• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: Joening the First Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
  • Was concerned before the game that Joe Willock would be out of his depth but thought the young man had a very fine game indeed. Did we keep the right pillock, erm Willock in the end? Arsène knows?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Didn't notice.

I like his talent!
Great blend of physical and technical attributes IMO. He's not especially quick, but he's got big strides and eats the ground up quite quickly. He's getting stronger and already knows how to use his body well to protect the ball and roughhouse opponents if needed. He's got a competitive streak, I like that.

I want to see his technical ability come to the fore more. He's held his own physically which has been particularly refreshing - but he's not only a decent dribbler (he is a Willock, they can all dribble), he's an excellent passer of the ball. I'd like to see that element more once he's comfortable in the team.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Like with Iwobi when he came through, nothing about him stands out right now.

AMN is much further ahead of him, methinks.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Like with Iwobi when he came through, nothing about him stands out right now.

AMN is much further ahead of him, methinks.
AMN is much more comfortable with his technical ability at this level now to be fair to him. AMN is more likely to take a few risks - even if they don't come off/look sloppy.

Willock has a size advantage at present, and so far doesn't look out of place despite the fact that he barely even has U23 experience. That's not a bad position to be in! He's not doing anything particularly special now, but the fact that he looked relatively competent in his first ever competitive start (in Europe no less, albeit weak competition) bodes very well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing as this is his thread, here's a video compilation of him last season for U18s. A reminder that he literally only had 45 mins or U23 football last season, so for him to play first team football this early is a steep rise.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Of the youngsters playing in the BATE game, he stood out for me. I know Nelson is considered the top talent but Willock, in this game anyway, was the one to shine.

say yes

forum master baiter
Of the youngsters playing in the BATE game, he stood out for me. I know Nelson is considered the top talent but Willock, in this game anyway, was the one to shine.

Yeah I’d agree with that. Wasn’t impressed with him at all in pre-season which made that performance stand out all the more for me.

say yes

forum master baiter
I don’t think I’ll ever understand giving Elneny minutes ahead of guys like Willock/Maitland-Niles in the middle.

Need to stop hoarding these nothing players and go back to our yutes for squad depth.

If you were a young North London talent you’d pick Sp**s as the best place to further your career these days. Sad.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The Europa League and the League Cup have been excellent for Willocks, AMN and Nelson's development.

In previous seasons, we'd have to send these kinds on loan or keep them in the reserves. Pretty soon these kids will be able to contribute in the EPL. AMN and Willock are already putting pressure on Elneny.

Based on their style AMN might be ahead of Willock to replace Elneny because he is more mobile. Willock is a bit more like a DLP than a B2B even though he can attack pretty well.

The idea of a "British Core" has comical connotations now, but this season Ramsey, Iwobi, Wilshere, AMN, Nelson, Willock, Walcott, Holding, Welbeck and Chambers have seen minutes and that's pretty good. (Chambers would have more if he wasn't injured.)

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The Europa League and the League Cup have been excellent for Willocks, AMN and Nelson's development.

In previous seasons, we'd have to send these kinds on loan or keep them in the reserves. Pretty soon these kids will be able to contribute in the EPL. AMN and Willock are already putting pressure on Elneny.

Based on their style AMN might be ahead of Willock to replace Elneny because he is more mobile. Willock is a bit more like a DLP than a B2B even though he can attack pretty well.

The idea of a "British Core" has comical connotations now, but this season Ramsey, Iwobi, Wilshere, AMN, Nelson, Willock, Walcott, Holding, Welbeck and Chambers have seen minutes and that's pretty good. (Chambers would have more if he wasn't injured.)
I would wholeheartedly agree. While the Europa League has negative connotations for the club as a whole, the silver lining and the major pro I was hoping would come of this was the first team experience for younger players that needed opportunities. It's not been particularly ideal; Wenger's squad is top heavy with forwards and midfielders who need football and virtually no backup full/wing backs - meaning players like AMN and Nelson have to make do with stints in those positions.

Willock must be really heavily liked by Arsène because he got a full debut in central midfield ahead of AMN, although it can be argued the latter's versatility worked against him. Willock has the passing range for DLP and he can create (10 assists for U18s last season). Some of his passes last season for the U18s were pretty special - the setup to Donyell Malen's wondergoal comes to mind. I could see him functioning as an #8 though, with his marauding dribbles from deep and ability to escape tight situations. He's a very interesting prospect, probably - in terms of team needs - the most interesting right now bar Nelson.

say yes

forum master baiter
Not the best comp but better than nothing:

Looking forward to the Europa League more than any other competition at the moment. Wilshere, Nelson, guys like Willock coming through.

Just need Walcott to pick up a hamstring injury.

LacaNewSigning

Willock seems really confident on the ball and doesn't seem fazed by the big stage, and boy can he dribble.

My only question is, what's he like with the defensive side of the game?

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yep. Only played 45 mins last season at U23 level. Rest was U18.

Got the feeling that Wenger really likes Willock . Nelson probably outshone him in pre season and Joe seemed a little out of his depths in latter pre season games but Wenger has persisted with playing him .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom