• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Optimistic

This isn't exactly a great insight and it's been said by plenty of others plenty of times before, but I think Özil's poor form has been a result of 2 factors.
  1. Most importantly, the absence of Santi Cazorla. We often talk about the 'telepathic' link between Özil and Sanchez, but if anything, it's Özil and Santi who are always on the same wavelength. Furthermore Santi is so talented he can get the ball to Özil almost invariably, which allows Özil to play higher up the pitch, where he is most effective.
  2. A change of roles this season. Limited though Giroud may be, he is a 'classical' striker in the way he plays. Özil knows where Giroud is gonna be, and where and when Giroud wants the ball. He's easy to read. But Alexis plays the striker role a bit unconventionally, and Özil has been forced to adapt. Wenger described Özil as playing as a second striker in first leg against Bayern this year. Özil is talented enough that we all hoped he could adapt successfully--he hasn't really.
I love Özil. He's great at doing what he does. But apparently what he isn't great at is being flexible. It seems he requires the stars to align in order to really get the best from him.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You really going to buy this? I know you don't like the player but come on.
I love how you waited for him to be ruled out of the Bayern game before you posted that. I think we're both at least as bad as each other on this one

:lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I love how you waited for him to be ruled out of the Bayern game before you posted that. I think we're both at least as bad as each other on this one

:lol:
I have no idea what you're talking about.:)

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

seems he requires the stars to align in order to really get the best from him.
I've been banging on this drum for a while: You don't need the stars to align to get the best out of him!

The guy just needs a regular supply of the ball in the areas he operates in, and the simple way to do that is to have a midfield that works. That's it. No stars aligning just a functional midfield. We got a brilliant season out of him with a Cazorla-Coq midfield behind him. It wasn't a perfect midfield but it was functional.

If the stars do align (Real Madrid days) then what you get is the best playmaker on the planet (let's leave Messi out of it for now).

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
He doesn't have the virus anymore does he? He's not playing against Bayern because yesterday was his first real training session since before the 1st leg.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So that'll be the sixth game his missed through 'illness' :lol:

Last edited:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

He doesn't have the virus anymore does he? He's not playing against Bayern because yesterday was his first real training session since before the 1st leg.
No point of risking him in a pointless game either. Sure he would be getting minutes if the tie was still in the balance.

Reactions: A_G

Impact

Established Member
Think he'll probably stay because there will be a lack of top level suitors as opposed to a genuine love for the club. Want to see him in a midfield three as the left interior.

Don't think he has the persona for us to build around him, but he can certainly be a vital cog in the team.

ARSNLNO1

Özil needs to go in the summer. He is great going forward and laying on assists but I'm afraid Arsenal need to start again and re-build in the summer, and Özil is not what we need, he will potentially thrive in another team but I would much rather see the club use the money for him to strengthen more important positions.

I also thought that the first half when we had Ramsey, Xhaka & Ox playing a midfield 3 much tighter more compact worked much much better. Granted when we went down to 10 men it all fell apart but until then that trio looked great. Ramsey is clearly not match fit but none of that 3 have any blame for last night in my opinion.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Özil needs to go in the summer. He is great going forward and laying on assists but I'm afraid Arsenal need to start again and re-build in the summer, and Özil is not what we need, he will potentially thrive in another team but I would much rather see the club use the money for him to strengthen more important positions.

I also thought that the first half when we had Ramsey, Xhaka & Ox playing a midfield 3 much tighter more compact worked much much better. Granted when we went down to 10 men it all fell apart but until then that trio looked great. Ramsey is clearly not match fit but none of that 3 have any blame for last night in my opinion.

Mostly agree, especially on that trio yesterday. If Wenger is to stay I believe Mesut would do the same. I agree we wouldnt loose a lot if he leaves, but at the same time if he is to stay, we could use him in a bit different system.
love him or hate him, want him or not, he is Wenger type of a player and he would try his hardest to have him for as long as he could

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom