• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Football Manager 2018

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Am hearing the game is very bad this year. Big steps backwards and they were full of **** promoting a new graphics engine, looks worse than 17. They need to **** that Miles **** off and get someone in who knows how to design a game.

I've played 8 hours or so. The game isn't bad. The match engine seems much improved, and the scouting has gotten more realistic.

The big problem is the user interface. They've ****ed it up completely, which severely knee-caps the rest of the game. It's a chore to navigate through, and you can probably imagine what that does to a game that is 95% navigating through menus.

I'd recommend anyone who's on the fence to wait until the game is officially released and we hopefully see some great community made skins that fix a lot of the issues.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
50 hours in now:

• Game has improved dramatically since the release of the beta. I'm thoroughly enjoying it now.
  • The new ability to instruct each player to mark a specific position (or player) is a basic thing that's finally in the game. Wingers with the attacking mentality in a 4-2-3-1/-4-5-1/whatever stick to the opposition FBs on overlaps now with these instructions. It also means that you can instruct one of your strikers in a 4-4-2 to mark the opposition DM instead of always just sitting on the edge of the defense.
  • The match engine is by far the most improved it's been in years. I cannot state this enough. It is night and day from last year. Lose balls feel dynamic and realistic, players react much more quickly to blocked shots/deflections etc. and the overall flow just looks better.
  • The scouting is more realistic, but as a result also slightly less enjoyable for me. It takes a while to get proper scouting done, and it requires navigating some more menus to get to where you want to be etc. The good thing is that your inbox doesn't get spammed by scouting 50+ prospects anymore. It's all consolidated into the scouting centre. Whether you prefer it or not seems highly subjective as I've seen people who love it and hate it.
On a more Arsenal related note, you can faithfully recreate that Arteta - Ramsey midfield that worked so well for you for a few seasons with the new Segundo Volante role. It's a highly aggressive DM role that bombs forward whenever you win possession. It's unreal on counters and inside forwards love finding him when cutting inside.

I feel like I can absolutely recommend this game now.

BobP

Memri Fan
The new ability to instruct each player to mark a specific position (or player) is a basic thing that's finally in the game.

Are you telling me that you're able to instruct players to mark a specific space on the field? Could you elaborate a little more on that? How does the game organise that?

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Are you telling me that you're able to instruct players to mark a specific space on the field? Could you elaborate a little more on that? How does the game organise that?

It's just a drop-down menu in the personal instructions screen.

KOe9qZS.png

That's the instructions for my left winger. Told him to mark the opposition's RB, meaning he sticks to him on defense and tracks him on overlaps etc.

BobP

Memri Fan

KOe9qZS.png

That's the instructions for my left winger. Told him to mark the opposition's RB, meaning he sticks to him on defense and tracks him on overlaps etc.

Can see how that would be useful, seems much more convenient as opposed to having to constantly go back and rejig which players were marking who after the opposition had made some changes.

salvat

Liked Your Post

KOe9qZS.png

Wasn't this a feature already in last years edition? I remember setting my players mark specific players.

Godwin1

Very well-known
50 hours in now:

• Game has improved dramatically since the release of the beta. I'm thoroughly enjoying it now.
  • The new ability to instruct each player to mark a specific position (or player) is a basic thing that's finally in the game. Wingers with the attacking mentality in a 4-2-3-1/-4-5-1/whatever stick to the opposition FBs on overlaps now with these instructions. It also means that you can instruct one of your strikers in a 4-4-2 to mark the opposition DM instead of always just sitting on the edge of the defense.
  • The match engine is by far the most improved it's been in years. I cannot state this enough. It is night and day from last year. Lose balls feel dynamic and realistic, players react much more quickly to blocked shots/deflections etc. and the overall flow just looks better.
  • The scouting is more realistic, but as a result also slightly less enjoyable for me. It takes a while to get proper scouting done, and it requires navigating some more menus to get to where you want to be etc. The good thing is that your inbox doesn't get spammed by scouting 50+ prospects anymore. It's all consolidated into the scouting centre. Whether you prefer it or not seems highly subjective as I've seen people who love it and hate it.
On a more Arsenal related note, you can faithfully recreate that Arteta - Ramsey midfield that worked so well for you for a few seasons with the new Segundo Volante role. It's a highly aggressive DM role that bombs forward whenever you win possession. It's unreal on counters and inside forwards love finding him when cutting inside.

I feel like I can absolutely recommend this game now.
This is interesting, keep telling myself not to buy it this year but getting pulled in more and more. Anything else you like about this one over 17? Also could you tell me what your avatar is all about?

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
This is interesting, keep telling myself not to buy it this year but getting pulled in more and more. Anything else you like about this one over 17? Also could you tell me what your avatar is all about?

It's difficult to pinpoint exact improvement etc. given how these games are so similar each year. I'd be equally hard pressed to explain why I think FIFA 18 is better than FIFA 17. The short version is that it feels like everything has seen a slight improvement, with the match engine being the biggest one. All of it is a bit bogged down by some weird interface design decisions but they're slowly being ironed out and I've gotten used to them now.

It's Mickey Mouse ****ing Miley Cyrus, it's quite self-explanatory :lol:

Godwin1

Very well-known
It's difficult to pinpoint exact improvement etc. given how these games are so similar each year. I'd be equally hard pressed to explain why I think FIFA 18 is better than FIFA 17. The short version is that it feels like everything has seen a slight improvement, with the match engine being the biggest one. All of it is a bit bogged down by some weird interface design decisions but they're slowly being ironed out and I've gotten used to them now.

It's Mickey Mouse ****ing Miley Cyrus, it's quite self-explanatory :lol:
If it's a similar improvement as Fifa 18 is over 17 then I'm sold mate.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
btw, anyone looking for an AFC save should check out DoctorBenjy:

hair pulling results, bewildering transfers, and doctorbenjy...really wonferful watching. especially check out the winter transfer window, when Fekir's transfer collapses.

btw, anyone looking for an AFC save should check out DoctorBenjy:

hair pulling results, bewildering transfers, and doctorbenjy...really wonferful watching. especially check out the winter transfer window, when Fekir's transfer collapses.

This is fun watching! I like watching videos like this. Watched City Skylines series not long ago. Enjoyed it a lot!

Thanks!

EDIT: That double tackle from Holding on Liverpool, and then ball goes to Iwobi who pass it to Özil who puts Dembele through to score! :drool::drool::lol:

Considering buying this game, but last 2-3 games I only end up playing this for week.

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This is fun watching! I like watching videos like this. Watched City Skylines series not long ago. Enjoyed it a lot!

Thanks!

EDIT: That double tackle from Holding on Liverpool, and then ball goes to Iwobi who pass it to Özil who puts Dembele through to score! :drool::drool::lol:

Considering buying this game, but last 2-3 games I only end up playing this for week.
Glad you liked it, and yes, that was a memorable double-tackle :lol:

This is probably the first time I've bought two FMs back-to-back, and it is a mistake.

This version is too raw and it needs at least one big patch to make it playable.

Glad you liked it, and yes, that was a memorable double-tackle :lol:

This is probably the first time I've bought two FMs back-to-back, and it is a mistake.

This version is too raw and it needs at least one big patch to make it playable.

Yeah I have been watching few videos... It is same as last year. You can always predict when the other team scores. No matter what you do on your defensive game.

I bought the game after having countless fun watching other people playing it on youtube!

Managed to sell Elneny to PSG for 30 M. I already love this game!

EDIT 1 :Managed to sell Sanchez to Liverpool for 60 M. He said there would be no chance he would come back while I'm still manager at Arsenal. :lol:

EDIT 2 : Signed Herrera and he got red card at minute 5 against Chelsea.

EDIT 3 : Sold(Sanchez, Özil, Elneny, Coquelin) Bought(Fekir, Herrera, Laporte)!

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I bought the game after having countless fun watching other people playing it on youtube!

Managed to sell Elneny to PSG for 30 M. I already love this game!

EDIT 1 :Managed to sell Sanchez to Liverpool for 60 M. He said there would be no chance he would come back while I'm still manager at Arsenal. :lol:

EDIT 2 : Signed Herrera and he got red card at minute 5 against Chelsea.

EDIT 3 : Sold(Sanchez, Özil, Elneny, Coquelin) Bought(Fekir, Herrera, Laporte)!
heard that they have made a lot of fixes now. Should be better now.

heard that they have made a lot of fixes now. Should be better now.

Its already better than most FM I play. Maybe to easy?

I mean I remember only having 40 M to spend last year and it was so hard getting rid of the dead wood. So boring. Got 140 M for Coquelin, Özil, Sanchez and Elneny.

Bellerin is a beast in this game by the way!

Didn't win a jack **** in first season. Finished 2nd (1 point after United). Am now in summer window trying to strengthen my team. Signed Lafont as a back up to Cech and then I managed to sign Saul and on the verge to sign Mane!

I will lose Mertesacker and Koscielny, which is a bloodtake because they really did a work on all the unhappy players in my squad. Speaking of the unhappiness, I feel that is pretty unreal. The amount and speaking to I have to do through the season with professional is just to much and boring.

I like how you can actually buy players and how negotiating a deals is a lot more fun than it used to be. You can actually use a multiple different tactics in contract and transfer negotiations. I like it. I also like how you get a good value for players you sell!

The match engine is not good. Not at all. So much unrealistic things going on. Like all corners I get on me, is someone trying to cross but that cross turns into shot on near post. It happens like 3-4 times per game. I don't like it. Not at all.

Also no matter what I do, I don't feel I can avoid a spanking at the big stadiums. Did manage 0-1 against Chelsea at Stamford bridge and draw against Tottenham. But got spanked on the other stadiums. Hopefully I will figure it out!

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
You guys too face glitches in the game when the players suddenly turn all black?

Or conceding a penalty for no reason?

The more I play the more horror the match engine really is. One thing I notice now is when player score he is often wrongly assisted. Like when Lacazette scored penalty he was assisted by my unused sub Oliver Giroud.

I also thing there is lot of unreal expectations from fans and the board. I'm into my second season and five games and made one draw at Anfield where they scored from corner at 96 minute. Apparently both fans and the board are unhappy with that game. Sure.

Speaking of that corner goal at Anfield. I changed my corners to short corners which worked. But when I wanted Fekir to come back in defensive corners and help out he never did. I tried like 3 times but he always stayed forward. In the end I conceded from corner. I was mad!

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The more I play the more horror the match engine really is. One thing I notice now is when player score he is often wrongly assisted. Like when Lacazette scored penalty he was assisted by my unused sub Oliver Giroud.

I also thing there is lot of unreal expectations from fans and the board. I'm into my second season and five games and made one draw at Anfield where they scored from corner at 96 minute. Apparently both fans and the board are unhappy with that game. Sure.

Speaking of that corner goal at Anfield. I changed my corners to short corners which worked. But when I wanted Fekir to come back in defensive corners and help out he never did. I tried like 3 times but he always stayed forward. In the end I conceded from corner. I was mad!
Yes happend to me too with penalties there is glitches hope they fix it

Latest posts+

Top Bottom