• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Atmosphere at Emirates

Heisenberg

How funny you mention videos from that club. :D
I've both played for Brøndby's first team in my youth years until i got terribly injured, and also went to many home games there as a supporter since.

I can only speak highly of their home stadium. And i just wish Emirates would just make half the noise.

That being said, i think the english stadiums due to their "all have to be seated" rule, might have issues with this way of supporting. Unfortunately.
Well, I'm Danish and Brøndby's fans are by far the loudest in the country. Sometimes away sections of AGF and FCK can be okay.

And I totally agree with you; It does not take many people to create a very, very good atmosphere.
In the videos of Brøndby, it's actually only a few hundred of people are really crazy. The rest just turns up, and follow the "leaders".
The situation is the same for all other Danish clubs. Actually, it's quite clear how important a few people can be. For some of the smaller Danish clubs, their ability to create a noisy stadium varies a lot from season to season. The club Midtjylland, Man Utd played them in Europe League, has recently created all right noise at home. Normally, they have been very quiet - also when they were succesful.
A group of 10 dedicated young men seems to be the only difference; they go out, sing their hearts out, and they try to encourage the people around them... And it works.

If 2 block at Emirates were dedicated to the most dedicated loud fans, and they had 5-10 people to organise the singing, it would definitely get most of the North Bank rocking.

Reactions: CJJ

Heisenberg

Few hundred is a laughable number, really. You'll have the rest (including day trippers) moaning - sit down, stop shouting, etc. You will never ever have a proper support out of a sector with people who constantly boo or bash the team. Have a quick look on the ArsenalFanTV, how many of these guys do you think are up to it?
But he's right. It's literally only a few hundred. How much noise you make is of course influenced of the people next to you. At Emirates even in North Bank, it seems a bit random who actually sings a lot. Most people sing a little bit, but that's about it.
And would the same people sing if they where in the directors box? Probably not as much. Creating a crazy environment makes people go crazy. And North Bank is not close to that. Megaphones and drums could create that.

You make it sound like it is difficult to do what football supporters do. It is not. For every single movement they make, 2-3 guys with megaphones shout what they have to do.

And instructions like; "clap your hands", "sit down", "stand up", "sing the song about loving Arsenal" and "shout 'we hate Tottenham'" is quite easy to follow.

Tricolore

Great to have a proper discussion on the matter. :)

Whether few hundred are enough depends on the capacity as well, I am not familiar with numbers, but whats the capacity of the North Bank (lower tier, club level and upper tier each)?

say yes

forum master baiter
Hate myself for saying it, but easily the worst PL atmosphere one can experience is at the Emirates. It wont change any bit if you just put somebody with a megaphone in front - I am sorry to say it, but on a bad night the Emirates' goers get on the team's back quicker than Usain Bolt finishes sprints. You just can not make the majority of these people support Arsenal as passionately as the people do with their respective team in the videos above. Getting to such level of support takes years and years, it does not happen within the snap-of-a-finger. As someone who has been season-ticket holder for years and is passionate supporter of a club (my local club, supporting it since I was 5, way before I knew about Arsenal) where the ultras are mental, I know how hard it is to build on and consistenly reach such level of support among the fans.

The modern game is pricing passionate people away. The casual fans are no longer supporters, they are customers. They dont feel the need to get behind the team.

The Emirates isn't great but that's just not true.

Reactions: BBF

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Rather than a drum, I'd prefer the famous vuvuzelas.
Not only will it help with the noise but it'd also drown out Flamini's orders to his team-mates on the pitch which is the only thing he can do, forcing Wenger to finally bench him for once and for all.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
From what I see on TV and on highlights, fan cams, ArseFanTV etc... it seems like the majority of our fans at Emirates are middle-age and upwards. You rarely see fans younger than ~30.

Don't expect a 50+ man to sing during the whole game. No energy there.

Heisenberg

From what I see on TV and on highlights, fan cams, ArseFanTV etc... it seems like the majority of our fans at Emirates are middle-age and upwards. You rarely fans younger than ~30.

Likely to be one of the reasons too. It is difficult for younger persons to afford a season ticket. However, the people who was enrolled as a young gun, can easily have a silver membership, which give them pretty good possibilities to see - not all - but a fair amount of matches without being ruined. A lot of local younger men are likely to have that.

But yes, if the average age at North Bank is too high, it is a fair explanation. The loudest/craziest persons are - most of the time - at max 35 years old.

Triniboy

Well, I'm Danish and Brøndby's fans are by far the loudest in the country. Sometimes away sections of AGF and FCK can be okay.

And I totally agree with you; It does not take many people to create a very, very good atmosphere.
In the videos of Brøndby, it's actually only a few hundred of people are really crazy. The rest just turns up, and follow the "leaders".
The situation is the same for all other Danish clubs. Actually, it's quite clear how important a few people can be. For some of the smaller Danish clubs, their ability to create a noisy stadium varies a lot from season to season. The club Midtjylland, Man Utd played them in Europe League, has recently created all right noise at home. Normally, they have been very quiet - also when they were succesful.
A group of 10 dedicated young men seems to be the only difference; they go out, sing their hearts out, and they try to encourage the people around them... And it works.

If 2 block at Emirates were dedicated to the most dedicated loud fans, and they had 5-10 people to organise the singing, it would definitely get most of the North Bank rocking.

Im no expert but I agree with you, Im not sure if the stadium has any organization between the club and the fans to contribute to the atmosphere. But if that does happen I am sure it wil definitely make a difference. Just need some leaders and initiators to the cause.

Heisenberg

I think in our case one of the largest problems is that it will take a lot of time, costs, and unsatisfied fans to produce a new culture and atmosphere at the Emirates.

First of all, many season ticket holders at the North Bank to make a "singing section" possible. And I do not think the current "Red Section" is an entire singing section. If it is, they should do better. Relocating loyal fans is a battle the club cannot win.

Second, the North Bank is not open to anyone who are not a season ticket holder. This would probably be fine if the cost of a season ticket was lower, but that is not the case. The 'open' seats at Clock End often seem to have fans who are more willing to be loud than at the North Bank. And many of those are probably either Red- or Silver Members who cannot afford a ST, or still on waiting list.

A solution could be 1 or 2 blocks that are reserved to a 'singing fan club'. To make it even louder, I think it would be a good idea if it was possible for Red- and Silver Members to buy tickets in that area too.

And obvious elements Arsenal cannot directly force is of course to introduce safe standing. This could very likely be introduced within the next 5-10 years. There has not been problems with it in Germany, and it simply seems odd to have seats only a few people use anyway.

AVENTUS

I find the atmosphere is always better when tickets are sold to Red Members and general public they appreciate the occasion more Season ticket holders and silver Members make no noise whatsoever and watching Arsenal is a chore for them just there cause they can afford to be there.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
The Benfica fans at the Alliance for their CL 1/4 final sang for what seemed like the entire match, drums and all and it was quite amazing to hear. I'm sure there were drums there also.

Can't see the old stick-in-the muds at Arsenal allowing the ultra movements to get a foothold in at the emirates - you need to oragnize a section where those that chant & sing can go and thus create a wall of noise or do something to enhance the atmosphere. ou marvel at the fan support & noise at many stadiums around the world but maybe the EPL has become too monetized & sanitized for the true football fan.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

From what I see on TV and on highlights, fan cams, ArseFanTV etc... it seems like the majority of our fans at Emirates are middle-age and upwards. You rarely fans younger than ~30.

We have the oldest season ticket holders in the league according to some study . That comes from having the highest ticket prices in the league .

CJJ

Established Member
Think its worth bringing this thread up again. Robbie from AFTV having a go at the atmosphere and i think its totally justified.

As Robbie says: If clubs like PSG can, why can't Arsenal?

I'm from Denmark, so i'm not there week in week out, but when i get a chance to see an Arsenal game i'm surprised its so quiet. No organized fan-sections with people facilitating singing, drums etc.
Is it simply not english culture or what?

I think its a pity we don't do it, cause its certainly something that helps the team and affects the opponent.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
Last time I went to The Grove, I tried to get my block singing and they did about three chants and it all just petered out. I think they split up the North Bank ticket holders and the Clock End, thus not enough fans were together who created the singing. I thought they'd done something about that though. Highbury used to be called the library though.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom