• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Virgil Van Dijk

blaise

This is a no starter, we can only buy some cheap option here and we have enough of those. What we need is WC class in attack instead of Giroud or at least someone with Welbecks movement and better finishing and a mobile midfielder and we should spend all our money on that. We have more than enough CBs. Van dijk wont bring us more points in Wengers system while attacker and midfielder could bring us 10-15 points at least. We can talk about CB next summer.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
I like him and he could potentially form a great partnership with either of Kos/Mustafi. However for the price he is going to cost we could sign Jonathan Tah from Leverkusen along with another player with the left overs. Tah has had a **** season as far as I know though but that could make his price cheaper.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
We can talk about CB next summer.

I'd say we should focuse on Striker and mdifielder this season (along with GK and LB which is cheap).

Next season if we didnt get a winger this year then that should be the priority along with a centre back as mert will be finished, gab will still be ok and kos will be getting even more injuries.

Saying that though I remember the season we signed Cech we clearly needed anything from a CB, CDM/CM, or attacker and signed none of them, giving us more work the next year where we still ****ed up

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Our entire transfer budget should be used for two positions

1. Elite CF/wide forward;
2. Top emerging CM

Individually, we have some very good players in our back 5 - they just need a better system and organisation.

GDeep™

League is very weak

2. Top emerging CM

Individually, we have some very good players in our back 5 - they just need a better system and organisation.
Wonder if we can pull off three signings - emerging CM, CF and Mahrez.

The CF is likely to be emerging too, considering lack of options.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Wonder if we can pull off three signings - emerging CM, CF and Mahrez.

The CF is likely to be emerging too, considering lack of options.

yeh thats what I'd like, if theres no top strikers available to sign, get a good winger because we need one just as much, while giving a shot to a young striker .
ideally: keita,schick,mahrez/whoever else is available

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible

2. Top emerging CM

Couldn't agree more. We can bring in Szczesny, Chambers and Kolasinac to reinforce the back and then spend all our money on getting world class talent in central midfield and up front.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Also want us to be a selling club this season. No more of this bollocks from the club at how "we aren't a selling club" anymore. Every club should be a selling club RE: under performers/those who are deemed not good enough.

Want to see a statement. Heads need to roll.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Also want us to be a selling club this season. No more of this bollocks from the club at how "we aren't a selling club" anymore. Every club should be a selling club RE: under performers/those who are deemed not good enough.

Want to see a statement. Heads need to roll.
thats whats the most important imo, because our wage bill is insane and we have so many players, its vital to get rid of some of the million wingers and midfielders we have, as well as players like debuchy,sanogo,campbell which we forgot about. we probably have the most over 20 y/o players in the league

Malky

Established Member
We're not signing Van Dijk.
£50M+ for a defender when we're crying out for a CM and a CF. Then we've got the problem of a Sanchez replacement.
We're not City/United or Chelsea, we don't have the funds for all that.

Impact

Established Member
Think we could use a CM but I don't think we're crying out for one. Our problems in midfield are more about our structure than personnel for me.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Defense is last of our worries we got solid defense if we bring back Secezney chambers and get Kolasniac we will be more even solid. Quality midfielder quality right Winger and striker who can score 20+ goals a season needed. Being in Europa league not help to get quality players but we should try to get very decent players at least

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Agreed. Although would not mind Van Dijk as I loved him this season and consider him one of the best defenders around, I think our defense looked **** most of the times against big teams because of our lack of steel in midfield yet again.

What really sets us apart from the big guys right now is our midfield, a better midfield instantly improves all other areas.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

2. Top emerging CM

It depends on how Wenger wants to play. Essentially it's his lack of a definitive system that makes his signings redundant in whatever formation they play due to personnel.

Are we going to cross the ball? If not. Why do we need a wide forward? Someone like Mahrez would play on the right as an inverted playmaker at the expense of Özil. Yet can't Wilshere also play a similar role.

The problem area of the team is the centre forward position and the central midfield. You fix those two and the rest falls into place. However the problem with Wenger is that he does not know how to construct a midfield and he hasn't known since Fabregas left. Every solution has had flaws and has been stumbled upon.

Wilshere10

I think the defence is still a massive problem area, by the time the season is up we will likely have conceded near 50 goals. We have numbers in CB but we are lacking in starting quality.

Holding and Chambers are not ready yet, Per is past it, and Gabriel and Mustafi haven't convinced me at all. I know we have structural issues that don't help, but I've still seen Mustafi make way too many individual errors.

Would love us to sign a physical CB like van Dijk, we badly need a commanding presence back there.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Agreed. Although would not mind Van Dijk as I loved him this season and consider him one of the best defenders around, I think our defense looked **** most of the times against big teams because of our lack of steel in midfield yet again.

What really sets us apart from the big guys right now is our midfield, a better midfield instantly improves all other areas.

I thought this was particularly obvious against Chelsea and Bayern Munich. Our midfield provides no defensive coverage whatsoever, our defenders always seem to be outnumbered. If you allow your opponent to run at your back line you're going to concede tons of goals regardless of defensive personnel.

Hell, even in the cup against Man City we gave old man Yaya free rein to waltz through midfield time and time again. Very frustrating to watch.

ARSNLNO1

Think we could use a CM but I don't think we're crying out for one. Our problems in midfield are more about our structure than personnel for me.

Agreed, while I would love to see a top CM brought in i agree, when we switched to a midfield 3 every player in that position looked better.

Hinderz

Virgil van Dijk: Southampton directors 'want to keep' captain

Southampton boss Claude Puel says the club do not want to sell captain Virgil van Dijk.

The 25-year-old, who suffered an ankle injury in January which ruled him out for the remainder of the season, has been linked with a move away from St Mary's.

Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal and Liverpool have all been reported to be interested in the Dutch international.

But Puel said: "He has a long contract and the directors want to keep him.

"He has authority, the leadership of the team, he is a fantastic player.

"It's important for us, of course, to wait until the beginning of the season to see him on the pitch with Southampton."

Van Dijk joined the Saints from Celtic for £13m in 2013 and has made 55 appearances, scoring four times.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39848345

say yes

forum master baiter
Transfer would make absolutely no sense even if we were moving to three at the back permanently (we're not under Wenger).

We have 6 CBs at the club which include our club captain and a recent £35m signing.

Top Bottom