• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Atmosphere at Emirates

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Think its worth bringing this thread up again. Robbie from AFTV having a go at the atmosphere and i think its totally justified.

As Robbie says: If clubs like PSG can, why can't Arsenal?

I'm from Denmark, so i'm not there week in week out, but when i get a chance to see an Arsenal game i'm surprised its so quiet. No organized fan-sections with people facilitating singing, drums etc.
Is it simply not english culture or what?

I think its a pity we don't do it, cause its certainly something that helps the team and affects the opponent.

I think the atmosphere in these sorts of games is bad at most of the top clubs' stadiums in England. The Chelsea game this weekend at the Bridge, you could hear a silent hush for swathes of the game even though it was a match against a title rival. Anfield atmosphere is another massive hype job, perpetuated by playing YNWA at every kickoff. The Emirates is fantastic on derby days or matches against United/City/Liverpool just like any other club.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Think its worth bringing this thread up again. Robbie from AFTV having a go at the atmosphere and i think its totally justified.

As Robbie says: If clubs like PSG can, why can't Arsenal?

I'm from Denmark, so i'm not there week in week out, but when i get a chance to see an Arsenal game i'm surprised its so quiet. No organized fan-sections with people facilitating singing, drums etc.
Is it simply not english culture or what?

I think its a pity we don't do it, cause its certainly something that helps the team and affects the opponent.

It's just the fanbase , watched a lot of PSG as a youngster living in a French speaking country in the 90's their support has always been massive and boisterous especially when Rai and Weah were there . People don't realise they were quite a big club before Qatar turned up .

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I think the atmosphere in these sorts of games is bad at most of the top clubs' stadiums in England. The Chelsea game this weekend at the Bridge, you could hear a silent hush for swathes of the game even though it was a match against a title rival. Anfield atmosphere is another massive hype job, perpetuated by playing YNWA at every kickoff. The Emirates is fantastic on derby days or matches against United/City/Liverpool just like any other club.
Never been to any grounds so I can;t really comment from personal experience but many past players including the likes of Henry have commented on Anfield being the best atmosphere... Is that down to hype too?

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Never been to any grounds so I can;t really comment from personal experience but many past players including the likes of Henry have commented on Anfield being the best atmosphere... Is that down to hype too?
My point is Anfield is the same as any ground of the top 4 or top 6 club. Anfield has a great atmosphere in the big games, as does most other clubs. But when they're playing the likes of Burnley or Huddersfield or Sunderland you won't hear rapturous chants for 90 minutes. Henry was speaking from his experience as an Arsenal player. A Liverpool-Arsenal clash is bound to create a decent atmosphere.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

My point is Anfield is the same as any ground of the top 4 or top 6 club. Anfield has a great atmosphere in the big games, as does most other clubs. But when they're playing the likes of Burnley or Huddersfield or Sunderland you won't hear rapturous chants for 90 minutes. Henry was speaking from his experience as an Arsenal player. A Liverpool-Arsenal clash is bound to create a decent atmosphere.

Klopp's commented about how flat the atmosphere at Anfield in his first couple of months there.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Makes sense.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Klopp's commented about how flat the atmosphere at Anfield in his first couple of months there.
Exactly. He must have been told before joining about how Anfield has the best atmosphere in the country. Coming from Dortmund it had to be underwhelming enough for him to comment about it.

BobP

Memri Fan
I think football has developed in a way which attracts and rewards spectators rather than fans.

I just don't think those earthy links or attachments of individuals to their clubs of yesteryear exists anymore. A major contributor may be gentrification of those areas where the club had been traditionally based. People had previously been fiercely loyal to clubs based in their area but of course now, as a consequence of gentrification, those links have deteriorated. You also got the sense that fans, in the early parts of the 20th century, genuinely felt they had a stake in the club, I mean they acted in a way which suggested as much. They'd riot when they dissatisfied by one thing or another.

Rising ticket prices haven't helped either.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I think football has developed in a way which attracts and rewards spectators rather than fans.

I just don't think those earthy links or attachments of individuals to their clubs of yesteryear exists anymore. A major contributor may be gentrification of those areas where the club had been traditionally based. People had previously been fiercely loyal to clubs based in their area but of course now, as a consequence of gentrification, those links have deteriorated. You also got the sense that fans, in the early parts of the 20th century, genuinely felt they had a stake in the club, I mean they acted in a way which suggested as much. They'd riot when they dissatisfied by one thing or another.

This I think is one of the biggest contributing factors. Treatment of fans by the clubs has changed completely.When you're having to pay £ 1000 for a ticket instead of 100, you'd expect a fair amount of return from the club atleast in terms of performances on the pitch whether you'd like to admit it or not.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Yeah he believed it was affecting the team , especially the moans at a loose pass .
I think he was making excuses. Top athletes learn to block out crowds when they need to. Either that or you have to use the Ronaldo approach "Your love makes me strong, your hate makes me unstoppable"... Fans will show disappointment. And with the ticket prices they pay, who can blame them.

If I pay for a movie and 30 minutes in I can see it is the most rubbish movie I have ever had to pay for, I leave. I don't waste another hour of my life trying to justify my spend.... The expense doesn't change but the use of my time is more important to me. While Arsenal is a little different because I rarely turn the Tele off, I would imagine many stadium going fans feel pretty aggrieved at paying premium prices for not so premium entertainment. There are times when I watch Arsenal and I know, with ten minutes to go or more, that we won't pull it back. Yes, there are games where we have and there will be many more but sometimes you can just see the outcome before it is over. The lack of commitment on the field is clearly visible sometimes.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Agree , Club used to be about a sense of belonging to a tribe . A Saturday ritual with your mates / community the actual game used to be only 50 percent of it .

Last edited:

BobP

Memri Fan
This I think is one of the biggest contributing factors. Treatment of fans by the clubs has changed completely.When you're having to pay £ 1000 for a ticket instead of 100, you'd expect a fair amount of return from the club atleast in terms of performances on the pitch whether you'd like to admit it or not.

I agree, I think it's why the prevailing mood at the Emirates is one of anxiety, which is why thing turn ugly, very quickly. It's almost like they're bracing themselves for some catastrophic result.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
It's just the fanbase , watched a lot of PSG as a youngster living in a French speaking country in the 90's their support has always been massive and boisterous especially when Rai and Weah were there . People don't realise they were quite a big club before Qatar turned up .

I also think it's because of pricing and culture.
I used to go watch PSG before Qatar turned up and you could buy a ticket for as low as €12 for a Ligue 1 game. And sometimes they were free for the youngsters who played for a football club in Paris. (who couldn't afford tickets otherwise).

So imo it has built a "popular" fanbase who truely lives for the club over the years who is still there even though tickets prices has raised so much.

But since the prices has raised le Parc des Princes is a lot quieter than it used to be. (also because they've destroyed some fan-sections who used to create problems/fight at the end of the game).

I've been at the Emirates a few times there are a lot of "tourists" in the stadium imo. Same goes for Anfield.

BobP

Memri Fan
Agree , Club used to be about a sense of belonging to a tribe . A Saturday ritual with your mates community the actual game used to be only 50 percent of it .

I've always been interested in the social history of Aussie rules so I was trying to link the dynamics which unfolded here to those in England.

Not the exact same, but you can see definite parallels.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I think he was making excuses. Top athletes learn to block out crowds when they need to. Either that or you have to use the Ronaldo approach "Your love makes me strong, your hate makes me unstoppable"... Fans will show disappointment. And with the ticket prices they pay, who can blame them.

If I pay for a movie and 30 minutes in I can see it is the most rubbish movie I have ever had to pay for, I leave. I don't waste another hour of my life trying to justify my spend.... The expense doesn't change but the use of my time is more important to me. While Arsenal is a little different because I rarely turn the Tele off, I would imagine many stadium going fans feel pretty aggrieved at paying premium prices for not so premium entertainment. There are times when I watch Arsenal and I know, with ten minutes to go or more, that we won't pull it back. Yes, there are games where we have and there will be many more but sometimes you can just see the outcome before it is over. The lack of commitment on the field is clearly visible sometimes.

There it is ,difference between a supporter and a spectator. Used to be a lot more supporters and fewer spectators . Can't have atmosphere with a spectators attitude . Irony is part of the entertainment for television audience is feeling the atmosphere .

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
There it is ,difference between a supporter and a spectator. Used to be a lot more supporters and fewer spectators . Can't have atmosphere with a spectators attitude . Irony is part of the entertainment for television audience is feeling the atmosphere .
Yes, I suppose that is true but there is clearly a correlation between ticket price and the influx of spectators...

Top Bottom