• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Can't believe I've been away for an extended period and people are still able to debate Wenger staying on.

He's actually holding the club to hostage now by not stating what his position is and leaving it to the last. If he stays till May before declaring that he's done (and moving to Barcelona or PSG), that would be one final **** you to the club.

He's not holding anyone to ransom, it's up to Gazidiz and the owners to lay down a time limit for him to decide.

If we've spoken to Allegri as rumoured, then the club must have some idea what's happening.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Wenger would never sign a one year deal as it puts so much spotlight and pressure on him and his team every week next season.

"This is your last home game v Utd, this is maybe your last FA Cup game, this is your last visit to Anfield" etc.

He'll stay on a multiple year deal or go.

I don't know.... One year with a transition plan, New DOF and the likes, may be an option. I can't see him jumping ship at the end of the season and leaving this mess of a team behind.

To Be A Rock

Can't believe I've been away for an extended period and people are still able to debate Wenger staying on.

He's actually holding the club to hostage now by not stating what his position is and leaving it to the last. If he stays till May before declaring that he's done (and moving to Barcelona or PSG), that would be one final **** you to the club.

At the end of the day he's an EMPLOYEE, only the owner can carry on without fear of the sack. All this 'holding to ransom' and 'forcing' this person and that person is such nonsense. He's not a Jedi ffs, the same as fans moaning about ticket prices yet still paying them then moaning about how do we get something done

GDeep™

League is very weak
If we don't finish top 4 he'll have probably failed on the minimum requirement on his current deal, so he'll walk having come short.

You also can't sell a new deal to fans on what to me looks like a rough end to the season with a league finish of 4-6.

Right now, I believe there looks to be no grounds at all for an extension.

carlito'sway

Established Member
We should not plan ahead, we should plan onhead as in NOW

New manager in starting MONDAY

It is the best possible scenario because both outcomes works

A: He gets us top4, great job the team and him pulled thru, silly season starts with a positive feeling in the club, he gets the cup glory and a new era has dawned

B: the worse case scenario, we don't get top4 or the cup. harsh but in reality not the new gaffers fault. silly season starts with an urgency. we should behave like Juventus when they were dropped to Serie B, they frekkin bounced back! and had a legauetitle 2 years after being back.
a good transfersummer a solid run for 4th and a Europa League win and a new manager should have a titlecontending team

with Arsène stil at the helm for even a single year not to mention two? we will be battling relegation ):

Dude, are you ok? :rolleyes:

Deathstroke

The Terminator
Personally, I don't mind the idea of Wenger taking another role while there is a new coaching staff working with the first team squad...

Good lord, no. When he leaves the post, it has to be a clean break. Let the new man bring in his staff (though I can understand keeping someone like Bould/Banfield to help with the transition); let's exorcise the club of the complacency and loser culture it's been infected with for so long.

The question of dealing with Kroencula and the other vampires is another matter entirely.

OShea's2010

Actually, I don't think it would be. There is a vocal minority that would not be happy but most fans would understand that a transition is taking place.
Wengers not thinking about a transition. He's just trying to hang on to the job as long as possible. He'll prob be angling for another one yr deal after this one

law90026

Established Member
At the end of the day he's an EMPLOYEE, only the owner can carry on without fear of the sack. All this 'holding to ransom' and 'forcing' this person and that person is such nonsense. He's not a Jedi ffs, the same as fans moaning about ticket prices yet still paying them then moaning about how do we get something done

If you believe he's only an employee, you're sorely mistaken. If he was truly just an employee, he would already be out the door. See Ranieri as an example.

All the talk to date, which few dispute, is that the ball is in Wenger's court. He's the one who has to decide whether to sign the contract or not. Even now, the talk about the contract being changed to a 1 year contract still indicates that it's in his court because the offer has been made.

Any well run organisation would have set a hard deadline on an offer instead of leaving it at the offeree's discretion. In the course of my work, I've even seen organisations immediately start looking for a replacement for a senior position once the incumbent talks about maybe not continuing or wanting a change, simply because effecting change at a senior level is incredibly complex and not just something that can be done in the space of a month.

Think about it: it takes time to negotiate a new contract with another manager, especially one that is already at a club. But that's not all in this case. The new manager needs time to come in and assess the squad and decide on transfer policy and transfers also take time. By leaving this to the last minute, the club is essentially putting itself in an untenable position for next season and all this because Wenger doesn't want to state what he wants to do next.

Stay or go, it's largely irrelevant by now though. If he stays, it's more of the same, maybe a little better, more likely somewhat worse. But if he goes without giving the club time to prepare? That's why it's called ransom. At some point, the club pretty much has to beg him to stay or face a situation where next season is a complete write-off.

happyhappy

If this rumoured 1 yr contract is true, it is a sign that the board wants him to retire from his current position. The board isn't stupid, if a new manager is already lined up, Wenger won't get the money to spend. With that in mind, signing on for just 1 more year will be suicidal for his reputation if everything goes south. We all know this squad needs some good investment or new ideas. He's been playing mind games with the fans for some time, so now is time for the board to do similar.

Both the board and Wenger himself are equally culpable for the current situation.

KAB

No matter how we wish, he will manage until he dies. 5-7mil a year is huge offer to turn down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom