• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joel Campbell: Got Out While He Could

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xhaka Zulu

Campbell has been a lot better on the pitch than his treatment indicates. Very good touches on the ball, good vision, potential goalscorer, VERY hard work. Another manager would play him all the time for his defensive shift alone, but of course at Arsenal that is the waste of energy.

"On the flanks he uses a lot of energy by chasing back and I would like to use his energy sometimes a bit more efficiently by going behind the defenders as he is a good finisher.'' :lol:

-Wenger on Sanchez's potential to play centre forward.

Iddi

I don't understand why we've never given him a shot at CF, more suited there than WF, in the PL at least.
That's what I don't get about Wenger.. He for some reason settles for his favorites and will play them to death even if they are calamitous each game, he will play them until those players prove to him that they are not good enough.

Almunia, Fabianski, Szny, Mertesacker, Denilson, Song, Chamakh, Flamini, Arteta, Ramsey, Senderos, Djourou, Giroud (who I like as a second striker not as first choice) etc..

Iddi

Maybe. But is he prolific enough?

Giroud, for all the stick he gets, at least nets roughly a goal every other game. Welbeck has (I think) a similar or a bit lower goal return at CF. Walcott gets you goals too, if nothing else.

But would Joelito be prolific at CF? I don't think so. The odd goal here and there but not enough I reckon. Alexis, a far superior player with a similar playing style, has also struggled at CF for us.

Welbeck is even poorer. He has grown up in the EPL from day one, he has played season after season and has never scored more than 9 goals in a EPL season.. And he is turning 27 years old soon..

skip spence

Welbeck is even poorer. He has grown up in the EPL from day one, he has played season after season and has never scored more than 9 goals in a EPL season.. And he is turning 27 years old soon..
I was and is unsure about his stats. But it seems he'll get you a fair few goals if you start him as a CF. Which hasn't really happened much yet in his career. Because he's never really been good enough may be the obvious answer but where does that leave Campbell who has no starts as a CF for us and no PL suitors either apparently.

Iddi

I was and is unsure about his stats. But it seems he'll get you a fair few goals if you start him as a CF. Which hasn't really happened much yet in his career. Because he's never really been good enough may be the obvious answer but where does that leave Campbell who has no starts as a CF for us and no PL suitors either apparently.
That's the problem with us fans, we will try to pad up / bend the rules in order to convince others about our arguments... You were trying to cause shock when you included Welbeck even though you did not have a clue about his Stats as a whole.. Let's be honest, it was all about padding up your argument, which is not a crime. So we move on. :)

Kanonier

Campbell took a huge paycut to go on loan to Sporting Lisbon and requested that a €10 million release clause be included in his contract. That right there should tell you all you need about his desire to play consistent first team football and get the **** out of Arsenal.

chessygoal

Campbell took a huge paycut to go on loan to Sporting Lisbon and requested that a €10 million release clause be included in his contract. That right there should tell you all you need about his desire to play consistent first team football and get the **** out of Arsenal.
I have a lot of respect for Campbell, he never sulked, never talked to the press and was always positive when he had a chance.
But he can't waste his best years on a bench, it's the Carlos Vela story all over again.

ksarp

So it's official! A meritocracy no longer exists at Arsenal. Joel is shipped while the likes of dumb and dumber( Ox , Theo) are given chance after chance.

Sad day for our esteemed club. Surely even the most ardent Wenger apologists can see that this club is headed in the wrong direction?

ksarp

I'm convinced Campbell's lack of appearances is partially related to off-the-pitch activities. Something has definitely happened that we don't know about, it's possible they don't see eye-to-eye. Say what you want about his quality, there were times where he was indisputably better than the players fielded. His bust-up with the Guadalajara player surely didn't help his case either, I doubt Wenger liked that at all.

There are those of us who belives Wenger doesn't appreciate Joel's fierce personality, Coq's too. He prefers the softer personalities. I wonder if the " leadership" of the team went to Wenger asking " why is Theo still ahead of Joel" ?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Good luck to him. Hopefully he will shine. With Iwobi injured and relatively untested, I can't understand why he wasn't kept for the LW spot. JC may not be the best,but at least he doesn't play us in to trouble on a regular basis.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Good move for him. Dont think he is the most suited to the English League but how he was used was odd at times.

Prefer him to Walcott & Chamberlin but really the less all three play for us the better. The next Arsenal generation are better.

STYLEZ

Don't understand this move. Unless Wenger has a signing in mind for the RW cause Ox & Theo alone for the season is asking for trouble

skip spence

That's the problem with us fans, we will try to pad up / bend the rules in order to convince others about our arguments... You were trying to cause shock when you included Welbeck even though you did not have a clue about his Stats as a whole.. Let's be honest, it was all about padding up your argument, which is not a crime. So we move on. :)
Get your point but you're overdoing it a bit there mate. :)
Saying that Welbeck is a better option than Campbell at CF is hardly shocking. And it's not like I have no clue. Welbeck has been among the goals when played as a striker. Not exactly prolific, but he does bag a few when playing up front. His record for England is pretty good too.

Campbell is largely untested at CF and imo there nothing to suggest he'd be a consistent goalscorer for us even if played up front. Would he get more chances under another manager than Wenger? I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom