• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rate the Transfer Window

How would you rate our transfer business on a scale from 1-10?

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 14 10.0%

Votes: 55 39.3%

Votes: 44 31.4%

Votes: 20 14.3%

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Lower than 5

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

say yes

forum master baiter
6.5, voted 6 because our transfers were so late and it has affected our start to the season.

Xhaka and Mustafi should strengthen our spine for the foreseeable future, leaving most of our powder next season for some top quality attackers. Unless they flop. In which case they're pretty expensive flops.

Our problem last season was scoring goals though and I'm not really sure how much we've done to address that. I'm optimistic about Lucas but at the end of the day he's a huge unknown and it pisses me off we didn't move for someone like Mahrez given Walcott still starts for us. Think Xhaka could actually be the biggest improvement for us here. Having a DM capable of dictating the game should (hopefully) open up a lot of options going forward.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I wanted to give a 7 because we should've finished our business earlier, especially the Mustafi deal, but given his injury and how long it took to finish it he wouldn't have contributed anyway, so I can't blame the club for that.

Could we have bought better CB's and CM's than Mustafi and Xhaka? Not in my opinion. Holding also looks like a top prospect, Asano might turn good and talents are always welcome. Perez looks exactly like the type we need but not sure on his level, however I can't think of a better striker we could've signed for a fair price.

The above makes it an 8, but I want to give an extra point for the effort the club has put in this summer to close all gaps in the squad. I geniunely think they've done a fantastic job, so a 9 is deserving.

10/10 had we bought a WC attacker on top. But overall I couldn't be happier, and I'm looking forward to this season more than ever.

Your latest post have been, sum what not so furious, I like it.

Doom

Maybe the better question is who had a better window than us?

Here's the full list of moves
https://www.premierleague.com/news/61463

Man Utd did better that us I think.

Man City brought in quality but they also let a lot of players go: Nasri, Bony, Dimichellis, Mangala and Hart. I know they're not world beaters but those players aren't exactly dead wood either.

Leicester lost Kanté but they bought a good few. I've no idea who they are but they seem to work the market well.

Liverpool for all the talk of a Klopp team look about the same as last year.

Tottenham have added Wanyama, Nkoulou, Janssen and Sissoko and lost a few too. They've added numbers but are they quality? Like Wanyama when he was at Celtic was extensively scouted by Fergie who decided to pass. Sissoko is loathed by Newcastle fans. Nkoulou and Janssen are young.

So I'll give Arsenal second best window and a 9.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
Overall it's been a decent window.

Young talent, that can turn out to be the stars of the future who didn't cost a lot of money, and Holding has already shown some very promising play. Eager to see Nwakali and Asano aswell.

Xhaka looks a really good buy. Sort of the same as when we signed Arteta. A lot of people seem to forget that Arteta was an important piece of our midfield back then, but age and injuries ended his time abruptly. Some say this wasn't a pressing matter, but some of those are the same who were screaming for a DM before Coq emerged. I like Xhaka and think he'll have an even greater effect than Arteta had.

Lucas is exciting because he is unknown (atleast to me) and I think he can be a real asset for us either on the wing or up-front. I like what Giroud has to offer, but we need to have fierce competition to get the most out of him, and have other options if and when he hits a cold streak. He seems a steal in the current market (like all our transfers do come to think), but we'll see how he actually settles in.

Mustafi is really something we needed. Yes, we had a lot of CBs and yes Holding has impressed but he needs time. I expect Koscielny and Mustafi to be a very solid pair and with the wealth in options we have the position looks stacked for seasons.

Ofc I'd loved a 'madness' signing at the end, but all in all a very nice window.
**** it. I like the players we bought a lot. Gonna rate it at 9.

Santi's Left Foot

No Longer Sleeping in Theo's bed
Those who voted 8 (significant improvement) and 9 (vast improvement) I'd be interested to know if therefore you think we have done enough to be champions this season?

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
Those who voted 8 (significant improvement) and 9 (vast improvement) I'd be interested to know if therefore you think we have done enough to be champions this season?
I honestly think so yeah. But who the **** knows. Big money moves to both Manchester clubs with managers I hate. Chelsea could be dangerous, but Luiz is there to mess things up do.

But do believe we can do it, but a lot comes down to how Lucas settles I think.

Doom

My take is that last season we had everything to win the league except a goal scorer. The lack of goals meant we dominated games but either had edgy energy sapping wins or watched points trickle away in draws and defeats.

If 2 of the following not improbable things happen
  • Pèrez hits the ground running,
  • Giroud does go 3 months without scoring,
  • Walcott finds some form, or
  • Sanchez regains his first season form
Then I am certain we are serious challengers.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Maybe the better question is who had a better window than us?

Here's the full list of moves
https://www.premierleague.com/news/61463

Man Utd did better that us I think.

Man City brought in quality but they also let a lot of players go: Nasri, Bony, Dimichellis, Mangala and Hart. I know they're not world beaters but those players aren't exactly dead wood either.

Leicester lost Kanté but they bought a good few. I've no idea who they are but they seem to work the market well.

Liverpool for all the talk of a Klopp team look about the same as last year.

Tottenham have added Wanyama, Nkoulou, Janssen and Sissoko and lost a few too. They've added numbers but are they quality? Like Wanyama when he was at Celtic was extensively scouted by Fergie who decided to pass. Sissoko is loathed by Newcastle fans. Nkoulou and Janssen are young.

So I'll give Arsenal second best window and a 9.

I think it's difficult to rate your own transfer window by comparing it to other teams. Other teams have different needs to complement their current squad. Let's take my team for instance, did we have any high profile proven attacking outfielders like Alexis or Özil in our team? Probably not, so we bought the likes of Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Zlatan to bolster our attack.

I don't think that necessarily means that we've had a better window than team A, B or C. If you look at our squads in comparison to yours I don't think there's really that much in it.

I don't mean to sound like a knob but I just don't think it's a good way to analyze your own team's progress. You're essentially comparing 5aside transfer market teams and avoid the bigger picture by narrowing the scope on 5 players.

Last edited:

Sykes

6.5 for me. While we have addressed the holes in the squad, still don't think it'll be enough to win the league. Would've been a 8-9 if we had signed a better striker than Perez, but can't complain.
What these signings does is guarantee us a top 4 place which is going to be more difficult than ever.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I said 8, we needed a top CB and top DM and we got them. Question marks over Perez but he looks good.

Also Holding is a great addition.

Giroud

Established Member
Good window for me. 3 good signings down the spine of the team which is exactly what we needed and considering we had the least work to do of all the top sides it puts us in a good position to challenge. Whether we can sustain a challenge comes down to the influence of Perez up front. If he brings his La Liga form over with him a massive burden is lifted from the shoulders of Giroud and Sanchez as it was ultimately their loss of form which cost us the title last time around IMO.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
6/10

Addressed most weaknesses in the squad bar the wingers. Bought some decent players, and we haven't been left short for once. Holding, Mustafi and Perez look like good players, not spectacular, but good. However, it's taken years to address weaknesses, we still don't have a quality striker, and we've already dropped 5 points throughout the window. 5 points that usually matter right at the end of the season. Looks like the same old this season, with less embarrassing results.

This could have been a 7/10 by getting rid of the dirt that the charity of Wenger keeps helping. Gnabry and Jack off but Sanogo and co still being here leaves a sour taste.

Doom

I think it's difficult to rate your own transfer window by comparing it to other teams. Other teams have different needs to complement their current squad. Let's take my team for instance, did we have any high profile proven attacking outfielders like Alexis or Özil in our team? Probably not, so we bought the likes of Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Zlatan to bolster our attack.

I don't think that necessarily means that we've had a better window than team A, B or C. If you look at our squads in comparison to yours I don't think there's really that much in it.

I don't mean to sound like a knob but i just don't think it's a good way to analyse your own teams progress.

You don't sound like a knob and I know what you're saying.

Why I'd disagree is because I think that all players can be considered to add a defensive and attacking force to a team. That creates a universal, albeit rough round the edges, standard for comparison

In aggregate, Arsenal's lot look like they will strengthen a surprisingly strong defense and maybe improve attack.

Man Utd's lot will add a bit at the back, which was already strong, but add tons of goals.

That's my thinking anyway.

USArsenalFan716

I think we will be competitive....Who knows if we will be champs. A lot of breaks have to go your way with injuries, other teams injuries, playing teams at the right time, refs......Other teams have some new parts that may or may not fit...

The league is definitely tougher with the new additions this year.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Seeing as we've brought experienced players in key positions we needed improvement, the bar is set at 10.

I give it an 8 though because there are some areas of disappointment. We left two of our main signings until after two big games had already been trashed, which may have been preventable if done earlier. Our most important signing, the attacker, is coming in with reasonable question-marks on his head. Also, we failed to get rid of some of our poor performers to make room for youth. I approve of all the signings though, the smaller ones have exciting potential too. Good window overall.

MATHEO

A Top CB, Top CM, and World Class striker would have earned a 10
We signed a Top CB, Top CM, and a promising striker, which I'd give an 8.5
But loaning out Jack makes it a 7

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I don't think so. Not because we have not done a good window, but because I am not convinced Wenger still "has it". The squad itself is one of the best in the Premier League.

Hopefully Wenger will prove me wrong.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Solid 8. We sorely missed a DLP/DM and Xhaka is filling this void.
Mustafi is a top CB, WC Winner, young but already very experienced, instant starter.
Perez gives us options upfront with his pace and dynamism. Will score plenty. Strong character as well.
Holding is a major talent and a steal.
We have definitely solidified the team's spine

PS. Those who voted lower than 5 should look for an other team to support. Clueless.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
It' a mixed bag: We improved the spine of the team signing a young CB, CB, CDM and a striker (I am very happy with all four). In doing this we adressed 3 of the 4 holes in the team ( I still feel the need for a more consistent, better defensive RB but hopefully Bellerin can further develop).

The down side has to be letting Gnabry go, Wilshere and Campbell out on loan. We still couldn't get rid of the players who aren't Arsenal quality in Sanogo, Ramsey and Debuchy whom if giving game time will probably have an negative impact on us.

Top Bottom