• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Atmosphere at Emirates

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I've always been interested in the social history of Aussie rules so I was trying to link the dynamics which unfolded here to those in England.

Not the exact same, but you can see definite parallels.

It's definitely an interesting history . Clubs in country Victoria were basically lifeblood of the community . Also why Arsenal does so much community work ... it's part of the traditions of being a Club .

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Also for Arsenal fans, the nosedive from regularly winning titles and playing in a CL final to fighting for a place in the top four after moving to the Emirates, and on top of that paying the highest ticket prices, isn't easy. United fans couldn't deal with one year of Moyes or a couple of years of LVG. Haven't seen many games of City recently but they barely filled out their stadium even when they were champions. Chelsea fans have been regularly treated to league titles and cups. Arsenal fans have had it rough.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Also for Arsenal fans, the nosedive from regularly winning titles and playing in a CL final to fighting for a place in the top four after moving to the Emirates, and on top of that paying the highest ticket prices, isn't easy. United fans couldn't deal with one year of Moyes or a couple of years of LVG. Haven't seen many games of City recently but they barely filled out their stadium even when they were champions. Chelsea fans have been regularly treated to league titles and cups. Arsenal fans have had it rough.
Could argue the same for Liverpool. Although long ago, they had a similar nose dive. My bro (a 'pool fan) and I often talk about how tough it is to be an Arsenal or a Liverpool fan. We've often felt like we get very little luck our way. Needless to say we don't watch games against one another. Blood has been spilled before..

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Could argue the same for Liverpool. Although long ago, they had a similar nose dive. My bro (a 'pool fan) and I often talk about how tough it is to be an Arsenal or a Liverpool fan. We've often felt like we get very little luck our way. Needless to say we don't watch games against one another. Blood has been spilled before..
I know how you feel. I've broken friendships over Arsenal.

BobP

Memri Fan
It's definitely an interesting history . Clubs in country Victoria were basically lifeblood of the community . Also why Arsenal does so much community work ... it's part of the traditions of being a Club .

They formed a crucial component on ones identity.

I think local heroes are also really important. Up until the 80s or even the early 90s a lot of the players grew up, at most, an hour away from Highbury.

I mean Adams and Parlour were from Romford, Rocastle from Lewisham, O'Leary from Stoke Newington, Merson from Harlesden. Even Wright, although not an academy product, was born in Woolwich.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

They formed a crucial component on ones identity.

I think local heroes are also really important. Up until the 80s or even the early 90s a lot of the players grew up, at most, an hour away from Highbury.

I mean Adams and Parlour were from Romford, Rocastle from Lewisham, O'Leary from Stoke Newington, Merson from Harlesden. Even Wright, although not an academy product, was born in Woolwich.

Yeah definitely does , which is why Wilshere , Nelson , Willow , Maitland Niles and even Iwobi are really important to us . I guess it's why Wenger pushed the "British Core " thing as well .

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Yeah definitely does , which is why Wilshere , Nelson , Willow , Maitland Niles and even Iwobi are really important to us . I guess it's why Wenger pushed the "British Core " thing as well .
I was really happy he did that, until it failed.... Even though I am not British, it felt very important to show the rest of football world that A) we weren't the french team anymore and B) we had the best British talent. Man was I deluded.

CJJ

Established Member
But the thing is... I don't think you can blame tourists for a lack of atmosphere.

It doesn't take the entire stadium to create noise, just a few thousand local fans which i'm certain there is.

I think that it might be english culture combined with insanely high prices keeping the youth away.
Might be wrong about english culture, i have no idea how it was back when we didn't charge these absurd prices.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I was really happy he did that, until it failed.... Even though I am not British, it felt very important to show the rest of football world that A) we weren't the french team anymore and B) we had the best British talent. Man was I deluded.

Got a feeling the kids that are coming through now are going to be different . They're much more of a "pack " than the "British core .

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

But the thing is... I don't think you can blame tourists for a lack of atmosphere.

It doesn't take the entire stadium to create noise, just a few thousand local fans which i'm certain there is.

I think that it might be english culture combined with insanely high prices keeping the youth away.
Might be wrong about english culture, i have no idea how it was back when we didn't charge these absurd prices.

It's true because the Lukaku song was so loud at Southampton you could hear it down here . Apparently it was a minority of MU fans that sung it . So good point .

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Got a feeling the kids that are coming through now are going to be different . They're much more of a "pack " than the "British core .
Hope you are right. I just feel there is this massive sense of over entitlement that comes from the youth these days. And I don't just mean at Arsenal. This is a worldwide problem we are facing. When they do fight, they fight for themselves because of something that wasn't given to them that they expected to be given to them without earning it.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
North End should be noisiest, as that's where groups from Supporters Clubs sit

but my only experience of going to the Emirates, where I was in the Family Enclosure, suggested to me that the loudest noise is created when particular people are concerned - the loudest cheers for Mertersecker coming on for first game of the season - loudest boos for the arrival of Kroenke etc

and too many tourists don't know the 'story' so are too quiet - I went to the Liberty Stadium three times last season, but didn't understand some of the booing and cheering going on around me because I didn't know the Swansea 'stories'

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Too true. At schoolboy rugby level here in SA some of these schools make a hell of a noise when cheering their team on. We're talking about a thousand students max at one game and often not in a stadium which could reverberate the sound.

CJJ

Established Member
Too true. At schoolboy rugby level here in SA some of these school make a hell of a noise when cheering their team on. We're talking about a thousand students max at one game and often not in a stadium which could reverberate the sound.
I also know this is true as i've grown up supporting a fairly big danish club.
We have designated fans standing at one side of the stadium singing.
This video is at our local 28k stadium. This is 4000 people starting this kind of reaction.

I know you won't have Emirates Stadium doing this, but i don't understand why you couldn't get 3-5k local people encouraging it.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Hope you are right. I just feel there is this massive sense of over entitlement that comes from the youth these days. And I don't just mean at Arsenal. This is a worldwide problem we are facing. When they do fight, they fight for themselves because of something that wasn't given to them that they expected to be given to them without earning it.

These guys are all practically raised at Arsenal , they look the same (haircuts ) , talk the same ,probably partly because they spent so much time together , they just have the feel of a pack which was not the case with Ox and Ramsey etc.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

@BobP @Mark Tobias Just and example of the correlation between ticket prices and crowd support . do you guys remember the Carling Cup matches 7-8 years ago when the prices were reduced ? We had a whole lot of kids and people that couldn't normally attend Arsenal matches there and the atmosphere was electric .

A general sporting example would be Wimbledon final between Goran and Pat Rafter , due to rain it was played on a Mon and the gates were thrown open to the general public , atmosphere was unbelievable.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
@BobP @Mark Tobias Just and example of the correlation between ticket prices and crowd support . do you guys remember the Carling Cup matches 7-8 years ago when the prices were reduced ? We had a whole lot of kids and people that couldn't normally attend Arsenal matches there and the atmosphere was electric .

A general sporting example would be Wimbledon final between Goran and Pat Rafter , due to rain it was played on a Mon and the gates were thrown open to the general public , atmosphere was unbelievable.
Absolutely. It is why I still get excited for Carling Cup games. In my memory they almost felt like European nights at times!

Latest posts+

Top Bottom