• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | West Ham vs Arsenal | 13th of December @ 20:00 GMT | BT Sport

What result do you predict for this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Have to say that I haven't watched you lot as much this season as I normally would, so I was shocked by your lackluster movement in the final third. It felt like you just passed it around to players standing still, only for someone to inevitably get bored of it and force a pass into the feet of our defenders.

It was somehow even less interesting to watch than our normal negative football. It was like.. positive football on anti-depressives.

Last edited:

vantoure

I hardly comment on match threads, especially after a bad result.

However, i think the general reaction to this particular match is over the top and lacks some perspective. Obviously there are some other matches where the team let themselves down badly, I don't think this is one of them.

I thought we played with a reasonable level of urgency, the midfield was OK and defensively, barring the really unforced mistake by Koscielny that almost unravelled the team, i thought we were good as well.

The problem area was in the final ball - execution mostly, and in a few situations, decision making. But I do think, and even though it's generally well known, executing within a packed box can be difficult for any team. Chelsea experienced it, City (@ home) required a late late win.

Obviously it's about the result, but if we were to take this match alone, it's really hard to pick out someone who underperformed.

Team selection, I was maybe surprised at the number of changes - understandable for Wilshere and maybe freshening up the attack, but I was surprised he included Niles, although he performed well enough I guess.

TL;DR - All in all, irritating result, but IMO good performance

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Saw a fair few posts after the weekend saying United were s**t and we'd definitely finish above them still. There's still plenty of time left to go but I hope results like this make people pump the breaks a bit because history tells us that we've got a few more results and performances like this left in us before the end.
Arsenal fans after 3 wins in a row: "United are crap, we are the second best team in the league!!!1111". Good times.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

This is true of every club bar City this season. Everyone of these clubs have gone through such runs this season.
Liverpool did that last season and they stumbled through to top 4. Even though we are able to rest most of our players, i still have not seen us being able to put forward a consistent 11 on the pitch.

This is the same argument used against Sp**s/Pochettino couple of weeks ago. These things keep changing every other week. So no point in criticizing the manager over it.
I'm not a Sp**s or Liverpool fan so I am not concerned about what they do or fail to do. As an Arsenal fan what Arsenal do concerns me and we've had a poor season by what I expect and the ambition stated by the club, again.

I'm not a Sp**s or Liverpool fan so I am not concerned about what they do or fail to do. As an Arsenal fan what Arsenal do concerns me and we've had a poor season by what I expect and the ambition stated by the club, again.
Definitely... While comparisons in football are natural. We need only compare Arsenal of this season to the Arsenal of previous seasons to see that we are not stagnating. We're going backwards.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
People who thinks that it was good performance, have low standards.

There was nothing good in this performance maybe just in midfield we controlled the game but still defensively we are shocking and offensively we are clueless

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I didn't expected us to challenge for the title this season but I really didn't expected us to be that poor away from home if we have been bit better we could have been in good position in top 4. 18 points dropped away in 9 games is very worrying

marting

However, i think the general reaction to this particular match is over the top and lacks some perspective. Obviously there are some other matches where the team let themselves down badly, I don't think this is one of them.

I thought we played with a reasonable level of urgency, the midfield was OK and defensively, barring the really unforced mistake by Koscielny that almost unravelled the team, i thought we were good as well.

The problem area was in the final ball - execution mostly, and in a few situations, decision making. But I do think, and even though it's generally well known, executing within a packed box can be difficult for any team. Chelsea experienced it, City (@ home) required a late late win.

Obviously it's about the result, but if we were to take this match alone, it's really hard to pick out someone who underperformed.

Team selection, I was maybe surprised at the number of changes - understandable for Wilshere and maybe freshening up the attack, but I was surprised he included Niles, although he performed well enough I guess.

Have a look at our away form/results since the start of the season, apart from Liverpool this happens most away days. Its not a good performance at all, West Ham came closer to winning the game then we did. We didnt look good going forward, We looked like we were going to concede when defending....thats not a good performance.

People seem to think that dominating a ball for 90 minutes is a good performance. Arsenal are at thier weakest when we have the ball, Teams happily give us the ball and wait for us to self destruct.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
Before the game:

After the game:

"We lacked maybe a little bit of sharpness in the final third we had many different good opportunities where they blocked our shots. I think that’s where you see maybe if we played on Saturday and they played on Sunday it would have been different on that front because they had more physical resources to defend with a lot of decisiveness." - Wenger.

FFS. :lol:
I rest my case, I know him well!

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...

I think you watched a different match to me.

vantoure

Have a look at our away form/results since the start of the season, apart from Liverpool this happens most away days. Its not a good performance at all, West Ham came closer to winning the game then we did. We didnt look good going forward, We looked like we were going to concede when defending....thats not a good performance.

People seem to think that dominating a ball for 90 minutes is a good performance. Arsenal are at thier weakest when we have the ball, Teams happily give us the ball and wait for us to self destruct.
I've had to look at the highlights again just cos of this and I struggle to see how we looked like conceding.

Until the koscielny mistake which I referenced in my earlier post, they didn't have a shot on target and even that shot according to general counts isn't regarded as on target. I really struggle to see how we were insecure defensively in that match.

Attacking wise, I believe given the packed defense, we managed to create a number of presentable chances which could and should have been taken:

Özil toe poke should have been better
Wilshere volley could have been better
One of the 2 Giroud headers

There have been better performances, no doubt, but I thought this performance was good enough attack and defense wise to win the game

If we want to talk about really bad performances, I'll then reference Liverpool, Watford and Southampton. I wouldn't include this at all

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
They seem to have forgotten that we played far superior football with worse squads than this.

I'm not sure those squads were that much worse. We have a couple of very good individual players now, but until ~2012 there was a clear vision and, dare I say it, philosophy to what we were trying to do. We only had one trick but at least we were very good at it.

I think in the early Emirates era we were just one or two defensive signings away from winning the title. Feels like we're much further off now if I'm honest.

Of course the rest of the league catching up financially to the Sky Four has made things more difficult as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom