• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger's Transfer Targets: Summer 2017

Will we make another signing(s) this summer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze_of_glory

There were. But even if that was the case, once the whole deal seemed dead in the water he would have resigned himself to staying at Monaco for this year. Then having it sprung on him again at the very last minute just hours before a World Cup qualifier, it might have been hard for him to say yes without giving it more thought. Hopefully Arsenal can get him next summer.
Yeah this is more or less what I think as well. All of a sudden being told, "oh they are back in with a bid we are willing to let you go for, but you have to decide in the next 3min" after having it in his head for weeks he was staying put. Easy to see why he would just say no at that point.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Yeah this is more or less what I think as well. All of a sudden being told, "oh they are back in with a bid we are willing to let you go for, but you have to decide in the next 3min" after having it in his head for weeks he was staying put. Easy to see why he would just say no at that point.

It has also been rumored that Giroud, Kos and Laca went to his room to try to convince him while in camp and he was not interested.
I am pretty sure Wenger has Lemar's contact and could have easily asked him before placing a bid. Clubs usually confirm with a player first before even bidding. That may have gone down that way.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
It seems the only leverage Wenger had, his pulling power in convincing players to join because of him, is gone.

Not sure he can turn it around now. Even with all the anger channeled at him he still deserves a respectful end to his reign. Not sure it will happen.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Not sure he can turn it around now. Even with all the anger channeled at him he still deserves a respectful end to his reign. Not sure it will happen.

I was thinking this morning as I tallied up the salary space that will be freed up next summer that it kind of appears that this 2-year contract is meant to be a transition period so that Wenger can leave the club in good shape for his successor. With the salary room and what should be plenty of money for transfer fees. he can bring in 4 or 5 good young players next summer (hopefully Lemar among them). Then with Walcott, Giroud, Ramsey and the goalkeepers running down their contracts in 2019 (if they're not moved next summer, and you can toss Debuchy in there too), the new manager should have a lot of freedom to structure the team in his own image.

If they play this right, they can give the new guy a much better chance of success than United did Moyes and might avoid the sort of overpaying they did to get back to contending. And I would imagine they'll have a shortlist of managerial candidates to target in mind by next summer (or at least they should).

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Cross: Sanchez and his agent Fernando Felicevich made a pact that if a deal did not happen, he would stay for the final year and be fully committed even if he is set to leave the club on a free transfer next summer.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I was thinking this morning as I tallied up the salary space that will be freed up next summer that it kind of appears that this 2-year contract is meant to be a transition period so that Wenger can leave the club in good shape for his successor. With the salary room and what should be plenty of money for transfer fees. he can bring in 4 or 5 good young players next summer (hopefully Lemar among them). Then with Walcott, Giroud, Ramsey and the goalkeepers running down their contracts in 2019 (if they're not moved next summer, and you can toss Debuchy in there too), the new manager should have a lot of freedom to structure the team in his own image.

If they play this right, they can give the new guy a much better chance of success than United did Moyes and might avoid the sort of overpaying they did to get back to contending. And I would imagine they'll have a shortlist of managerial candidates to target in mind by next summer (or at least they should).

While I don't believe he signed on just to enable smoother transition, I do think during pre-season certain things happen that contributed to current affairs which maybe forced him to act more in the direction of planing for the future after he's gone.

We'll see how it pans out during the season. How his team selection will look, maybe he'll give it a go at Europa League on the expanse of the league etc.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
While I don't believe he signed on just to enable smoother transition, I do think during pre-season certain things happen that contributed to current affairs which maybe forced him to act more in the direction of planing for the future after he's gone.

We'll see how it pans out during the season. How his team selection will look, maybe he'll give it a go at Europa League on the expanse of the league etc.

I don't think that was the only reason he stayed. He wants to win something more than the FA Cup. But he's spoken before about wanting to leave the club in good shape for his successor, so I think that's part of it as well. And while I still consider it a pretty good transfer window (Lacazette/Kolasinac in; Sanchez/Özil staying; unbelievably good fee for Ox), I think the difficulty Arsenal had in moving the players they had to clear out to do everything Wenger would have liked to do this year tied his hands. (This, of course, goes back to bad decisions in the past in terms of signing some of these guys to such big contracts.)

I think Wenger truly believed he could do enough this summer to make Arsenal a real title contender this year. It's something he wants to do before he's gone. Now I think he's adjusted his thinking to just getting back in the top 4 (not that he's completely given up on contending, but things would have to go very right in terms of form and lack of injuries). So I think he probably does have more of an eye on the Europa League. But I don't think he'll sacrifice league position for it. At least not early on. He'll do enough to get through the group, then play the bigger players more as it progresses toward the end. Should be interesting anyway.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

And why wasn't this done after a high of a FA cup win?

New manager who can either convince or sell Özil and Sanchez, Ox

Ramsey et al get a year to convince the coach if he wants them or not
(as I said before Ramsey under a coach that structures up the team is a great player)

the scenario now is making a new coach having to start from way way further back

nothing to pull in new players to, losing all our great players while being stuck with the dross

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
It seems the only leverage Wenger had, his pulling power in convincing players to join because of him, is gone.

Have we ever really attracted the most demanded young players post breakthrough season?

In Wengers early years was always those either completely unknown or that had not quite lived up to expectations at their first big club. Then moved on to overpaying for the second tier hyped up HG prospects.

The Ronaldos, Robinhos, Neymars, Varanes, Rooneys etc just rumored interest in, failed bids, seen the training ground etc. Reyes the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom