• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Midfield Enigma

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I still think we don't have any midfielder, Cazorla included who can play in a MF2.

We can get away with it against the middle to lower clubs in the PL but against any half decent team we generally always lose the MF battle. My view is that against bigger teams away from home or even at home, we need to line up with a 3 man midfield.

Except when he was played dizzy against Spuds.

Or when when he couldn't pass the ball against Liverpool at Emirates. Or when we couldn't control, score and win a home game for like 5 games in row. There are tons of examples of Cazorla not working in midfield.

Cazorla becoming some midfield legend on here in his injury time. The truth couldn't be further away.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I still think we don't have any midfielder, Cazorla included who can play in a MF2.

We can get away with it against the middle to lower clubs in the PL but against any half decent team we generally always lose the MF battle. My view is that against bigger teams away from home or even at home, we need to line up with a 3 man midfield.
I'm with you. When's the last time we put a big side on the back foot because our midfield dominated? Even against smaller sides where we 'dominate' possession and territory, I'd argue it's mainly because they choose to sit back. We have a lot of good midfielders but none that make up a good enough duo. It also doesn't help when your attacking midfielder is redundant when we don't have the ball.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Or when when he couldn't pass the ball against Liverpool at Emirates. Or when we couldn't control, score and win a home game for like 5 games in row. There are tons of examples of Cazorla not working in midfield.

Cazorla becoming some midfield legend on here in his injury time. The truth couldn't be further away.
Undoubtedly he is one of our better midfielders but there seems to be some inconvenient facts forgotten.

I think the truth is our midfield is generally good enough but our system will make it come up short in some games regardless of who is in there.

ScotVieira

Established Member
As much as I am a proper Özil fan, I am beginning to believe that he is a major problem for us tactically in certain games.

We need to play with 3 in the middle in certain games so that we don't get over-run. Özil is a luxury that should be sacrificed in such games. I'd rather have Coq, Neny and Xhaka for those kind of games where we need proper midfield presence, especially against the bigger clubs. If we dominate the midfield enough, e can then unleash Özil to start causing destruction.

Being dominated in the midfield means we will be on the back foot. That has a mental effect on players and they will struggle to get out of it in 90 minutes. Arsène should get his acts together and let Özil know that we cannot carry his burden for 90 minutes in every game.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

As much as I am a proper Özil fan, I am beginning to believe that he is a major problem for us tactically in certain games.

We need to play with 3 in the middle in certain games so that we don't get over-run. Özil is a luxury that should be sacrificed in such games. I'd rather have Coq, Neny and Xhaka for those kind of games where we need proper midfield presence, especially against the bigger clubs. If we dominate the midfield enough, e can then unleash Özil to start causing destruction.

Being dominated in the midfield means we will be on the back foot. That has a mental effect on players and they will struggle to get out of it in 90 minutes. Arsène should get his acts together and let Özil know that we cannot carry his burden for 90 minutes in every game.
Can't see why we can't play Özil as part of a midfield three tbh as the most attacking CM. He would be playing a similar role but just starting from a deeper position and just having an extra body in there would help.

Pep has done a similar thing with David Silva so there's no reason why it couldn't work, in fact his general ability on the ball would help us with getting through presses.

N

NotAUserName

Can't see why we can't play Özil as part of a midfield three tbh as the most attacking CM. He would be playing a similar role but just starting from a deeper position and just having an extra body in there would help.

Pep has done a similar thing with David Silva so there's no reason why it couldn't work, in fact his general ability on the ball would help us with getting through presses.
Özil's dribbling is far from Silva's or Cazorla's for that matter. I also doubt he has the guts for the rigors of central midfield.

Hunter Zolomon

Özil's dribbling is far from Silva's or Cazorla's for that matter. I also doubt he has the guts for the rigors of central midfield.
you are right, i dont think Özil can adapt to that position like kevin de bruyn and silva have. One of my problems with Özil, its either number 10 or bust for him.

ScotVieira

Established Member

It would be great if that can work. However, Özil has zero presence without the ball. He hardly ever makes any contribution when we don't have possession.

It is a luxury (liability) when we don't have the ball as we effectively start playing 10 men against the opposition's 11.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Jhaka - Wilshere

In theory, it looks fine but both are so left footed that it may create an unbalance in the game. Both tend to revert to their favorite foot more often then not and that makes them a bit too predictable as well.
Having said that, if we want to keep playing Özil at the 10, Arsenal need to find a solution for the MF. Our current MF of 2 is going to be overrun regularly by pressing, or better, teams in general, as it happened vs City.
Someone on a podcast mentioned as an option to this conundrum a Ray Parlour type on one of the flank, a useful workhorse, who could play the attacking role while coming back to help the MF as well.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

I'd call for a four man midfield.

The sooner we cover for Özil's defensive frailties, and keep him up the pitch, the better.

For now..

-----------------------Özil
---------------Elneny---Xhaka
--------------------Coquelin

With our entire squad available.

-----------------------Özil
-----------------Santi----Xhaka
---------------------Coquelin

Ultimately, going forward we need to replace Santi and Coquelin in the four. Wilshere can play that role for us if he stays away from those silly dribbles he makes when attempting to go upfield alone.

----------------------Özil
--------------Elneny----Wilshere
----------------------Xhaka

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Godwin1

Very well-known

I think Wenger may have seen Özil playing on the wing for us in big games with a midfield 3 in the past. The trouble is when he tried Özil there in was so spectacularly bad on a team level for us I don't think he'll have to bottle to try it again.

carlito'sway

Established Member

Just read it as well. The author makes valid points, some already mentioned here. My concern is with his proposed solution, a Xhaka-Ramsey pairing. He is a bit overly optimistic with regard to Ramsey defensive contributions as well as his capacity to distribute the ball properly, his biggest weaknesses, imo.
I would personally give a run to Elneny instead next to Xhaka.

Top Bottom