• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Media Tears

Keplaz

I watched the entirety of yesterday's game live and then, this morning, I watched the highlights on MOTD 2 and paid close attention to the analysis. I have suspected for a long time that there's always negative spin on us, to be fair a lot of people have pointed it out, but yesterday's MOTD 2 was shocking.

Most of their highlights were from the first half and moments when Burnley were particularly on top. They showed Xhaka winning a ball in the midfield but in a way that made it look like it should have been a foul. They didn't really show any of the second half or how severely Burnley were under the cosh. They didn't show any good touches from our players or the penalty we should have had, when Brady took out Bellerin. They admitted that the Ramsey one should have been a penalty but really wanted to say that he'd dived. No one commented on Sean Dyche's poor substitutions but if it was Arsène... Watching those highlights you would think we were absolutely hammered and that Burnley deserved to win, not just to draw.

When Arsenal win, we are lucky or the other team was unlucky. If Burnley or anyone else had won by that penalty, they would be praised for winning ugly. I think I'm finally giving up on the media. I thought people were exaggerating when they said that the media was against us. Yesterday was the worst editing I have ever seen. It's harsh on Tarkowski they said, and Burnley, but how many times have we conceded penalties, and it's never harsh on us? Disgusted by this.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Interestingly, given all the causes football is now meant to support - just look at this weekend - I have a theory that the current version of the media's anti-Arsenal agenda comes from good old-fashioned xenophobia.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I’m a huge critic of Arsenal and their overall practices but yeh even I can admit there is def a bias against Arsenal in the media.

Doesn’t help a lot of the pundits are ex Liverpool mainly or Sp**s and etc

That’s despite being a bit of a **** G.Neville’s opinions are kind of respected as far as pundits go.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
The ESPN panel take the biscuit though, barely hiding their disdain for us. Fair enough to criticise us when necessary, but they outright scoff at the idea we could make top 4. Pretty sure I remember one of them saying we're a top 7/top 8 club earlier this season. Ha!

For a long time during our trophy drought in the last decade I sensed the media had a lot of residual affection for us. When we as fans were critical they'd stick to the line that we play the best football. Now I think the pendulum has swung the other way and they've grown tired of us.

Meh, swings and roundabouts. But yes it's terribly infuriating at times.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
i think the media directs the whole thing like a soap opera...

"Ok, for the next few years, lets deride AFC until they start looking good again, and then we will make them the comeback story..."

Jojoba

This is cringeworthy. Why are fans so wrapped up in a bubble when it comes to criticism? We just seem to be snowflakes that are sensitive about everything.

If you are to go to the Chelsea fans forum they are saying the exact thing, the media is biased against us because of our Abramovich success.

Man United fans crying about everyone being biased against them because of their success, money and world status blah blah.

City fans the same, the media is biased against us because of our current sudden success and our money.

Spuds have been complaining nonstop about the media being biased against them because they crushed the Top 4 on a shoestring budget, displacing the likes of Liverpool, United and Arsenal etc, the media is not happy about it.

Leicester City crying about everyone being jealous and biased against them because they gate-crushed the EPL embarrassing everyone by winning the title. Etc.

Now we too are joining the cringeworthy “The media is biased and hates us” cult? Smh

For real if you are to read through our own arsenal fans forums you would think we ourselves are biased against our own club, team or players. The negativity from us the actual gooners towards wenger, our board, our players or toward each other seems more biased against our whole club than what the media does. Lol

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The Sp**s aftermath: every single commentator concentrated on whether our two goals were offside, most of them enthusuastically agreed they were except for those who said they were "almost offside" rather than legit!

Read the BBC's webpage on Dyche's rage at Mason giving the penalty. Where is the balancing point that, in fact, it was a penalty and that we had another perfectly good penalty not given earlier on. Which we didn't claim, unlike Burnley who were constantly putting pressure on the referee claiming non-existent fouls and so on.

Liverpool and Sp**s are praised whenever they make it to the Champions League. We were constantly derided for our "fourth-place trophies", they were not an achievement.

The media is generally pro-Manu and pro-Liverpool. It has much to do with history but also with northern grit v southern softies, and with Wenger's opponent for many years having been a true Brit, football man ie the despicable Alex Ferguson. Remember the "prettiest wife" incident and how the media supported Ferguson? These aren't phobias, they are what has happened for years.

Manu kicked the **** out of our players for years (remember Reyes) and the media would aid and abet this with "contact sport" "mans' game" and somesuch ****e. Is any other team regularly subjected to the "same old.... always cheating" chant?

Last edited:

carlito'sway

Established Member
This is cringeworthy. Why are fans so wrapped up in a bubble when it comes to criticism? We just seem to be snowflakes that are sensitive about everything.

If you are to go to the Chelsea fans forum they are saying the exact thing, the media is biased against us because of our Abramovich success.

Man United fans crying about everyone being biased against them because of their success, money and world status blah blah.

City fans the same, the media is biased against us because of our current sudden success and our money.

Spuds have been complaining nonstop about the media being biased against them because they crushed the Top 4 on a shoestring budget, displacing the likes of Liverpool, United and Arsenal etc, the media is not happy about it.

Leicester City crying about everyone being jealous and biased against them because they gate-crushed the EPL embarrassing everyone by winning the title. Etc.

Now we too are joining the cringeworthy “The media is biased and hates us” cult? Smh

For real if you are to read through our own arsenal fans forums you would think we ourselves are biased against our own club, team or players. The negativity from us the actual gooners towards wenger, our board, our players or toward each other seems more biased against our whole club than what the media does. Lol

Amen to that..... Arseblog had a very good discussion on his podcast about this relatively new trend, that has been pretty acute on social medias. As you said, he also mentioned, that it is not just Arsenal fans, it is across the board.
There is a new found tribalism in football (and in general) these days where any criticism of any club is perceived, by its fans, as a slight or some sort of agenda against this particular club.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Don't know about the media but the commentators sure look to have it in for us. Whenever we play they seem to support the opposing team. In fact, even when were playing against Tottenham, and Özil gave a virtuoso performance, they were going on about how he's playing well only because he was in the shop window.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
This discussion is like the old canard about refereeing mistakes, "it all evens out in the end". No it doesn't. Referees, events and the media can all be influenced. What's more, they are. There is no such thing as karma in football or in life.

Keplaz

Just an observation. And that's just how it seems. Everyone might have their own hard luck stories but it genuinely feels like an agenda of sorts towards us. Maybe everyone feels the media is biased because it is. Football will always be opinion based and if more opinions are against us than are for us, then they are biased against us.

shenanigans

Amen to that..... Arseblog had a very good discussion on his podcast about this relatively new trend, that has been pretty acute on social medias. As you said, he also mentioned, that it is not just Arsenal fans, it is across the board.
There is a new found tribalism in football (and in general) these days where any criticism of any club is perceived, by its fans, as a slight or some sort of agenda against this particular club.

Yeah I think fans generally see things in a way that benefits their own team which leads to thinking that the media is biased against them.

Its a pretty common bias not just in football but in general, eg. when you get a good grade you think you earned it but when you get a bad one you think it was bad luck or something.

Having said that I do think pundits have agendas like the rest of us and many (some much more than others) are just clueless. you definitely notice it more when theyre talking about arsenal because we obviously watch more of the games and notice their bullshit.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom