• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Hinderz

As well as Kolasinac appears to be working out, I'd get busy in January signing 2018 Bosmans. These guys are pending to be available:

Leon Goretzka, CM, Schalke
Max Meyer, AM, Schalke
Jose Gimenez, CB, Atletico Madrid
Kepa Arrizabalaga, GK, Athletic Bilbao

And, of course, Messi could be available. :D (Hey, if you believe reports out of Spain, he sounded out Arsenal before signing his last contract.)
1626668_Arsenal.jpg

giphy.gif

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

Let's examine this point by point:

If Alexis leaves, so what? Just as long as he helps Arsenal get back into the top four, I don't care. His £140k per week salary can go to Lemar or somebody else. No big deal.

Özil doesn't really seem like he wants to leave and may sign an extension, but if he doesn't, so what? As long as he helps Arsenal get back into the top four, no big deal. His £140k per week salary can go to somebody else. I'll miss him, but nobody is irreplaceable.

Cazorla has barely played in the past two seasons, so saying he will have to be replaced is a stretch. He'll be 33 when his contract runs out and in questionable health. I love the guy, but his £90k per week salary will be cleared for the wages of a younger, healthier player. This is the most forceful "no big deal" of all.

There's no evidence that Mustafi will want to leave at all, much less "almost certainly." All we have are media reports from very questionable sources regarding his alleged desire to leave before the transfer window. It all sounded pretty dubious to me at the time. Both Wenger and Gazidis have said Mustafi never asked to leave. And Mustafi seems pretty happy. That said, if the person who compiled this list thinks the position needs upgrading, then it should be no big deal if Mustafi were to leave anyway. But I don't think he will (and I think he'll have a fine season).

Bellerin said not to believe everything you read. Barcelona already bought their right back for the next several years in Nelson Semedo. Nothing to see here. Move on.

Whoever compiled this list doesn't pay attention. Ramsey clarified that "shambles" is a nickname for Oxlade-Chamberlain (a pretty good one at that). It was not a comment about the club or the manager. Even if he plays out his contract, Ramsey would be 29 and most of you would want to get rid of him anyway (a lot of you do already). But there's nothing to indicate he wouldn't be interested in extending, nor has he expressed any unhappiness. Again, nothing to see here. Move along.

Mertesacker rarely plays, so he won't need replacing once he retires. Chambers, Holding and Bielek, among others, are already under contract. Arsenal may very well buy a center back next year, but it won't be because they need to replace Mertesacker. And just what sort of fee does the author think Arsenal would have gotten out of the BFG this summer?

Everybody in the world who survives another 12 months will be 12 months older. And how would anyone know that Koscielny will be "more frail?" Does the author of this list have access to some future version of Koscielny's medical records?

While Arsenal does need to look toward the future in the goalkeeping department, they don't need to dump Cech just because he'll be 36. Lots of the great goalkeepers in Cech's class have been highly effective in their late 30s and even into their 40s. David Seaman kept a clean sheet in the 2003 FA Cup final at the age of 39 and Arsenal won the double when he was 38. Cech isn't ready for the nursing home just yet.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
How realistic is Christian Pulisic do we think?

He's only just turned 19, I think if we were to knuckle down and really give everything for him to replace Alexis in January or next summer it might be *just* about possible, but it's a very short window of time. He's already making waves and will only get better, he's going to be a global star and a very commercially lucrative one at that.

In both footballing and business terms, he's probably the one player that could truly put us back in the elite bracket. If we have any sense about us we'd be stealing a march on this guy!

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
I would love to get Pulisic; I even think Stan would be willing to spend the money on him given the American ties. More importantly, Pulisic has serious marketing potential in the US, which is a continually growing market for football.

If I was on Wenger and the Arsenal board, I'd go for Lemar and Pulisic for the future. They would fit well with Nelson.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Rumours that we are in interested in Christopher Rocchia (Dortmund too). We surely need a LWB and RWB Back-Up as soon as possible. Shaw (don't know if he will play a role under Mourinho, contract until summer 2018 atm), Sessegnon or Rocchia would be nice. Bramall never will be good enough and Maitland-Niles isn't a LWB.

The same for the right side.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Rumours that we are in interested in Christopher Rocchia (Dortmund too). We surely need a LWB and RWB Back-Up as soon as possible. Shaw (don't know if he will play a role under Mourinho, contract until summer 2018 atm), Sessegnon or Rocchia would be nice. Bramall never will be good enough and Maitland-Niles isn't a LWB.

The same for the right side.

I think Maitland-Niles could do a job at RWB. I don't think he's performed THAT bad at LWB as some have come to believe. Although he's more a CM right now, his experience on the right wing and the required positioning of the RWB, as well as Maitland-Niles' general physique, makes him fit the RWB role more to me. In all honesty, I'm more worried about the back up to Kolasinac right now. Somebody like Sessegnon is a big need.

On a side note, if it's true that Neymar wants PSG to get rid of Cavani, then we should be all over that in January. Get rid of Walcott and Giroud and bring in Cavani and Lemar. Too much of a dream, though.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I would love to get Pulisic; I even think Stan would be willing to spend the money on him given the American ties. More importantly, Pulisic has serious marketing potential in the US, which is a continually growing market for football.

If I was on Wenger and the Arsenal board, I'd go for Lemar and Pulisic for the future. They would fit well with Nelson.

Precisely. The problem with buying South American and even European players is that their dream is ultimately Madrid/Barca, Coutinho being a case in point. Pulisic, however, is less likely to have those aspirations. If we can get him to the Emirates i'm sure he'd be happy in the capital city of an English-speaking country and playing in the league he watched as a kid.

Plus, his commercial potential really can't be underestimated. He's America's first genuine star. If he continues to carry them like he's doing now, we'll have 300 million potential fans and a lot of revenue coming our way.

Football-wise it also makes perfect sense. He's certainly good enough to replace Alexis' star quality in the team. Pulisic, Iwobi and Nelson would be a class selection of attacking mids. Lemar wouldn't be half bad either!

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
I think Maitland-Niles could do a job at RWB. I don't think he's performed THAT bad at LWB as some have come to believe. Although he's more a CM right now, his experience on the right wing and the required positioning of the RWB, as well as Maitland-Niles' general physique, makes him fit the RWB role more to me. In all honesty, I'm more worried about the back up to Kolasinac right now. Somebody like Sessegnon is a big need.

On a side note, if it's true that Neymar wants PSG to get rid of Cavani, then we should be all over that in January. Get rid of Walcott and Giroud and bring in Cavani and Lemar. Too much of a dream, though.

It would be very nice if Maitland Niles could fill the Back-Up position for Bellerin. He is "already" 20 and we still don't know if he is better in CM or at RWB. He is still making very easy errors and in the PL his pace will not be enough. That's why it is good to have Europe League and Carabao Cup. Play him RWB and we will see. In winter we will need a Back-Up for the left side, there are some options.

Don't think we need Cavani. He is still missing many chances and in the Premier League he won't get so many chances like in Ligue 1. We' ve already bought our striker, we need players like Lemar for Sanchez (maybe Özil).

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
How realistic is Christian Pulisic do we think?

He's only just turned 19, I think if we were to knuckle down and really give everything for him to replace Alexis in January or next summer it might be *just* about possible, but it's a very short window of time. He's already making waves and will only get better, he's going to be a global star and a very commercially lucrative one at that.

In both footballing and business terms, he's probably the one player that could truly put us back in the elite bracket. If we have any sense about us we'd be stealing a march on this guy!

I doubt there's much chance of him moving to Arsenal or anywhere else for a couple of years. He just signed a new contract early this year through 2020. And when asked about a month ago about rumors he was wanted by Liverpool, he quickly stamped them down, saying he was happy at Dortmund, that it was the right club for his development and that he had no interest in leaving.

Things can change, of course. But at this point it wouldn't seem very likely.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I doubt there's much chance of him moving to Arsenal or anywhere else for a couple of years. He just signed a new contract early this year through 2020. And when asked about a month ago about rumors he was wanted by Liverpool, he quickly stamped them down, saying he was happy at Dortmund, that it was the right club for his development and that he had no interest in leaving.

Things can change, of course. But at this point it wouldn't seem very likely.

If we don't make a play for him next summer we'll have lost our window. We lost our window with Mbappe before we even knew it. Pretty soon it'll be the same with Pulisic.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
What do we think a post-Alexis/Özil Arsenal could look like?

I've always seen Iwobi as Özil's successor, but he does still have a lot of progress to make. Nevertheless, his main strength is knitting attacking phases together and this is Özil's strength too.

Alexis is more of a star player with end product. Lemar would be a great replacement and it seems like this is Wenger's plan, but they're not very similar in style. Lemar is more of a provider, though he could grow to be more than that.

As i've said I'd love Pulisic to replace Alexis. He has all the end product but is also more of a team player. Purely in terms of style, someone like Malcom would be ideal. He shares Alexis' stocky build, pugnaciousness and flair. He plays on the right though, and this is hopefully Nelson's position down the line.

Let's enjoy them while we can, but it's certainly not too soon to be thinking seriously about how to replace them. Thoughts?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Walcott -> Lemar / Pulisic
Coquelin -> Cyprien / Aránguiz / Darida / or similar
Elneny -> Cyprien /Fornals / or similar
Ospina -> Horn/ Lafont/ Leno/ Perin

+ van Dijk or any other CB on his level
+ a RB backup

could be a squad like this:

Lacazette, Giroud, *Welbeck
Alexis, Özil, Pulisic/Lemar, *Welbeck, Iwobi, Nelson
Ramsey, Xhaka, Wilshere, Cazorla, Cyprien, Aránguiz
Kolasinac, Bellerin, *Monreal, RB
Koscielny, Mustafi, van Dijk, *Monreal, Holding, Chambers
Cech, Lafont, Martínez

Godwin1

Very well-known
Precisely. The problem with buying South American and even European players is that their dream is ultimately Madrid/Barca, Coutinho being a case in point. Pulisic, however, is less likely to have those aspirations. If we can get him to the Emirates i'm sure he'd be happy in the capital city of an English-speaking country and playing in the league he watched as a kid.

Plus, his commercial potential really can't be underestimated. He's America's first genuine star. If he continues to carry them like he's doing now, we'll have 300 million potential fans and a lot of revenue coming our way.

Football-wise it also makes perfect sense. He's certainly good enough to replace Alexis' star quality in the team. Pulisic, Iwobi and Nelson would be a class selection of attacking mids. Lemar wouldn't be half bad either!
We're already too late on Pulisic unfortunately. Just over a year ago when he was touted as a massive talent would have been a better chance to go for him, it is what it is though.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom