don't think we're close to being fluid unless Walcott leads the line.

And all of that said, whilst Ibrahimovic is undoubtedly the better player, if he's given the same service as Giroud, I don't think there will be a gulf in class between what he or Giroud can do for Arsenal. Perhaps Ibrahimovic will score more goals, but we won't get the best out of him – just like we don't Giroud.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I would be worried about his body packing in if we got him, with players over 32 you never really know when they're just going to drop off completely.

He'll be 35 if we get him, I'd buy him but it'd be a massive gamble. He could look like Drogba did last year for all we know.

Bananacoffee

Drogba was shiet since 2012 though, Zlatan still looks like a top athlete whenever I watch him, pulling off some incredible stuff.

I agree his age is a worry, but it's the only one and I don't think he'll turn into Falcao II over the course of a season.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
This would be a dream transfer for me. It would totally change everything around Arsenal to bring in a Zlatan like figure. I have doubts about him fitting in AND more so benefiting the team, overall-His movement is his biggest weak point- but it would be worth the gamble. The perception of Arsenal everywhere would start to change and that can only attract more positive. Having an absolute superstar with that sort of personality.

skip spence

Zlatan, at 34, is still very good, make no mistake. But for how much longer will he be able to maintain that level? Anyway, I don't see this happening. He's one of the highest paid athletes in the world and he'd accept no less than a 2 year contract with a weekly salary of probably trice what our top earner makes. Can't see Wenger making that gamble even if big Z would be interested himself.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Why is it every player that gets sold by Barca is deemed to have failed there? :lol:

16 goals in 23 starts and 6 sub appearances, with 30 assists?

Can someone please explain to me how that equates to 'failure'? Never mind his goal ratio, he's got more assists than appearances ffs! And that's just his league games record!

I know of a certain No.10 that wouldn't mind having that stat, and let me tell you, that man is godly :rolleyes:

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Why is it every player that gets sold by Barca is deemed to have failed there? :lol:

16 goals in 23 starts and 6 sub appearances, with 30 assists?

Can someone please explain to me how that equates to 'failure'? Never mind his goal ratio, he's got more assists than appearances ffs! And that's just his league games record!

I know of a certain No.10 that wouldn't mind having that stat, and let me tell you, that man is godly :rolleyes:

Wtf. 30 assists? :lol: No one has ever had so many assists in a league season ffs.

He had 7 assists for them. Stop using #GdeepStats, it's no more reliable than Wayne Gooney is for tranfers.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Btw. sad that your hatred for Özil makes you so blind that you believe in such rubbish just to have a dig at him.:lol:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Wtf. 30 assists? :lol: No one has ever had so many assists in a league season ffs.

He had 7 assists for them. Stop using #GdeepStats, it's no more reliable than Wayne Gooney is for tranfers.
I got that from the Barca stat site ffs.

7 assists in 29 league appearances isn't too shabby either. Pretty sure our own prince struggled to get 7 assists in 29 games at his low point.

His stats are still impressive, and anything but that of a 'failure'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom