• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger's Transfer Targets: Summer 2017

Will we make another signing(s) this summer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
. And while I still consider it a pretty good transfer window

I appriciate your name but your sentiments making me Marvin dude

you are more of a Zaphod because you are insane

firstly selling our HG keeper for peanuts

then not getting rid of a whole host of underperformers, not even bringing in a new batch of youngsters?

on top of that we have massive gaping whole in the squad at defense, midfield and heck I could take an attacker to (winger/striker)

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan

then not getting rid of a whole host of underperformers, not even bringing in a new batch of youngsters?

on top of that we have massive gaping whole in the squad at defense, midfield and heck I could take an attacker to (winger/striker)
Don't forget Wenger wanted to let go of Giroud. Thank heavens he decided to stick around.

BBF

Cross is such a fraud it's unreal. He doesn't know anything until it actually happens, and then makes a load of **** up with genuine journalists information.

I know from being a journo myself that the only reason he gets kit deals and a few other stuff right is because he gets press releases from the club that want him to build hype.

blaze_of_glory

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Not sure about that, but there have been reports that we did offer them 50m earlier and they said no. From that same Guardian article you posted earlier:

Arsenal made three bids for Lemar earlier in the summer – the biggest being worth €50m. But even the €100m offer did not end with it getting the job done.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/31/alexis-sanchez-manchester-city-arsenal-improved-bid

During the window the largest reported was 40 million that I can recall.
Rumoured at the time Monaco wanted 50 Million and 5 mil in add-ons.

Either way, we bid near 92 Mil for a player in the last 5 hours of the window without a clue that he would reject us. No way to slice it to make it better . No way whatsoever.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Have we ever really attracted the most demanded young players post breakthrough season?

In Wengers early years was always those either completely unknown or that had not quite lived up to expectations at their first big club. Then moved on to overpaying for the second tier hyped up HG prospects.

The Ronaldos, Robinhos, Neymars, Varanes, Rooneys etc just rumored interest in, failed bids, seen the training ground etc. Reyes the exception.

There were some for sure. Reyes as you mentioned and Nasri spring to mind.

Don't forget Alexis and Özil are here because of him as well.

blaze_of_glory

Either way, we bid near 92 Mil for a player in the last 5 hours of the window without a clue that he would reject us. No way to slice it to make it better . No way whatsoever.
That is pure speculation on your part tbf. But we have heard the club had been in contact previously and the player had indicated he wanted to come. The last minute dealings after it seemed dead for weeks put him in a bad position. Reports have said it was Monaco who changed their position at the death as well, not us. Said he was definitely not for sale, then, actually yes you can have him for 92m, which we promptly offered up.

I'm not even trying or wanting to defend the club here, they could have done a lot better and gone after another player weeks ago (I doubt Lemar is worth 92m anyway, stupid amount to pay for any player imo, just scout better and find someone cheaper).

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
And why wasn't this done after a high of a FA cup win?

New manager who can either convince or sell Özil and Sanchez, Ox

Ramsey et al get a year to convince the coach if he wants them or not
(as I said before Ramsey under a coach that structures up the team is a great player)

the scenario now is making a new coach having to start from way way further back

nothing to pull in new players to, losing all our great players while being stuck with the dross

The high of an FA Cup win was immaterial. It didn't change the contract situations. As I've said repeatedly, Arsenal had tied their own hands by signing the players they wanted to move on to such lucrative contracts that other clubs simply wouldn't take them on. They tried all summer and still couldn't get rid of all of them.

Had they replaced Wenger after the FA Cup, the new manager would have been faced with the very same problems. He couldn't have sold off those guys any more easily and would not have had the wiggle room to bring in top quality players. In fact, it's likely a new manager couldn't have pulled in Kolasinac and Lacazette.

By clearing out those contracts over the two years before a new manager comes in, the new guy will be better positioned both financially and in terms of roster flexibility to build the squad he wants.

JHusMan

Sitting here right now I would've preferred to have started the rebuild this summer and got Lemar in and Alexis out. Lemar would've been the long term project.

In terms of this season though it's better to keep Alexis and get back into the CL. Hopefully he can kick us back into that. We've played two away games so far which we usually lose later on in a season and not in consecutive games.

While morale is low this international break couldn't have come soon enough, trying to put a semi positive spin on events but we need CL football to attract players like Lemar.

The club are clearly keeping funds to replace 3 players who are going to leave on a free next summer (Özil, Alexis and Mertesacker) if we replace them with Lemar, Mahrez and Van Dijk whilst getting CL football this season I'll say overall it's been a good two years.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

I just covered most of this in the previous response. I won't go into detail again, but you can't just snap your fingers and get rid of players whose wages are too high for the clubs where they belong to pay them.

Those players needed to go before Arsenal had any space to take on new salaries without running afoul of Premier League wage increase limits. They could easily have paid the transfer fees for a new center back, a new central midfielder and another attacker, but they couldn't fit all of them into the wage structure.

As for Szczęsny, he was error-prone during his time at Arsenal, hadn't played at the club in more than two years and wanted to return to Italy rather than playing behind Cech. Criticizing them for not making him stay is silly.

Edit: Oh, and you're already Marvin. Always have been since I've been here. Constantly depressed and negative about the club.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

We need to consolidate this season i swear they better get their sh1t together next summer or im done, il just look at the results and thats it!!

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners

because he was on international duty, and is only 21, it's possible he didn't have time to consult with the people closest to him

whatever, it's in the past, and only with the benefit of hindsight will we know how important it was that the deal did, or didn't, go through

JHusMan

We need to consolidate this season i swear they better get their sh1t together next summer or im done, il just look at the results and thats it!!

This, next summer has got to be huge. I guess if the club are planning to go huge next summer it won't be documented in the press and they will say we have no money to stop prices just rocketing.

Next summer we need a GK, CB (possibly 2), CM, two forwards

JHusMan

Don't worry, next summer Wenger will be looking to spend big to go out on a high.

Like last summer.

Going by what's happened in the past 4 windows next summer *should* be a big one.

Alexis window spend huge
Cech window slit wrists
Xhaka window spend big
This window slit wrists
Next window...

Reactions: A_G

JHusMan

Akpom, Chuba*
Bellerin, Hector*
Cech, Petr
Chambers, Calum*
Coquelin, Francis*
Debuchy, Mathieu
Elneny, Mohamed Naser Elsayed
Giroud, Olivier
Holding, Robert Samuel*
Iliev, Deyan
Kolasinac, Sead
Koscielny, Laurent
Lacazette, Alexandre
Macey, Matthew Ryan Yes
Mertesacker, Per
Monreal, Ignacio
Mustafi, Shkodran
Ospina, David
Özil, Mesut
Ramsey, Aaron James*
Sanchez, Alexis
Walcott, Theo James*
Welbeck, Daniel*
Wilshere, Jack Andrew*
Xhaka, Granit

Four goalkeepers in our 25 man squad... illiev instead of cazorla that just makes it even more shocking that we didn't sign a midfielder ffs.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Cross is such a fraud it's unreal. He doesn't know anything until it actually happens, and then makes a load of **** up with genuine journalists information.

I know from being a journo myself that the only reason he gets kit deals and a few other stuff right is because he gets press releases from the club that want him to build hype.

He is living the dream tbf, absolute ridiculous luck. In any other life he'd be a community support officer or a traffic warden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom