• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yann M'Vila

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
iced22 said:
Anzac said:
For mind he's the combo of Arteta and Flamini we want, more so than either of the Bender's or the likes of Matuidi or Khedira.

Sums it all up. Pretty much exactly the reason I liked this guy back in 2012, except sub in Song for Flamini. 2 years later, and we still haven't made a signing of this ilk, and it's showing in the squad lately.

No idea what he's done in Russia though, so he might not quite be the same player. If he is though, then I want this guy.

M'Vila has to be one of the most overrated players mentioned on this forum. He is quick, but I think that's where the benefit ends. He literally sits on top of the back four, passing the ball from side to side, throwing an occasional long ball forward. He has played for the whole of his career under no pressure. He isn't a player that will be able to handle being pressured in his own half. His ball retention isn't as good as we need it to be and his distribution can often leave much to be desired. He is almost 24 and has hardly played football at the highest level.

Liverpool can have him for all I care, just like they took Sahin, I can't see him working out.

I'd rather have some of this.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDTkq8RhPI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDTkq8RhPI</a>

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Jesus I drove myself into a frenzy with this guy last time, I really thought we would get him :) I'm pretty sure if Wenger didnt want him then, he wont want him now!

iced22

The_Playmaker said:
iced22 said:
Anzac said:
For mind he's the combo of Arteta and Flamini we want, more so than either of the Bender's or the likes of Matuidi or Khedira.

Sums it all up. Pretty much exactly the reason I liked this guy back in 2012, except sub in Song for Flamini. 2 years later, and we still haven't made a signing of this ilk, and it's showing in the squad lately.

No idea what he's done in Russia though, so he might not quite be the same player. If he is though, then I want this guy.

M'Vila has to be one of the most overrated players mentioned on this forum. He is quick, but I think that's where the benefit ends. He literally sits on top of the back four, passing the ball from side to side, throwing an occasional long ball forward. He has played for the whole of his career under no pressure. He isn't a player that will be able to handle being pressured in his own half. His ball retention isn't as good as we need it to be and his distribution can often leave much to be desired. He is almost 24 and has hardly played football at the highest level.

Liverpool can have him for all I care, just like they took Sahin, I can't see him working out.

I'd rather have some of this.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDTkq8RhPI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDTkq8RhPI</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, I'd certainly consider Schneiderlin as another option for a DM signing.

I'd argue though that the deep lying passer is one of the more underrated positions these days. Their position means they're the first option to pass out of the back, and pretty much all build up goes through them one way or the other. You don't need to look hard to see that every successful team of the past few years had a Carrick, a Schweinsteiger, a Busquets, etc.

The thing is, they need to be physically capable as well, since they're usually the deepest midfielder, and that's where our problem is. Arteta isn't, or at least no longer is strong enough to handle the position, even though his passing is no worse than his contemporaries. Flamini has the mobility and power, but his passing range is.....disappointing. M'Vila can combine both player's strengths, and that's where the value lies in him.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Carrick and Schweinsteiger don't just sit in their own half in between two centre halves and play 5 yard passes. Busquets has the right to do that he plays the holding role in a 4-3-3 set up. If We played 4-3-3 we could use someone like M'Vila, but in a two man set up he just doesn't have enough tools. He looks very good when he isn't pressured, but think about what teams do to us. They stick a man on Arteta and he is unable to get out or pass forward. M'Vila isn't on Arteta's level technically. He doesn't have the passing accuracy of Arteta either. He isn't as aware as Flamini. M'Vila feels comfortable sweeping. We need a player in there who can back Ramsey up in terms of pressing. We need a player to do the same job Fernandinho does for City.

The key is having a player who does well under pressure, but who can also do all the defensive work we need. M'Vila isn't that player and if we were going for that mould I would prefer Gonalons. I really hope we get Schneiderlin, he is the perfect fit for us. He is physically very good, understands how to press, he is at the right age and is already adapted to England. £15 million is a no brainer for a 24 year old with that much experience in England.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
The_Playmaker said:
I really hope we get Schneiderlin, he is the perfect fit for us. He is physically very good, understands how to press, he is at the right age and is already adapted to England. £15 million is a no brainer for a 24 year old with that much experience in England.

Why do you think we can get Schneiderlin for 15m?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
The_Playmaker said:
I really hope we get Schneiderlin, he is the perfect fit for us. He is physically very good, understands how to press, he is at the right age and is already adapted to England. £15 million is a no brainer for a 24 year old with that much experience in England.

He is ready to move to a big club. He has no Champions League experience and is not an international footballer. How can he be worth more than £15 million? Newcastle wanted £20 million for Cabaye. Bender is an international with Champions League experience, with the ability to play in multiple positions. I can see why he would cost £24 million, however there is nothing to suggest Schneiderlin should cost in excess of £15 million and if they do ask for more, we shouldn't pay it.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
The_Playmaker said:
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
The_Playmaker said:

He is ready to move to a big club. He has no Champions League experience and is not an international footballer. How can he be worth more than £15 million? Newcastle wanted £20 million for Cabaye. Bender is an international with Champions League experience, with the ability to play in multiple positions. I can see why he would cost £24 million, however there is nothing to suggest Schneiderlin should cost in excess of £15 million and if they do ask for more, we shouldn't pay it.

They won't want to let their best player go cheap, they don't need the money and they splashed 15m on Wanyama themselves. To them 15m won't seem worth it.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
The_Playmaker said:
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
The_Playmaker said:

Southampton are ridiculously rich now. Not Oil money rich, but they won't sell any of their players for cheap unless they want to leave.

DanAust

I suspect that Schneiderlin may have signed under the proviso that that let him go if a big club comes in for him just based on the language he uses when he talks about his ambition; he doesn't sound like a big who thinks he'll be at Southampton for life

Aevi

Hale End FC
But we have Coquelin, who is million times better player.
If he were to understand that he would be backup for a while until he proves himself in a big way, I would have no problem at all taking him. Seeing as he is somewhat talented and at Sunderland, I think he would be fine with that, so why not?

Aevi

Hale End FC
What's Wenger going to do with 2 young French defensive midfieiders?

We aren't signing a DM.
Coquelin isn't exactly young, but I get what you mean. I don't think M'Vila is too likely, but it's appealing to have such decent rotation in that area is what I mean.

Bananacoffee

But we have Coquelin, who is million times better player.

Yes we do but we don't, Coq is injured and could be out for the season. Knee injuries are tricky and we all know how we handle injuries - one month turns into six.

I rate M'Vila, his ability is exceptional, however it remains to be seen if he can stay focused. Think he would be good here until Coq returns, but how will he handle competition later on? that is the big question mark.

Bananacoffee

What's Wenger going to do with 2 young French defensive midfieiders?

We aren't signing a DM.

What does nationality have to do with it?

We've always had two midfielders capable of filling the defensive role, albeit much worse quality than Coquelin and M'Vila.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom