• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He looks more like a midfielder than a winger. Very tidy on the ball, god athlete and very strong. I'd kind of written him off a bit to be honest, especially out wide, but centrally may be a different story.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He looks more like a midfielder than a winger. Very tidy on the ball, god athlete and very strong. I'd kind of written him off a bit to be honest, especially out wide, but centrally may be a different story.
He's always been a versatile player to be honest, as he's done well at CAM, out-wide, upfront and in CM. Will be interesting to see how they develop him, but to me he's more of an attacker. If he does become a midfielder, it would be interesting to see how he grows into that role. Certainly has the intelligence, technique and stature, but I think he's better going forward.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
he didn't rush anything. Fit right into our team, and kept it moving, which is more than what I can say about much senior players.

He has a calmness about him which reminds me of Diaby.

Yes. The way he runs is very Diaby-esque. Let's hope he stays fit and lives up to his potential more than Diaby was able to.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
Why do all our young prospects have to be central players lol are we not capable of developing wingers at this club?

We've got enough central prospects. We need some top talent outwide coming through the ranks. I think Iwobi could be a real force on the flanks.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Why do all our young prospects have to be central players lol are we not capable of developing wingers at this club?

We've got enough central prospects. We need some top talent outwide coming through the ranks. I think Iwobi could be a real force on the flanks.
I think because he doesn't have searing pace, or partiularly flashy dribbling skills, he isn't seen as a typical wide player. Iwobi probably closely resembles Campbell stylistically as far as his skillset goes.

A year and a half ago, I talked about Arsenal developing hybrid wingers in the reserve thread, as in wide players who function like wide-forwards and midfielders simultaneously. The players I mentioned then were Gnabry, Iwobi, Maitland-Niles and Willock. They all appear to be comfortable central but play out-wide. Maitland-Niles is probably the one who feels most comfortable wide, but they are all capable of playing like midfielders and functioning as wide-forwards if needs be. Wenger likes to have that security on the wing of intelligent players who can recycle possession or otherwise provide some sort of dual function.

Iwobi is a prime example IMO. He's shown the calmness and intelligence of a CM but has the capability of playing as a wide player. The versatility playing both positions is what Wenger probably desires more than anything.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
I like Iwobi. I think it's because I see a bit of myself in the way he plays. Passing and moving, bringing others into play, no dwelling on the ball. Tidy in possession without being wasteful. But at the same time can skin a defender when the time calls for it.

He certainly looked the part yesterday. Now for consistency ...

KillaJax

He glides around the pitch so effortlessly. I really like this kid. Sometimes he appears a bit awkward on the ball but I think its just nerves. Settles in pretty quickly with the first team and dictated play very well.

He and Zelalem have this calmness about them, rarely look out of place when playing with the first team. These two have a bright future in our midfield.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Impressive cameo. Showing once again that his intelligence and technical ability could prove to be vital if he wants to make it at Arsenal.

Passing was very solid, movement was good and some very nice touches to create space for himself and teammates. Need to see him gain some confidence in the final 3rd and take a little risk here and there. He can finish so would like to see more of that.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Embarrassing how much better than Walcott he looked. He can pass, he can link play, he doesn't lose the ball every time he gets it. He is a better option than Theo on the left wing.
Just needs some end product. I'm willing to be patient in that area, and I actually think that when Alexis comes back, it could be a shout to give him minutes at RW when Campbell's tank runs empty.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
When he came on i was hoping he would be the 10 a send ox to the wing. I think we wud have got the 3 points as he would have created a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom