• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

notafan

At the height of his powers & with all the big clubs after his service Wenger did exactly the same. Not sure why its such a big deal now.
If that's true, then I'm mistaken, and he's always been a devious and dishonest person. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, which is the right thing to do, as I don't know him personally.

And why it wouldn't have been a big deal when Wenger was at the height of his powers, is precisely because Wenger was at the height of his powers.

At that time, an announcement of his departure then might well have caused disruption and dismay. I really don't think that's the case today!

Toast

Established Member
I consider the whole squad cost thing to be laughable anyway, but what particularly cracks me up is the idea that Chelsea (squad cost £343m) can regularly compete for the title, but Arsenal (squad cost £306m) doesn't stand a chance.

EDIT: I regret posting this here. Mods willing, please take all squad cost related stuff here.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I consider the whole squad cost thing to be laughable anyway, but what particularly cracks me up is the idea that Chelsea (squad cost £343m) can regularly compete for the title, but Arsenal (squad cost £306m) doesn't stand a chance.
Keep in mind that Chelsea squad cost includes ridiculous figures for some defenders etc. The costs are so skewed by over priced players.

You're right, completely laughable!

notafan

On squad spend.

On browsing the papers at a local supermarket, I find that The Sun - that fine bastion of truth, decency, honesty, fair play, rationality, common sense, patriotism, kindness etc., in fact all the virtues - (please, please don't quote me on that!) - has gone for squad spend per point as an indicator of achievement.

My problem with squad spend as an indicator is that it is all too often misleading, as it tells a half truth, which is sometimes worse than a downright lie.

Of course, if you compare ManU's squad spend with that of Burnley, let alone those of such as Fleetwood, Accrington etc.etc., you are going to get the correct impression that at this scale of difference, squad spend is all important.

Comparing however the squad spends of, say, the top 6 clubs in the EPL is a much more tricky business. Even more the squad spending of successive managers at the same club.

The problem with raw squad spend statistics is that they tell you nothing about the state/quality of the squad when the spend was done. Even looking at the cost of the squad taken over by a new manager won't necessarily clear the matter up. The previous manager might have been an incompetent who spent large sums on mediocre players - or he might have been an astute manager who picked up some real bargains.

But I don't suppose The Sun cares about that in a post-truth, alternative "facts" world.

GDeep™

League is very weak
But no title challenges, let alone title wins, so he failed.
Between 2006-2013 the target was to balance books and get top 4. Wenger has said his job was to deliver a profit every summer. He met those targets

Last 2/3 years he should've signed better players and challenged for the league, hasn't done it so fail.

notafan

Between 2006-2013 the target was to balance books and get top 4. Wenger has said his job was to deliver a profit every summer. He met those targets

Last 2/3 years he should've signed better players and challenged for the league, hasn't done it so fail.
That's the root of the problem isn't it. It's looking at Arsenal purely as a business. On those terms, of course Wenger has been a great success.

On one thing, "Wenger out" should agree with "Wenger knows best". Wenger leaving will not necessarily improve matters. In fact, things may get worse. Wenger has been a contributing factor to your recent years of futility, but he is not the ultimate cause. The real virus, the real poison, is Stan Kroenke, an owner who is not interested in "trophies", but only in the cash the sports clubs he owns can make for him.

mm76

Yer Da
That's the root of the problem isn't it. It's looking at Arsenal purely as a business. On those terms, of course Wenger has been a great success.

On one thing, "Wenger out" should agree with "Wenger knows best". Wenger leaving will not necessarily improve matters. In fact, things may get worse. Wenger has been a contributing factor to your recent years of futility, but he is not the ultimate cause. The real virus, the real poison, is Stan Kroenke, an owner who is not interested in "trophies", but only in the cash the sports clubs he owns can make for him.

Kroenke may not give the right priority to actaully winning anything in terms of how he views manager performance, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't appreciate it if it happened

his crime is not to pay more attention and realise the club is stagnating under Wenger - but it is nevertheless Wenger that's causing that stagnation

Toast

Established Member
on whether a top-four finish will make it more likely he’ll stay…
I don’t want to speak about my personal case any more.

on whether it’s relevant to his decision…
Not necessarily, no. Why? Why not? I just told you I don’t want to speak about it.

on saying he would announce his decision on his future in March or April…
And we are in May. That means I was wrong.

on whether he needs the stress anymore…
Yes, because I love the positive side of it. I love to win. I love to prepare for something that is big. The excitement is to prepare for something and to hope to do well.

on where he could manage if not at Arsenal…
I don’t know, it’s not at the moment. I’m focused on Manchester United.

on whether he could see himself managing France or PSG…
I am just focused on Arsenal and Manchester United. The next game is Arsenal, so that is the only interest I have at the moment.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Keep in mind that Chelsea squad cost includes ridiculous figures for some defenders etc. The costs are so skewed by over priced players.

You're right, completely laughable!

Atleast they are buying defenders

we have spent money on some shockers to

Cygan, Squillaci, Santos

heck I kinda liked him but Verms kinda flopped

We unnecessarily gave tons of games to Djorou and Senderos

He is VERY hit and miss with defender transfers

Kolo and Sol, Bellerin great signings

Sagna and Kos to but they cost what they were worth likewise Mert and Mustafi

Monreal meh, he is solid but not as solid as other players for that price

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
And now he is out pre hedging his bets for next season, making excuses before he fails to sign players

Oh he visited Mbappe's house who gives a fvck. wenger is like that douche who talks about all the chicks he could have fvcked and making it out to be his choice not that they actually turned him down.

Woulda coulda shoulda AW who gives a crap?

you clearly get that we need players go out and get them, if you can't get somebody else

scytheavatar

Established Member
People put too much stock into "a bad season means there is no way back". Doesn't apply to a manager who has delivered in 18/21 years.

Phenomenal record.

Wenger failed to deliver for 13 years..... just answer this question, since 2013/2014 have we actually improved? Gotten closer to winning the title? There was no way back the moment even Leicester was able to finish above us.........

scytheavatar

Established Member
He can't even keep our best players in the club...... if he was able to there was no reason why we couldn't have won the title at least a few times in that period.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He can't even keep our best players in the club...... if he was able to there was no reason why we couldn't have won the title at least a few times in that period.
Why couldn't he keep our best players at the club? Either they weren't happy battling for top 4 - RvP, Cesc, or we couldn't match wages - Nasri, or we had to sell to raise funds.

progman07

Established Member
on whether a top-four finish will make it more likely he’ll stay…
I don’t want to speak about my personal case any more.

on whether it’s relevant to his decision…
Not necessarily, no. Why? Why not? I just told you I don’t want to speak about it.

on saying he would announce his decision on his future in March or April…
And we are in May. That means I was wrong.

on whether he needs the stress anymore…
Yes, because I love the positive side of it. I love to win. I love to prepare for something that is big. The excitement is to prepare for something and to hope to do well.

on where he could manage if not at Arsenal…
I don’t know, it’s not at the moment. I’m focused on Manchester United.

on whether he could see himself managing France or PSG…
I am just focused on Arsenal and Manchester United. The next game is Arsenal, so that is the only interest I have at the moment.
Any reporter who puts 6 questions regarding the same topic every single press conference should be banned for life from this job really.

Like Wenger would ever announce his future to a reporter like that spontaneously.

Same goes for the transfer window questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom