• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Maybe a PL player, but certainly not good enough to be competing for the title. Surprised by the positive posts, he looked bang average to me. Ramsey coming on showed what a top CM looks like in comparison. Kid has time though, so there's that.

I think Adelaide has much more in his locker.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Maybe a PL player, but certainly not good enough to be competing for the title. Surprised by the positive posts, he looked bang average to me. Ramsey coming on showed what a top CM looks like in comparison. Kid has time though, so there's that.

I think Adelaide has much more in his locker.
He did the basics well which is good for a young player I guess. He's not a CM though, more of a forward.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
Arsenal just won't be Arsenal without an african player in the squad. We have a massive following in Africa especially in Nigeria, and having Alex at the club will only increase that number.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Encouraging from Iwobi. I think the issue with Iwobi is that he doesn't always standout the way a player like Jeff or Willock does. What he is though is a usually efficient player, particularly in terms of his passing and movement in forward areas. It's clear that he's a Hale End product when you see how he uses the ball too.

I thought he was good in patches, but needed to pick his dribbles better. Didn't really beat his man at any point today other than one really neat dribble that led to a potential chance. But I was extremely impressed with his overall decision-making when passing. Just needs a little more confidence, which will come with more experience. I'm still all in favor of him going on loan, I think he needs the experience more than anyone. Jeff and Willock are both still 17, Iwobi is nearly 20.

Jeff does have more in his locker than Iwobi in terms of what he offers, particularly with regards to his dribbling. I don't think that negates Iwobi as a potential talent in his own right though, and him making it isnt impossible IMO.

I was expecting to see something in him, I have not. Not today.

Ah I see.

The force is really strong in Iwobi indeed. Very strong.

What you should have seen in this game is that he has fantastic football brain and understanding of the game. He has technique. speed and power to do a lot of mixed things. His passing was very good in this game but he could have dribbled better, but that should have been expected from 19 year old starting his first or second game for us!

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Ah I see.

What you should have seen in this game is that he has fantastic football brain and understanding of the game. He has technique. speed and power to do a lot of mixed things. His passing was very good in this game but he could have dribbled better, but that should have been expected from 19 year old starting his first or second game for us!

If that's what you saw, good for you. I saw nothing special about him today. Nothing to mark him out for me as a special talent. But it is only one game, I'll have to wait till I see him again.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Ah I see.

I think this is key. He is really inexperienced at this level. He may be older than Jeff, but they're not far apart experience-wise. This is the first time Iwobi's played for more than an hour at this level at any point in his career.

And yes, in terms of intelligence and understanding, he's probably just ahead of the others. His issue, as I said, is that he doesn't really standout at any one thing the way that some of our more lauded youth players do.

And yes, in terms of intelligence and understanding, he's probably just ahead of the others. His issue, as I said, is that he doesn't really standout at any one thing the way that some of our more lauded youth players do.

I think that can be a positive as well. It is hard to prepare for player you have no idea what real strength is. The thing is, I think with Iwobi intelligence he will always find a way to fool players/teams.

I feared this first, because I do feel hard to pinpoint down talent of players with no noticeable strength, but just in that one hour you could see clearly why Wenger holds him in such a high regard.

Gooner_girl14

No he didn't stand out, but he didn't seem completely out of place either, which is promising. Made some nice passes and I think he often made the right decisions.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think that can be a positive as well. It is hard to prepare for player you have no idea what real strength is. The thing is, I think with Iwobi intelligence he will always find a way to fool players/teams.

I feared this first, because I do feel hard to pinpoint down talent of players with no noticeable strength, but just in that one hour you could see clearly why Wenger holds him in such a high regard.
Yes clearly. And I think, when you look at a player like Campbell who is pretty much decent at least when it comes to passing, shooting and dribbling etc, Iwobi has a good foundation to start with, because if he improves in all those aspects, he could be come some player. People may not see it now because he doesn't look standout, but it will come to the fore. I think he will have a very good career at a higher level than people think. With his use of the ball and cleverness, Wenger will want to keep hold of him.

Yes clearly. And I think, when you look at a player like Campbell who is pretty much decent at least when it comes to passing, shooting and dribbling etc, Iwobi has a good foundation to start with, because if he improves in all those aspects, he could be come some player. People may not see it now because he doesn't look standout, but it will come to the fore. I think he will have a very good career at a higher level than people think. With his use of the ball and cleverness, Wenger will want to keep hold of him.

Yeah and there is also one thing that people forget that usually take longer time to follow from young age to older.

Iwobi already proved on younger levels he has end product. It will take time to get there. But players who have end product at young levels usually success in converse that to older levels!

Aevi

Hale End FC
Didn't see much of the game, but what really struck me was how well Iwobi undertood what he needed to do. He often passed forward instead of chickening out (which the youngsters often do) and playing it safe with a sideways or back pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom