• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Let's all laugh at Man Utd: Eriktile Dysfunction

mm76

Yer Da
I agree, I don't think he should be complaining, it reflects badly on the team morale.

But what I'm trying to stress here is that we've been in a situation where we're not allowing ourselves to rotate because we've been playing catch up. We were doing poor in the league, hence we had to take the Europa League seriously and this is leading to fatigue and injuries and at the same time we're trying to do our best in the league to keep that option of Top 4 open.

But I don't agree with this narrative of how it's covering for failings, so to speak, if we're actually progressing. We're doing well in the Europa League and won the League Cup and sort of resurrected our league campaign bar a few draws by going for everything with our best team.

genuinely interesting to see your take on it - so are you happy with Mourinho - was he your preference for manager after LVG?

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
One of the problems with Mourinho is he somewhat fails to rotate effectively and more leaning towards a consistent starting lineup. Forms a certain group of players and maximizes their output but then can't get the ones on the periphery to come in to play their part. This doesn't help with the youngsters or players that could work in a certain role. I think as well from the same place that some of the youngsters Man Utd loaned out or sold that were promoted by LVG should have been kept. Then again you have to understand them, appreciate them and believe in them.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

genuinely interesting to see your take on it - so are you happy with Mourinho - was he your preference for manager after LVG?

My preference post-Ferguson was Klopp and post-Van Gaal I wanted Pep Guardiola, I thought since we were going the possession route (for 2 seasons) that perhaps he would be the right man to pick things up and progress us. Pep is the type of manager that I wanted our young wingers/forwards (Martial/Rashford) to learn from because he usually does a great job with them.

I wasn't really warm to the idea of Mourinho, I think I've said earlier that you can never wholeheartedly trust a man that's capable of losing a dressing room. I never really saw him as a victim for that in Chelsea (despite the media saying otherwise) but it was a failure on his part to lose the confidence of your players. I was worried about the future of Rashford at the time who was having a tremendous end to the season in 15/16.

It's interesting because I always used to think Mourinho was great with big ego's but the truth is that he has more affection for those players that will give 100% for him and that's where Rashford has won a place in the team, over the likes of Depay, even praising his 'special mentality.' A Mourinho team full of players that trust him is a devastating team to face i.e. Inter Milan and I think if we can achieve that, maybe we'll get somewhere with him as manager but to get there we need a lot of things to going right for us such as good signings, improvement from current players and these players have to trust him and every tactical idea he has 100% like the Herrera on Hazard job against Chelsea. There have been some good signs with him as manager and certainly some bad signs but I think he deserves another season.

Last edited:

mm76

Yer Da
My preference post-Ferguson was Klopp and post-Van Gaal I wanted Pep Guardiola, I thought since we were going the possession route that perhaps he would be the right man to pick things up and progress us. Pep is the type of manager that I wanted our young wingers/forwards (Martial/Rashford) to learn from because he usually does a great job with them.

I wasn't really warm to the idea of Mourinho, I think I've said earlier that you can never wholeheartedly trust a man that's capable of losing a dressing room. I never really saw him as a victim for that in Chelsea (despite the media saying otherwise) but it was a failure on his part to lose the confidence of your players. I was worried about the future of Rashford at the time who was having a tremendous end to the season in 15/16.

It's interesting because I always used to think Mourinho was great with big ego's but the truth is that he has more affection for those players that will give 100% for him and that's where Rashford has won a place in the team, over the likes of Depay, even praising his 'special mentality.' A Mourinho team full of players that trust him is a devastating team to face i.e. Inter Milan and I think if we can achieve that, maybe we'll get somewhere with him as manager but to get there we need a lot of things to going right for us such as good signings, improvement from current players and these players have to trust him and every tactical idea he has 100% like the Herrera on Hazard job against Chelsea. There have been some good signs with him as manager and certainly some bad signs but I think he deserves another season.

thanks

i remembered that one thing i have against him is the treatment of the female physio at Chelsea which was pretty disgusting - i'd forgotten that until you started talking about his personnel relationships...

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan
I agree, I don't think he should be complaining, it reflects badly on the team morale.

But what I'm trying to stress here is that we've been in a situation where we're not allowing ourselves to rotate because we've been playing catch up. We were doing poor in the league, hence we had to take the Europa League seriously and this is leading to fatigue and injuries and at the same time we're trying to do our best in the league by playing our best players there as well to keep that door of Top 4 open.

But I don't agree with this narrative of how it's covering for failings, so to speak, if we're actually progressing. We're doing well in the Europa League and won the League Cup and sort of resurrected our league campaign (sort of by keeping Top 4 alive) by going for everything with our best team.

I agree with you where you say in another post by the way - that he does indeed deserve more time - said so myself too, those who say that he doesn't, well, that's pretty mad really. But then Guardiola has had a lot of stick too I think this season, again cos people point to the sheer amount of money that he's spent and people look at the CL exit and the league position and site lack of progress.

As for improvment, for sure from that poor league start you had meaning you played catch up so long, things have got better, but the home form has still been really bad. Despite being unbeaten, the amount of points dropped at home has been really amazing quite frankly! And that doesn't seem to be improving yet.

But also my concern would be if Mourinho was coaching my team, would be the short-termism of his work. If it doesn't work within a couple if years, then things can turn. He's not a 'project' manager, he's a manager that specilises in getting things done, and getting things done quick. It'll be interesting for sure how that works next season if he again fails to deliver in the league, which after all, is the number one priority for Utd, they aren't spending all that money to compete for the top 4 and in the Europa league.

I do defnately thing that he is very clever in how he manipulates the press and many United fans though ;)

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
If you could take one Utd player at Arsenal, who would it be?

Rashford.

Rooney.

Then we flog him to some club in the Chinese Super League for 300m and buy a new first XI.

reece.JPG

Sign me up Gazidis.

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, June 4

Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow could be acquired for little over €10m [The Athletic]

Other clubs believe Arsenal are in position to sign Benjamin Šeško [The Athletic]

Arsenal are not expected to pursue their interest in Bruno Guimaraes due to his £100m asking price [The Athletic]

Martin Zubimendi and Joao Neves are under consideration as potential signings in midfield [The Athletic]

Arsenal want £30m to sell Emile Smith Rowe, with several Premier League clubs interested [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Top Bottom