• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2016/17 season

Where will Arsenal finish this season?

• Total voters

Bendtneer

Wenger needed to sign a world class Winger.We have soo many wingers but not one stand out..iwobi,theo,ox,lucas....And Theo n ox both shouldn't start together against any decent opponent they both can't keep the ball.if Alexis plays as a striker we need a world class wide man.Reus,Douglas Costa or James Rodriguez.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

10 games in a row is insane.

Still not over but I'm sure every title winner has a run like this, nobody can stay 100% for the whole season.

It's one of the things we lack. We're good at unbeaten streaks but win streaks? Forget about it. We had a decent one this season but that evaporated as soon as we came up against a top side.

Said it before the Everton game so know it's not knee jerk – there's not enough here to win a title imo.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Only two losses after 1/3rd of the season is done with and we're out of it?

No need to be that negative. ;)
No we're not out of it, of course we're not.

I'm saying that we don't have enough to win it imo. You look at the team immediately and the first thing you see is a clear lack of reliable goal scorers. That's before you even look at the finer details such as bogey teams/managers, reliance on injury prone players, the CM situation etc etc

Nyctophobia

Established Member
No we're not out of it, of course we're not.

I'm saying that we don't have enough to win it imo. You look at the team immediately and the first thing you see is a clear lack of reliable goal scorers. That's before you even look at the finer details such as bogey teams/managers, reliance on injury prone players, the CM situation etc etc
I wasn't really writing directly to you, but we won't know until towards the end of the season and who knows; maybe we'll be surprised, maybe we won't.

I prefer to say that we can, rather than we can't, otherwise what's the point?

blaze_of_glory

Stating the obvious, but a classic example of how bad refereeing decisions directly affect the end results in Premier League.

United won the game after some blatantly shocking refereeing decisions in their favour, while we lost the game, firstly after the corner from which the second goal was non existent and then were denied a clear penalty

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-rojo-deserved-red-card-says-dermot-Gallagher

INCIDENT: Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo went in for a two-foot challenge on Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha.

SCENARIO: Referee Craig Pawson awarded Palace a free-kick and booked Rojo, but the nature of the challenge could have easily seen the Argentine pick up a red card.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Incorrect decision

DERMOT SAYS: It is a red card, there's no doubt about it. Zaha has done him a massive favour because he has seen him coming but got out of the way of it. That's all the referee could have thought, that he hasn't made contact, but that doesn't excuse what he's done. You don't have to have two broken legs for it to be a red card.

[The referee] has recognised it wrong, he's not read it as it should be. If he sees that again, which he will do, he'll be really disappointed.

Crystal Palace 1-2 Manchester United, Premier League, Wednesday
INCIDENT: Manchester United score the opening goal against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park in controversial circumstances as Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Paul Pogba combine, with the latter finding the back of the net.

SCENARIO: The replays suggested that Ibrahimovic handled Juan Mata's free-kick in his assist for Pogba, and the Frenchman was in an offside position as he converted. Regardless, the goal was not ruled out.

DERMOT SAYS: It does look like handball, there's no doubt about that. I think Pogba is offside but in defence of the assistant it's a very tough call for him because it isn't clear cut.

What I would say is if the referee had given handball there I dont think anyone would be complaining. It happened so fast, it's very easy when we look at still pictures and say: "he's half a body offside". But he is just offside.

Crystal Palace 1-2 Manchester United, Premier League, Wednesday
INCIDENT: Zlatan Ibrahimovic appeared to throw an elbow into the face of Yohan Cabaye during the second half at Selhurst Park.

SCENARIO: Referee Craig Pawson missed the incident, allowed play to go on and Ibrahimovic was unpunished and later went on to score the winning goal.

skysports-zlatan-ibrahimovic-yohan-cabaye_3853078.jpg

DERMOT SAYS: It's one for the FA to look at, which they have the option to do. What I would say is with so many cameras at football grounds I don't know why people take a chance like that.

I think if the referee sees that, which he doesn't, [the player] will get a red card.

and then

Everton 2-1 Arsenal, Premier League, Tuesday
INCIDENT: Arsenal were not given a late penalty in their defeat at Everton after Alexis Sanchez went down in the box under a challenge by Kevin Mirallas.

SCENARIO: The Everton midfielder appeared to trip the Chilean as Arsenal pushed for an equaliser at Goodison Park, but referee Mark Clattenburg waved away their protests and the Toffees went on to win the game.

DERMOT SAYS: I think it was [a penalty] because [Mirallas] didn't see Sanchez coming. He goes to kick the ball and Sanchez has nicked it away. Mirallas is unlucky, but the clue there is the ball has gone forward, so it's obvious Sanchez has won the ball and not Mirallas.
No idea who this Dermot guy is but I like him.

Refs are a liability.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
10 games in a row is insane.

Still not over but I'm sure every title winner has a run like this, nobody can stay 100% for the whole season.

It's one of the things we lack. We're good at unbeaten streaks but win streaks? Forget about it. We had a decent one this season but that evaporated as soon as we came up against a top side.

Said it before the Everton game so know it's not knee jerk – there's not enough here to win a title imo.

All you seem to do recently is highlight where other teams excel and proceed to tell us how much we lack that particular attribute :lol:.

It's definitely Chelski's to lose, the no Europe factor can't be overstated. But we've definitely got enough to win a league title. Title winners grow throughout the season, there's still a lot more to come from us. There has been evidence of previous failings still in our game, but not as much, which is encouraging.

We have a veteran goalkeeper in Cech, who has been there done that and still has world class ability. We have the best CB in the league in Koscielny. We have the best RB in the league in Bellerin. In Özil and Alexis we have two genuine game changers and match winners.

We're more than capable of winning the title. These boys will need to grow though, a lot more needs to come together. There's every chance of it happening too.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
If we lose and Chelsea wins this weekend then the title is out of our reach I think. This game is pretty much a must win if we want to have any realistic chance at fighting for the PL.

blaze_of_glory

I dunno. Everyone was convinced City had won the league back in September, and at that point Chelsea were nowhere to be seen. There's a long way to go. Even if we lose this weekend it can all still turn around. Chelsea have been squeezing wins out lately, and it only takes couple injuries or a turn of luck against them here or there and they can easily drop points.

Having no CL is a big plus for them though, no doubt. Maybe we should try it sometime :lol:

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I dunno. Everyone was convinced City had won the league back in September, and at that point Chelsea were nowhere to be seen. There's a long way to go. Even if we lose this weekend it can all still turn around. Chelsea have been squeezing wins out lately, and it only takes couple injuries or a turn of luck against them here or there and they can easily drop points.

Having no CL is a big plus for them though, no doubt. Maybe we should try it sometime :lol:

People seem to fall into the trap of looking at a season with tunnel vision, or with blinkers on.

The season is not even at its halfway point. Here and now it looks like Chelsea and only Chelsea, the team that can do no wrong. But its funny what two bad games can do to perception.

We need consistency in our results this season.

Call me crazy, but I have penciled in a loss and two draws every 10 games this season as a standard. Sure that means we beat City, West Brom, Palace, Bournemouth, but that is possible with this team. We stick to something like this, and we will be there.

Forget the media, the disappointing ends to our seasons and look at this team and what they are doing. By no means a perfect outfit, but one thing is for certain. Wenger and co are really trying to turn us into a well oiled machine. The evidence is clear.

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Wenger needed to sign a world class Winger.We have soo many wingers but not one stand out..iwobi,theo,ox,lucas....And Theo n ox both shouldn't start together against any decent opponent they both can't keep the ball.if Alexis plays as a striker we need a world class wide man.Reus,Douglas Costa or James Rodriguez.
exactly what i have been saying, alexis might well prove to be a the world class striker that we have been crying for. However now we are lacking a world class winger. Basically a classic case of robbing peter to pay paul or having lost your left arm in an accident then transplanting your right to replace it.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Despite my positive outlook, we are faced with this ominous statistic.

9xwMWkh.jpg

RUS arsenal

Established Member

Being positive is nice and all and overall I've been on the positive side so far, however, blind positivity won't help anybody especially the team.

If we lose and Chelsea and 'Pool win then not only are we 9 points off the pace with close to half a season played, we'd be also behind both City and Liverpool. Even if the Blues slow down, it is very likely that one of the other 2 teams will go on a run soon. At that point only a miracle would see us winning the PL. And even then, a miracle won't come about if the team keeps thinking that everything is still ok and there is no need for urgency.

I think the fans can help the team by infecting it with that sense of urgency. This doesn't mean booing the team off the stadium but some constructive criticism (in a form of banners and chants) along with some encouragement would probably help (carrot and stick approach if you will).

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Will be interesting to see if Conte strengthens in January with the Oscar 60 million! He has done really well with the new guys like Kante, Luiz & Alonso as well as the fringe players last season like Moses & Pedro.

Unless we get the whole team firing closing out the season with Sp**s away, United, Stoke away & Everton will kill any potential title challenge & could even hurt top four without a gap.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Despite my positive outlook, we are faced with this ominous statistic.

9xwMWkh.jpg
Well more positivity is that the last team on the list were overtaken that season and ended up 8 points behind the leaders in April. It's an impressive pace they've set but they won't run away with it, I'm sure.

blaze_of_glory

Being positive is nice and all and overall I've been on the positive side so far, however, blind positivity won't help anybody especially the team.

If we lose and Chelsea and 'Pool win then not only are we 9 points off the pace with close to half a season played, we'd be also behind both City and Liverpool. Even if the Blues slow down, it is very likely that one of the other 2 teams will go on a run soon. At that point only a miracle would see us winning the PL. And even then, a miracle won't come about if the team keeps thinking that everything is still ok and there is no need for urgency.

I think the fans can help the team by infecting it with that sense of urgency. This doesn't mean booing the team off the stadium but some constructive criticism (in a form of banners and chants) along with some encouragement would probably help (carrot and stick approach if you will).
Oh it would be a big hole for sure. And most likely we would not win, but I just take issue with saying it would definitely be over. Defeatism won't help either.

I agree urgency is key, and we just have to hope the team is up to the task.

Top Bottom