• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ARSNLNO1

We most definitely should sell him along with Ramsey and rebuild the midfield with two new central midfield players. There isn't much to gain from keeping him but the money from his sale could be used towards rebuilding the squad by a new manager.

I'm not 100% sure about Ramsey yet but I'd happily let Özil leave if we got good money for him. I would much prefer a deeper playing ACM that could play in a 3 man midfield trio so we can tighten up in this position and start to dictate games again like we used to. We haven't had 2 strong beasts in the center of the park for years now and without a Vieira type who is like 2 men with someone like Özil or Iwobi playing that position you leave yourself vulnerable in midfield.

I have arguments with mates and many of you may disagree with me also but although we set up as a 4 2 3 1, I always feel we look more like a 442 especially since Özil has come which we don't currently have the right kind of CM's to play. I am convinced that Xhaka, Elneny, Ramsey & Santi would all thrive in a 3 man midfield like we used to play with that sweet passing smooth interplay game. OK granted we tried to walk the ball into the goal too often but we were able to dictate games then.

Iwobi tried to play the Özil role last night and again it didn't work because we don't have the right kind of CM's for that formation plus Giroud was left stranded with no service.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure about Ramsey yet but I'd happily let Özil leave if we got good money for him. I would much prefer a deeper playing ACM that could play in a 3 man midfield trio so we can tighten up in this position and start to dictate games again like we used to. We haven't had 2 strong beasts in the center of the park for years now and without a Vieira type who is like 2 men with someone like Özil or Iwobi playing that position you leave yourself vulnerable in midfield.

I have arguments with mates and many of you may disagree with me also but although we set up as a 4 2 3 1, I always feel we look more like a 442 especially since Özil has come which we don't currently have the right kind of CM's to play. I am convinced that Xhaka, Elneny, Ramsey & Santi would thrive in a 3 man midfield like we used to play with that sweet passing smooth interplay game. OK granted we tried to walk into into the goal too often but we were able to dictate games then.
Yeah, I agree but I think we should sell Ramsey and go for someone like a Naby Keita or Franck Kessie with Koke as Özil's replacement. Would give us a defined and balanced three man midfield.

Özil and Ramsey have questionable personalities and attitudes along with a limited game.

Care to explain this opinion? It's one that you share with many other gooners but personally I've never had a problem with Ramsey's personality, just wondering where this all stems from?
Well, he is a selfish player and thinks too much of himself since that goal scoring break out season which pretty much halted his development in more important parts of his game as a midfielder. Does unnecessary flicks and tricks resulting in wasted possession more often than a solution. Pretty evidently thinks he is good enough to play for Barcelona but his level is hardly Arsenal.

Optimistic

Well, he is a selfish player and thinks too much of himself since that goal scoring break out season which pretty much halted his development in more important parts of his game as a midfielder. Does unnecessary flicks and tricks resulting in wasted possession more often than a solution. Pretty evidently thinks he is good enough to play for Barcelona but his level is hardly Arsenal.
Oh I see, so it's more about how he plays than it is his body language like with Özil? I can't help but agree with you in that regard. Whereas I think Özil is quality on the ball but I wish he wasn't so damn sulky.

Oh I see, so it's more about how he plays than it is his body language like with Özil? I can't help but agree with you in that regard. Whereas I think Özil is quality on the ball but I wish he wasn't so damn sulky.
Body language, actions in certain situations and overall demeanor is pretty important. You can't hide who you are on the pitch. Ramsey is selfish, delusional and clueless. Özil has no fight in him, is very weak mentally and too inconsistent for a supposed "world class" player.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You're blaming Ramsey for following his managers instrutions?

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
He wouldn't have made any difference yesterday, he is a wonderful footballer but he needs to be in a decent team, he is a luxury.
At the moment he's just a very nice and very expensive cherry on top of a very badly made cake.

Mikomir

He wouldn't have made any difference yesterday, he is a wonderful footballer but he needs to be in a decent team, he is a luxury.
At the moment he's just a very nice and very expensive cherry on top of a very badly made cake.
Exactly! In the right team with midfielders who can do the fighting and grinding for him, Özil is a formidable player - just look at Germany - but our team doesn't support a player of Özil's quality.

You're blaming Ramsey for following his managers instrutions?
That got canceled out when Wenger in a presser advised Ramsey to simplify his game. He also said in another earlier that he needed to go back to basics as a midfielder instead of looking to just score goals. That does obviously raise another question that Wenger can't get through to the players and it questions his level of authority as well control over them.

Exactly! In the right team with midfielders who can do the fighting and grinding for him, Özil is a formidable player - just look at Germany - but our team doesn't support a player of Özil's quality.
Özil was a passenger and a flop at the World Cup. Rooney and Peter Crouch were pretty "formidable" for England during qualifiers if you know what I mean.

Gervais

Established Member
I find it pretty amazing that this forum has gone from literally gagging for Roger Johnson and Yoann Gourcuff, to demanding Mesut Özil is sold just because he has a face like a slapped arse.

Kotikalja

Özil is a great player when in form, certainly our second best talent wise. However I feels he costs more than he contributes. In his last two seasons we haven't had a functioning midfield. That's not all on him, but he's a player that's really hard to accomodate.

Too many of our other midfielders are limited, i.e. destroyer Coquelin and the slow Xhaka. Combining players like that with the defensive passenger Özil does not give a functioning midfield. I think we should look to move him on and replace him with a couple of all action midfielders and start to play a more traditional midfield three.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Matt Law: "If Mesut Özil had been fit yesterday, he may well have also started as a sub. Wenger was prepared to drop him after his poor form."

And Ian Wright apparently reckons Özil may have feigned being sick in anticipation of being dropped...

Interesting developments at the club, these next few games are going to define what happens at the club following this season. Exciting.

Xhaka Zulu

Matt Law: "If Mesut Özil had been fit yesterday, he may well have also started as a sub. Wenger was prepared to drop him after his poor form."

And Ian Wright apparently reckons Özil may have feigned being sick in anticipation of being dropped...

Interesting developments at the club, these next few games are going to define what happens at the club following this season. Exciting.

Read those same reports. It's gonna be one hell of a summer, imagine Wenger, Özil and Sanchez all leaving at the end of the season.

I think Özil is the one most likely to stay at this point.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I want Wenger to stay, but fear he would think by doing so he is rubbing it to the fans, and it will make him just leave. IF Not, and he stays, Özil wll follow him and extend. We change it a bit, adjust and bring the best out of Özil ANd the rest. itS simple, you just

Optimistic

I know Özil hasn't been playing well recently, but damn, did Wenger see how Iwobi coped in the AM role? As far as I'm concerned even when he's not in form, he's the best man we've got in that position by leaps and bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom