• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mancheater City: 115

TheKippaxYears

Sheikh City
As I've said elsewhere, I'd like to see your absolute best against our absolute best. And everybody up to full fitness. Then I have no problems with the result, whatever it may be. Simple as. Mind you, it's not going to happen…

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
If Aguero can't walk I'm guessing he's done his Achilles in, which he took a knock on. I've done mine, I couldn't put any weight on it, I had to crawl around the house, years later I still can't run for long on it. He'll have far superior medical treatment and rehab though and maybe his isn't as bad as mine (I ran through the pain at times)

haha_arsenal

As I've said elsewhere, I'd like to see your absolute best against our absolute best. And everybody up to full fitness. Then I have no problems with the result, whatever it may be. Simple as. Mind you, it's not going to happen…

I assume you're a city fan,
who's your absolute best starting line-ups ?

TheKippaxYears

Sheikh City
OK, first off, there is strong disagreement among City fans on the best player at certain positions. I'm thinking particularly about LB. Some fans seem to truly dislike Kolarov, and would choose Clichy every time, if he were fit. I've seen posts on Blue Moon describing him as the outright worst defender in the PL! I don't get this hatred of Kolarov, myself. He offers much more than Clichy going forward, but he is definitely dodgy as a defender, whereas Clichy is considerably more sound in that department. That said, Clichy can be skinned, really left for dead, by a genuinely fast, tricky winger (as you know). So it's horses for courses. Neither of them is ideal, and it's a position where we'll be looking to improve in the next couple of seasons.
On the Sagna side. I'll be honest with you. I didn't much fancy him, when he came. I thought he was a player who'd given you his best, and was basically being put out to grass. But I've got to hold my hand up and admit, he's had a good season for us. Better than I thought he could produce. Zabaleta is one of the most loved players City have ever had. It's just something about him that the fans have always really taken to, ever since he arrived. He sheds blood — literally, sometimes — for us. But he may find it hard to fight his way back in. Neither of them are getting any younger, and again, it's a position where we're looking to our youth coming through, or someone else in in the next couple of years.
So it's just my opinion, for what it's worth. But there is definite consensus among all City fans for at least seven or eight positions. I put a question mark where I know there would be argument and disagreement.
We're looking at something like this:

Hart
Sagna(?) Kompany Otamendi Kolarov(?)

Delph (?) Fernandinho

Touré (??)

De Bruyne Silva Sterling

Aguero

Notice a problem about this? You're right. There's twelve players on that pitch! Would be lovely, wouldn't it…
So what we're looking at is this. I don't think that anyone would touch that front line, if everyone is fit and in form. It's a fearsome line-up. Honestly, I say that without my blue specs on, objectively. Arguably Navas in for Sterling, from time to time, and depending on the opposition. Navas is having a really good season for us. But Sterling is the future, no question about it. The lad turned twenty-one on Tuesday night.
There is a slight problem, though. De Bruyne's natural position is not really out wide. He's gone on record as saying that he prefers to play more centrally, and I certainly don't think he's as effective out on the wing (although he's still very skilful — you could play that lad virtually anywhere). But you're not going to not choose Silva, ever, if he's fit! And you're not going to play him out of position. So basically, it's a bit crowded in advanced midfield.
Right then, someone's got to go. Let's admit that I cannot play my twelve-man team. Alright, this will be hugely controversial with some, but for me, it's Touré out and Delph in, for some games, or Delph in and Touré out, for others. I'm not suggesting that Delph can even begin to be the player that Yaya has been for us. But everything is in that choice of tense. Yaya is on the wane. He is capable of doing things that no-one on the pitch can do, with the possible exception of Silva. But he is doing those things more and more rarely. We are overrun in midfield, if it's a two-man midfield with Yaya. If we play that against you, we're dead. No question about it (especially with your midfield).
You will notice that this leaves Nasri as a squad player, as well as Fernando, Bony and Mangala. Not automatic choices in the starting line-up The others may accept that, not sure that Nasri will. Once he gets fit, it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to move on, perhaps to somewhere else in Europe.
Oh, just noticed that I've forgotten Demichelis. Wonder why… Maybe this is a bit hard, but on current form, I'd play the tea lady before Demichelis. This is a season too far for him. I think it's as simple as that.
One other thing (I keep making additions…) We've got this kid, Kelechi Iheanacho, who is the real deal. I'm as certain about that as I've ever been about any new player that I've seen since I first started following football (1967, if you want to know ;-) ) A terrific prospect. I'm sure that he would walk into the starting line-up of most PL clubs. It's amazing to think that we've got him as a squad player.
Now — your turn. What's your clear best starting line-up? I'm presuming that it would include Cocquelin, Cazorla, and Sanchez, but it's for you to tell me. Please include explanatory comments, as I have done.

Last edited:

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
OK, first off, there is strong disagreement among City fans on the best player at certain positions. I'm thinking particularly about LB. Some fans seem to truly dislike Kolarov, and would choose Clichy every time, if he were fit. I've seen posts on Blue Moon describing him as the outright worst defender in the PL! I don't get this hatred of Kolarov, myself. He offers much more than Clichy going forward, but he is definitely dodgy as a defender, whereas Clichy is considerably more sound in that department. That said, Clichy can be skinned, really left for dead, by a genuinely fast, tricky winger (as you know). So it's horses for courses. Neither of them is ideal, and it's a position where we'll be looking to improve in the next couple of seasons.
On the Sagna side. I'll be honest with you. I didn't much fancy him, when he came. I thought he was a player who'd given you his best, and was basically being put out to grass. But I've got to hold my hand up and admit, he's had a good season for us. Better than I thought he could produce. Zabaleta is one of the most loved players City have ever had. It's just something about him that the fans have always really taken to, ever since he arrived. He sheds blood — literally, sometimes — for us. But he may find it hard to fight his way back in. Neither of them are getting any younger, and again, it's a position where we're looking to our youth coming through, or someone else in in the next couple of years.
So it's just my opinion, for what it's worth. But there is definite consensus among all City fans for at least seven or eight positions. I put a question mark where I know there would be argument and disagreement.
We're looking at something like this:

Hart
Sagna(?) Kompany Otamendi Kolarov(?)

Delph (?) Fernandinho

Touré (??)

De Bruyne Silva Sterling

Aguero

Notice a problem about this? You're right. There's twelve players on that pitch! Would be lovely, wouldn't it…
So what we're looking at is this. I don't think that anyone would touch that front line, if everyone is fit and in form. It's a fearsome line-up. Honestly, I say that without my blue specs on, objectively. Arguably Navas in for Sterling, from time to time, and depending on the opposition. Navas is having a really good season for us. But Sterling is the future, no question about it. The lad turned twenty-one on Tuesday night.
There is a slight problem, though. De Bruyne's natural position is not really out wide. He's gone on record as saying that he prefers to play more centrally, and I certainly don't think he's as effective out on the wing (although he's still very skilful — you could play that lad virtually anywhere). But you're not going to not choose Silva, ever, if he's fit! And you're not going to play him out of position. So basically, it's a bit crowded in advanced midfield.
Right then, someone's got to go. Let's admit that I cannot play my twelve-man team. Alright, this will be hugely controversial with some, but for me, it's Touré out and Delph in, for some games, or Delph in and Touré out, for others. I'm not suggesting that Delph can even begin to be the player that Yaya has been for us. But everything is in that choice of tense. Yaya is on the wane. He is capable of doing things that no-one on the pitch can do, with the possible exception of Silva. But he is doing those things more and more rarely. We are overrun in midfield, if it's a two-man midfield with Yaya. If we play that against you, we're dead. No question about it (especially with your midfield).
You will notice that this leaves Nasri as a squad player, as well as Fernando, Bony and Mangala. Not automatic choices in the starting line-up The others may accept that, not sure that Nasri will. Once he gets fit, it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to move on, perhaps to somewhere else in Europe.
Oh, just noticed that I've forgotten Demichelis. Wonder why… Maybe this is a bit hard, but on current form, I'd play the tea lady before Demichelis. This is a season too far for him. I think it's as simple as that.
One other thing (I keep making additions…) We've got this kid, Kelechi Iheanacho, who is the real deal. I'm as certain about that as I've ever been about any new player that I've seen since I first started following football (1967, if you want to know ;-) ) A terrific prospect. I'm sure that he would walk into the starting line-up of most PL clubs. It's amazing to think that we've got him as a squad player.
Now — your turn. What's your clear best starting line-up? I'm presuming that it would include Cocquelin, Cazorla, and Sanchez, but it's for you to tell me. Please include explanatory comments, as I have done.

So you're essentially saying Yaya is a bit like Gerrard in his final years at Liverpool? Essentially not having the legs to press intensely anymore. Still without him your transition through the midfield is massively hampered. In high pressing games it maybe wiser to drop a winger and play 433 with Silva on 1 wing, KDB or Sterling on the other.

Anyway the only agreed starters are: Cech, Bellerin, Kosceilny, Monreal, Coquelin, Özil, Alexis Sanchez

There's an argument over our best CM. Should we play Cazorla who's the best playmaker after Özil and is positionally sound and very creative but small and slow or Ramsey who's quicker, makes attacking runs to score goals, better on the counter attack, better tackler BUT often out of position

Argument over second CB - well not really everyone prefers the quicker Gabriel who makes loads of front foot interceptions and no defensive errors but Wenger doesn't he prefers Mertesacker who is a better passer

Best RW - very arguable, if you don't have Ramsey in the middle Wenger moves him wide, but he's slow out wide. Walcott wants to play striker but he scores allot from right forward positions. Chamberlain is the best dribblerbut horribly out of form, that he's now below Joel Campbell in the pecking order who has probably given the best RW performances this season. Then there's Wilshere who is maybe the best option here as he's quick, a good dribbler and creative

Best CF - Giroud's scored the most goals and holds up the ball the best but everyone hates how slow he is and how he. Playing Walcott makes us a very different team because of his pace and the runs he can make. Welbeck could be the best of the bunch but needs to press on.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
(I ran through the pain at times)
giphy.gif

Nyctophobia

Established Member
The City match is going to be so insanely important in the title race, if we win both the two next matches we'll have four points on them.

Really, really hope it won't be a ''league finale'' at the Etihad.

Bould14

The City match is going to be so insanely important in the title race, if we win both the two next matches we'll have four points on them.

Really, really hope it won't be a ''league finale'' at the Etihad.
It's us and them for the title. Both those matches are going to be vital.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
City are so Jekyll & Hyde........they can score a ton & concede a ton.

Özil will slice through their midfield.

Trouble is our midfield is dodgy also.

AVENTUS

I can't really seem to dislike them - they have many players in their XI I admire plus Pellegrini is a classy manager.

Same here. Think it's the case we've seen this take over business before with Chelsea and they are a London rival and it hurt even more.

Or it could be the fact we seem to beat City billionaires or not. :cool:

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Thought they were a likeable club when they had players like Goater and Kinky. With their oil money they've become a nuisance robbing our players and at the moment they are our main competitor in the title race. That's why we need a thread to diss them.

Most people think this new evil has already won the EPL. Don't think so, lot of things can still happen, hopefully the CL will ruin their winning streak.

I like City. They play good football, and in terms of behaviour, they are amongst the more civilised in the league. I can't dislike them.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Argument over second CB - well not really everyone prefers the quicker Gabriel who makes loads of front foot interceptions and no defensive errors but Wenger doesn't he prefers Mertesacker who is a better passer
I'm still not sure about Gabriel yet, seems a bit unrefined to me atm. Reminds me of when we bought Kos and we had to wait a few years for him to become a top class defender.

The problem is that Mertesacker's decline is one of the worst I've seen, is Gabriel ready to step in this soon?

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
I'm still not sure about Gabriel yet, seems a bit unrefined to me atm. Reminds me of when we bought Kos and we had to wait a few years for him to become a top class defender.

The problem is that Mertesacker's decline is one of the worst I've seen, is Gabriel ready to step in this soon?

The only problem with Gabriel is his passing. Defensively I don't think he's made a mistake yet.

TheKippaxYears

Sheikh City
Didn't see our match against Swansea, but by all accounts, we were dogshite. Hart MOTM tells you everything you need to know.
Basically expect you to win next Monday. But you never know.Games like that are so big, they're not like normal EPL games. It seems we will not have either Kompany or Aguero back. That's the rumour, anyway.
Whatever, I'll be rooting for mine, of course. As you would expect.

BBF

Joe Hart's been quality this season btw. Everyone's been ****ting on him for years and now that he's solid no one cares

Top Bottom