• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: Yutility

scytheavatar

Established Member
I thought then - and still believe - that Xhaka-AMN would be a good ideal in terms of complementary styles of play.

I see Niles as potentially being the player that Xhaka and Coquelin should have been; very good distributor from the back, with great long balls, and yet assured and reliable defensively. Would be devastating for our opponents to have him behind a Cazorla/Wilshere/Chamberlain driving the ball out from the back.

Of course yesterday was him up against weak opposition and we need to see him play against teams pressing him hard to see his real mantle.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I see Niles as potentially being the player that Xhaka and Coquelin should have been; very good distributor from the back, with great long balls, and yet assured and reliable defensively. Would be devastating for our opponents to have him behind a Cazorla/Wilshere/Chamberlain driving the ball out from the back.

Of course yesterday was him up against weak opposition and we need to see him play against teams pressing him hard to see his real mantle.
Xhaka's a better distributor IMO, but AMN has shown he has the versatility to play a similar role. He's playing smart football so far, and I think we'll see more of his dribbling skill and technique the more comfortable he gets.

Walter White

Is he homegrown? And what about Jeff?
After the disappointing turnout the british core was and with the possibility to lose Chambers and Gibbs we will have a homegrown quota to fill

Is he homegrown? And what about Jeff?
After the disappointing turnout the british core was and with the possibility to lose Chambers and Gibbs we will have a homegrown quota to fill

He is homegrown! I think Jeff will also be counted as homegrown by the age when he gets 21.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Watching him play now. Don't really see anything technically standout but the boy knows how to play and tactically pretty smart. Want to see him more.

And full credit to @MutableEarth He's been insisting that the boy is really good from far way back if I remember correctly. He wasn't even playing midfield but Mutable said he could.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I honestly think he can become just as important for us – maybe even more so – than Iwobi is for us.

We've found ourselves in a situation where we are lacking in well rounded athletic box to box midfielders and he can fill that gap.

He didn't have the best game against Preston but that's when I first noticed his composure. Ice cold on the ball, maybe too much so in that game but you can't teach composure like that.

This current batch of prospects joined the academy around the time that Wenger joined the club. They slot into the side seamlessly because Wenger football is all they know. I'd watch this space.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I honestly think he can become just as important for us – maybe even more so – than Iwobi is for us.

We've found ourselves in a situation where we are lacking in well rounded athletic box to box midfielders and he can fill that gap.

He didn't have the best game against Preston but that's when I first noticed his composure. Ice cold on the ball, maybe too much so in that game but you can't teach composure like that.

This current batch of prospects joined the academy around the time that Wenger joined the club. They slot into the side seamlessly because Wenger football is all they know. I'd watch this space.
Actually a lot of them were a bit later. Remember Wenger became manager in 96. AMN was born in 1997 and joined the academy in 2003.

A lot of these guys are former attackers in some way aswell and were given time in central midfield. If Maitland-Niles continues to excel, it looks very good for us with Iwobi playing a prominent role and to an extent Bellerin. Its enormous encouragement for the likes of Willock, Nelson, Mavididi and others who are largely Hale End products and have he capability to succeed. They just have to be smart and show the attitude that Iwobi and now Maitland-Niles is showing.

As far as Maitland-Niles suitability for the role, it is a drum I have beaten. Someone with the athleticism he has along with the technical and tactical ability is useful, and AMN has versatility as he has shown. The role he played last night is one of two roles he has mainly played for U23s. Alongside Zelalem, he stayed very deep and played a tactical game while Zelalem played slightly further forward. His other role was as number 10 for a few games.

Last edited:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He had a very good game. He was positionally sound,always available,good recovery pace and decent passing. Hexes also sensible in the tackle-he didn't dive in or commit any silly fouls and managed to take successfully in the box. Hope he does well.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Actually a lot of them were a bit later. Remember Wenger became manager in 96. AMN was born in 1997 and joined the academy in 2003.

A lot of these guys are former attackers in some way aswell and were given time in central midfield. If Maitland-Niles continues to excel, it looks very good for us with Iwobi playing a prominent role and to an extent Bellerin. Its enormous encouragement for the likes of Willock, Nelson, Mavididi and others who are largely Hale End products and have he capability to succeed. They just have to be smart and show the attitude that Iwobi and now Maitland-Niles is showing.

As far as Maitland-Niles suitability for the role, it is a drum I have beaten. Someone with the athleticism he has along with the technical and tactical ability is useful, and AMN has versatility as he has shown. The role he played last night is one of two roles he has mainly played for U23s. Alongside Zelalem, he stayed very deep and played a tactical game while Zelalem played slightly further forward. His other role was as number 10 for a few games.
Yh I was wrong there, not sure why I said that. :lol:

What I meant to say is that they're the first promising batch to come through that have learnt under Wenger's philosophy.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yh I was wrong there, not sure why I said that. :lol:

What I meant to say is that they're the first promising batch to come through that have learnt under Wenger's philosophy.
As a group I definitely agree. There is some really talented players born post 97 in the academy. Ive heard some say the 2001 born generation are meant to be amazing but Ive only really seen Trae Coyle. But there are some huge talents that need an opportunity.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Are you kidding? Ahead of Elneny, wont happen

I think Elneny is a solid player, but he's needed to improve either his defensive or offensive side of the game to be anything more than a squad player. Thus far I don't think he's done that, and that leaves the door open for someone else to take his spot.

Last season we had Flamini and Arteta in midfield, and we desperately needed an industrious player who could do the basics. Elneny was that guy.

However, this season all of our midfielders can do what Elneny does, and then some.

AMN can slot in at RB and he can contribute offensively too. I think the door's open for him to challenge Elneny. When he gets back from ACN, he'll have a fight on his hands.

Mike Vinna

Our squad is stacked with potential.. Coq, Elneny, Xhaka, ANM, Santi, Mesut, Ramsey, Ox, Iwobi, Wilshere.. And that's only our midfield options.

Sykes

Do you think Zelalem can still make it here??

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Only drawback would be that even Coq can ping the ball about against lesser opposition.

I think people are exaggerating his performance. Coquelin holding in front of the back four would be immense. He releases the ball quicker, he is stronger, dominant in the air and his passing is better. Coquelin would have stood out and put up better defensive numbers.

I'm also not sure how Xhaka is even being compared to AMN. He is by far a superior player and has proven it over a number of games. AMN is a talent but we are getting a bit carried away comparing him to Xhaka and Coquelin.

nick gould

We should get rid of coquelin in the summer. He is our worst midfielder by a long distance.
Ramsey will not be happy with that. Same as Elneny. The fact that they sit on the bench while the Coq plays must be saying volumes about them or about the Coq.

On a serious note though can someone tell me Maitland Niles. What's his style of play? Is he always that good. He never did any sliding tackles but always seemed to take the ball off the opponent all the time. A bit like Gilberto Silva or Song. Those guys didn't have to go for sliding tackles to dispossess their opponents.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I think people are exaggerating his performance. Coquelin holding in front of the back four would be immense. He releases the ball quicker, he is stronger, dominant in the air and his passing is better. Coquelin would have stood out and put up better defensive numbers.

I'm also not sure how Xhaka is even being compared to AMN. He is by far a superior player and has proven it over a number of games. AMN is a talent but we are getting a bit carried away comparing him to Xhaka and Coquelin.
I would love to see AMN or a player like him along side Coquelin in the big games. Would improve us hugely defensivly but also aid the team moving the ball through midfield. His positioning, pressing decisions & defensive footwork was what impressed me the most.

No doubt people will mention Xhaka but I thought it was a joy to watch us at the weekend without a Xhaka, Giroud, Per slowing us down. Its the perfect tonic to Wengers open tactics.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom