• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Now that the old 'Evaluation' thread is locked it's time to look to the future. The celebrations have generated renewed media interest in the maestro and some of the stats and memories have perhaps persuaded some that the king is not yet dead.

Like some of the players his contract is up at the end of the season. So is he a winning hand or a busted flush?

I believe he's still our best chance of a title. People write him off every season but he's always in the mix. Many predicted he'd fail miserably this season with Pep, Mourinho, Conte, Poch, Bilic, Koeman and Klopp having the necessary quality to finally see him off.

But 7 games in, he's rising like cream to the surface.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

It's Arsenal Fc and one way or another the club will survive without Arsène. It has to. His legacy is immortal the man himself is not.

A new deal delays the inevitable. And the longer we leave it the optimistic part of me says that gives us more opportunity to find a new manager the pessimistic me thinks we've already missed on Klopp and Pep and it's hardly like top managers are easy to come by.

Anyone else want to join me on the fence?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
It's Arsenal Fc and one way or another the club will survive without Arsène. It has to. His legacy is immortal the man himself is not.

A new deal delays the inevitable. And the longer we leave it the optimistic part of me says that gives us more opportunity to find a new manager the pessimistic me thinks we've already missed on Klopp and Pep and it's hardly like top managers are easy to come by.

Both Klopp and Pep are young. They won't be unavailable forever. Just saying.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

According to Sky Sports the average lifespan of football managers in England 1.2 years. So a new deal just delays the inevitable for every manager ;)

Klopp's 1st year at Liverpool was no better than Rodgers' first year in charge. As much as I like the guy the EPL jury is still out on him. As for Pep, let's see what the end of season brings.

Wenger's got a proven track record and experience in the EPL and he's got 5 years left on Ferguson.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Too early to call.

As it stands right now - no deal. We could very well collapse in a heap as we usually do in Feb/Mar. If there was ever a time to judge Arsène in May, well this year is definitely it.

I don't see it playing out that way, however. The BoD will be keen to resolve the issue ASAP and there's probably a 3 year deal on AW's desk right now.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Why did the old thread close?

I'd say deal unless we have established quality lined up. We don't have the money of the superclubs to keep us afloat while we go from one **** manager to the next. Maybe we can keep him on a one year rolling contract and wait for Ancelotti or Simeone?

Klopp was the one that got away imo. Pochettino and Koeman look exceptional especially the former but most of us would have baulked at their 'small names'.

Doesn't matter anyway, like Zig said he most probably has an offer on the table already, and I can't see him spending all this money just to walk away. Maybe that's why Fergie left United with an ageing squad.

I'm well and truly on the fence here...I kind of don't care.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Maybe that's why Fergie left United with an ageing squad.

I'm well and truly on the fence here...I kind of don't care.
Fergie wanted to make sure his name was boasted long after he left. Selfish way to retire. Arrogant man. Brilliant but arrogant. At least Arsène has class and in many ways has been selfless.

I'm too on the fence. Just want to watch the season. There's a good feeling again.

Goonerozil33

Deal for 3 years. It is not like there are amazing managers waiting in the wings. When he eventually leaves, whoever joins us will not stay long with us. If he is successful it is very likely that he will be tempted by real or barca. I just can't believe there will be some manager who will love this club as much as Arsène does

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

How do we know other high calibre managers won't make themselves available once the Arsenal position becomes vacant? It's got to be one of the most lucrative positions in world football from a location, prestige and pay POV.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Id say deal but on a 2 year, at the end of the day the current squad are 2-3 years too late. What i mean by that is this calibre of the players and the amount of players should have been at his disposel 2-3 years ago. Granted it isnt all his fault but the buck ends with him.

Tactically im still not 100% convinced, i heard on the radio today regarding the england team talking about hodgson with no plan b. They said wenger could be the man, but he doesnt show much of a plan b to me either.

See what we do this season get Özil, sanchez and caz's contract sorted then make a decision imo.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Deal for 3 years. It is not like there are amazing managers waiting in the wings. When he eventually leaves, whoever joins us will not stay long with us. If he is successful it is very likely that he will be tempted by real or barca. I just can't believe there will be some manager who will love this club as much as Arsène does
I can appreciate that you want Wenger to stay, but this is quite a sad post.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Arsène spent 90m+ this summer. He is 1000% getting an extension/it was always on the cards dont fool yourselves. Our start of the season has nothing to do with it.

As usual, I agree 100% with @Gooner Zig.
Too early to call.

As it stands right now - no deal. We could very well collapse in a heap as we usually do in Feb/Mar. If there was ever a time to judge Arsène in May, well this year is definitely it.

I don't see it playing out that way, however. The BoD will be keen to resolve the issue ASAP and there's probably a 3 year deal on AW's desk right now.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Anyway, as others said. I'd keep him on a two year contract, enough room for us to make plans and contact his sucessor after next season, while also still leaving us in a comfortable position to renew with Arsène if no one is available.

He may bug me and I have my doubts on him, but we can at least expect him to keep us in the Champions League and somewhat "compete" for the EPL.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Arsène spent 90m+ this summer. He is 1000% getting an extension/it was always on the cards dont fool yourselves. Our start of the season has nothing to do with it.

As usual, I agree 100% with @Gooner Zig.
In a recent interview, Wenger said he wants to wait until the end of the season.

The big problem is that the board will be worried about Sanchez and Özil not renewing their contract because of the Wenger uncertainty.

Whatever your opinion of Wenger it speaks volumes that the players both past and present place him in such high regard.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

The man is 67 years old , the board need to be thinking of a succession plan regardless be it end of this year or within three .
Trump is 70 and running for arguably the biggest job in the world. Wenger appears to be fit and well so there are probably larger issues than age here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom