• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kylian Mbappé

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I think this point is being overblown. Almost every player grew up dreaming of playing for a club other than their own. These transfers seldom happen because a player has a deep love for the club going in. This is a business. It's their profession. They're not fans. The love players have for their club is something they develop during their time there. And in 2017, what 18-year-old footballer doesn't dream of playing for Real Madrid or Barcelona?

If Mbappe comes to Arsenal, even with the mindset that someday he wants to play for one of the big Spanish clubs, what makes you think he wouldn't love playing for Arsenal and want to stick around? It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. I mean, you don't think Özil, Alexis or Cech came to Arsenal because they already loved the club coming in, do you?
I'm not asking players to be big fans of the club, but I do want them to fight for the badge and want to be here. My point was that if he views us as a stepping stone, and only a stepping stone, then I'm that takes a lot away from it for me. There needs to be something more.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
I don't know, man. Kroos and Modric is the best midfield in the world, Marcelo's the best LB for me, and it's not like Varane, Ramos, and Carvajal are slackers

I would actually state the opposite as well. Best defense and midfield took them to honours this time - attacking players are replaceable.
Monster of a season of both, midfield and defense with special note on the imperative Marcelo

GoonerHart

It puts a sour taste in my mouth he might come here just to use us, with only Real in mind. I don't want him if he'll have little love for the club.

I know he's a top talent and being a stepping stone is the only way for him to come, but still, we must have some dignity and pride. Just my two cents.

Dunno i think it's worth the risk of being a stepping stone due to:

1) he'll need to perform great long term to get a move at a price we'd sell at and that would be a ridiculous level that hopefully comes with trophies and prestige to get another great striker

2) he could come to love it and stay. Imagine we get Mbappe have a great season bring in Griezmann or Dembele etc next season and build a great team that will want to stay together.

Although I would be wary of fully getting attached which will be sad considering his stature

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Thought this guy was a big Madrid fan? Why would he want to go to Barca anyway?

So stupid if every talent just aims for those two clubs. Players with real ambition should be aiming to help other clubs surpass them, that's an actual challenge. Don't just become another faceless Badrid player like Ronwhoever or Messdoesn'tmatter.

Boring.

They need to take inspiration from Giroud who's an Arsenal icon. No one will remember that Portuguese guy or that Columbian (possibly Paraguayan???) midget who wears the number 10 for Barcelona.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Casemiro is their Coquelin IMO.
When the team is playing very well he can be useful but I don't really rate him that much.

It was the same with Coquelinho, when our team was performing well he had some really good game protecting our back 4.
Casemiro is the difference between almost good enough Real and two CL's in a row. The voodoo of making fouls and getting away with it, he has an excellent long pass in him and has contributed his few goals on crucial moments. Mentioning coq in the same breath is insulting imo.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Did players use to be like this? I don't remember the 2000s era pining for Barca/Madrid as much as you see now.

I'll take him either way. Although I'm 100% sure that by the time we come to sell the market will have settled. :lol:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I'm not asking players to be big fans of the club, but I do want them to fight for the badge and want to be here. My point was that if he views us as a stepping stone, and only a stepping stone, then I'm that takes a lot away from it for me. There needs to be something more.

Well, as long as he helps Arsenal to win things and becomes a great player, I'm not really bothered by what he thinks. Fight for the badge? I'd rather he just give everything to be the best. If Arsenal wins the league and challenges for the Champions League while he's here (if he is), then he can go to Spain if that's what he wants. But since I'm pretty sure there isn't a portal into the mind of Kylian Mbappe behind my filing cabinet, I don't know what he thinks. So I won't worry too much about what a family member says about his dreams for the future. Dreams can change. Just get him here.

GoonerHart

Did players use to be like this? I don't remember the 2000s era pining for Barca/Madrid as much as you see now.

I'll take him either way. Although I'm 100% sure that by the time we come to sell the market will have settled. :lol:
Bought for £120m sold for £16m

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
The reason we want to sign Mbappe is to use him in one way or another for our own interests first and foremost. You are lying or deluded if you think otherwise. If he flops or gets a career ending injury we'd want to get rid. Its the same with any other player, same with any club and same for the fans. All this "using" is what the point of it is in the first place.

Football is vulgar and reality rather than fantasy. Deal with it.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Who the **** cares what we would sell him for if we got him. Win us the title and he can go to his beloved Madrid on a free for all I care.

Two things fans worry about since Wenger arrived; sell on fee and players being 30 or nearly 30 being completely incapable of playing.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah, I mean then they've just got Navas, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo, Carvajal, Modric, Kroos, Asensio, Benzema, Isco... nothing special.

This lad is the future of Spanish football. Your list didn't even include Casemeiro, James, Morata. Not clear what the chap claiming they're not all that without Ronaldo or Bale is smoking.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Bale isn't even their 3rd best player.
Modric, Kroos, marcelo, Ramos are far more important players in their team.

Don't kill me for this guys but to be honest those mentioned above have also been way better than Ronaldo IMO. Think his season was mediocre for his level and was complete outperformed by Messi except the goals in the semifinals and final to be fair but then again he got it easy because 5 have been basically tap ins with biggest credit to Marcelo and co and 2-3 came from an offside position.

But we already have seen that within the last years that referees go in their favor.
This season was the first time I actually think they deservd to win it

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
The only top side with a worse defense than Madrid is Man city. Ramos and Marcelo basically are overrated and just as error prone versions of Vermalen and Maicon. Pepe has been past it for a few years (apart from a very good Euros performance) and Varane has massively failed to live up to potential he had shown a few years ago. Carvajal is one of best full backs in the world though.

Modric & Kroos are pure class.
Asensio is real talent and will bench the massive flop Bale if Bale hasn't been sold. Isco has really gone up a level this season and has had a great season. Whilst James Rodriguez is a top a quality player being under used by Madrid that will likely be moved on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

First I went left, he did too. Then I went right and he did too. Then I went left again and he went to buy a hot dog.

Arsene Wenger on dribbling Zinedine Zidane in a charity game

Latest posts

Top Bottom