• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Virgil Van Dijk

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Its very difficult to tell how he will develop, but at this moment a top class defender which are very rare would cost at least 30 million euro's.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

There will be about £100M to spend in the summer if not more, the CL money more than doubles next year as well due to BT getting the rights. Assuming we get a CB in January, probably a backup one, I want us to go out and get a starter, a top DM and then replace whoever leaves - if Monreal goes get a LB and if all three of Podolski, Rosicky and Campbell leave we should go all out for Reus, though it's very unlikely we'll get him.

spartandre217

Established Member
What top class CB's are even playing in today's football?

Let's start there and move down the list to see who might cut the mustard.

Spain: Laporte, Ramos, Godin, Pepe ?
Italy: Ogbonna, Chiellini, ?
France: N'Koulou, Marquinhos ?

Feel free to add to it at your leisure

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

When you start saying Ogbonna is top class you begin to realise maybe there is a shortage of top defenders.

I'd say Boateng is close to being the best CB on the planet currently. I also agree Pepe, Godin, Miranda all probably fall into that category. Hummels might be border-line. I think if Dortmund have a disastrous season then Hummels could become not beyond the realms of possibility, other than that the rest are not going to happen.

I still think people are doing Van Dijk an awful disservice. We all know Chambers is almost guaranteed to be our future CB, while Koscielny still has 3 top years left in him at least and Mertesacker will be much better alongside Koscielny as well so I think our back ups will be young (Chambers already there) and it makes someone like Van Dijk a sensible option unless Hummels does actually become available.

Iceman10

Established Member
At this rate Cahill may have to be included in that list. We should have got him when we had the chance although I don't know if he would be the same player.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I'd go for one of the Dortmund lads if possible, prepare for when Klopp comes in a couple of years. :wink:

The dream signing is Varane, but there's probably more chance of us signing Ronaldo.

Toast

Established Member
I very much doubt van Dijk will ever be good enough for us. He didn't play for a top club in the Eredivisie and didn't move to a top Eredivisie club because there were doubts over his ability/potential (in relation to his 3m euro price tag). From what I've heard he is indeed doing well at Celtic but let's not forget the Scottish competition is very poor and Celtic runs a one horse race in it. The SPL is arguably a step down from the Eredivisie as well. Moreover Celtic itself is on the decline as well. He could be simply be the best of a bad bunch which would still earn him a good reputation because of Celtic's reputation as a club. The fact that van Dijk can't break into the Dutch national team is also telling, seeing as our CB's - whilst talented - aren't exactly setting the bar very high at the moment.

In my opinion, van Dijk's reputation is mainly a hype job. He's tall, athletic, pops up with the occasional goal and generally gets the right PR. His stock has risen because he plays for Celtic now and is out of sight for most football fans. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player and I do think he can make the step up from Celtic, but he isn't and won't be Arsenal quality.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Arsène Wenger wants to hijack Chelsea’s move for Virgil van Dijk as he prepares to switch to a back-three on a long-term basis.
But after the Middlesbrough match...

Wenger: “It added more stability on the long balls. Recently we’ve been punished on that. [Is it permanent?] No.”

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard

I would love to go into the next season with a back 3 of Mustafi, Kos, van Dijk and with Ox and kolasinac as the wing backs. However it's Crossy, when has Crossy ever got a exclusive Arsenal transfer story right? I can't think of any. Only Goal.com and Tribal footbal have predicted more wrong Arsenal transfers than Crossy.

ARSNLNO1

I can't understand for the life of me why more people don't see the quality of this guy. Mustafi is bang average (Wenger has never had much of an eye for defenders) and if we want to push on we have to be signing players the like's of Van Dijk. The man is a born leader and captain and takes control every time I see him play.

He already proven himself to be premiership quality, in fact statistically I think he's one of the best defenders in the league this season. If we really mean business and yes I know he will cost £50M. Koscielny isn't going to be around much longer and Van Dijk is the type of strong, tall, no nonsense defender we've been screaming out for for a long time. He would also take the pressure of Holding who I would like to see get a loan deal and play week in week out for a season.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I would be happy if someone else reported and not Cross. i don't think we'll buy a center back this summer we have 3 good defenders the system need to change.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I would love to go into the next season with a back 3 of Mustafi, Kos, van Dijk and with Ox and kolasinac as the wing backs. However it's Crossy, when has Crossy ever got a exclusive Arsenal transfer story right? I can't think of any. Only Goal.com and Tribal footbal have predicted more wrong Arsenal transfers than Crossy.
He was big on Cech joining quite early on, but he was also adamant Wanyama was signing as well...

BBF

Van Dijk is a highlight reel player. Great on your youtube clips with the last ditch tackles and attacking headers but dodgy in real life.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom