• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | West Ham vs Arsenal | 13th of December @ 20:00 GMT | BT Sport

What result do you predict for this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I'm not sure those squads were that much worse. We have a couple of very good individual players now, but until ~2012 there was a clear vision and, dare I say it, philosophy to what we were trying to do. We only had one trick but at least we were very good at it.

I think in the early Emirates era we were just one or two defensive signings away from winning the title. Feels like we're much further off now if I'm honest.

Of course the rest of the league catching up financially to the Sky Four has made things more difficult as well.
Even as little as signing a reliable goalkeeper would have gone a long way to making us a more successful team back then. And would have cost us peanuts to fix that issue.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The forum seems divided into two.

1)Those posters thinking that the game was not bad, despite Kos's error. Very similar to Chelsea in fact.

2)And posters pretending that 1) posters have low standards and they're the only ones with ambition.

Of course there is no truth to this, the reaction is just a reflection of society.

It's like when you're not sure which turn to take in your car and as you slow one motorist behind will give you time to think and another will sound the horn and shout 'f***ing idiot' out of the window. :lol:

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Even as little as signing a reliable goalkeeper would have gone a long way to making us a more successful team back then. And would have cost us peanuts to fix that issue.

Yeah, I was thinking a better goalkeeper and just one CB who doesn't get bullied by every powerful striker in the league would have gone a long way towards securing the title in 07/08.

Goonerozil33

I'm not a Sp**s or Liverpool fan so I am not concerned about what they do or fail to do. As an Arsenal fan what Arsenal do concerns me and we've had a poor season by what I expect and the ambition stated by the club, again.
To judge a season as poor in December is probably not right. I would rather reserve the judgement on the season when all 4 trophies that we are competing for are decided.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Yeah, I was thinking a better goalkeeper and just one CB who doesn't get bullied by every powerful striker in the league would have gone a long way towards securing the title in 07/08.
Nicolas Anelka for £15m in January would have done it as well. With RVP, Rosicky and Eduardo as long term injuries, I'm sure having another quality attacker would have turned a few of those draws at the Emirates into enough wins to take the league.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
Nicolas Anelka for £15m in January would have done it as well. With RVP, Rosicky and Eduardo as long term injuries, I'm sure having another quality attacker would have turned a few of those draws at the Emirates into enough wins to take the league.
The league was there for the taking a few times around then, not so much now, barring the Leicester winning season.

Reactions: A_G

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Thinking back, I thought the midfield was good. Of course it was too ponderous in possession, but then again all our midfield personnel in whatever formation are too ponderous in possession. But I liked the look of it with Jack and Özil playing deeper.

I've seen some blame the awful attacking play on a lack of creativity in midfield, I disagree. Perhaps you could say it lacked a midfield runner in the shape of Ramsey, but really it just lacked runners in attack.

I don't really see the benefit of 3 CBs over 2CBs in defence. In both systems we're pretty meh. Might as well play the one with fewer defenders. In both systems there's just not enough width. I think Kolasinac does well on the left, but he could still use a winger to interplay with, Alexis drops deep and comes inside a lot. On the right we have nothing, zilch, nada. Bellerin's confidence looks shot.

I'd stick with a back 4. Yeah we don't have a great DM, but we have 4 good CMs in Özil/Wilshere/Xhaka/Ramsey who can play in a midfield 3. It's not the absolute best, but against most teams it'll do. The real problem is that Alexis is out of form and he's not even a proper winger anyway. Iwobi isn't a proper winger, or at least isn't being instructed to be one.

At this point I'd genuinely stick Nelson on the right flank and see what happens. This squad needs another winger though.

BobP

Memri Fan

You're right.

What people forget is that we came mighty close to beating both United and Chelsea in the away fixtures. We scored the first goals in both fixtures before the inevitable happened, i.e. a Rooney penalty and a Drogba double.

Think if we had managed to win one of those fixtures or even if we drew both, we would have won the title, and I say that from the POV of team morale. It would have been a great boost, especially in light of what unfolded in the Birmingham game.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
You're right.

What people forget is that we came mighty close to beating both United and Chelsea in the away fixtures. We scored the first goals in both fixtures before the inevitable happened, i.e. a Rooney penalty and a Drogba double.

Think if we had managed to win one of those fixtures or even if we drew both, we would have won the title, and I say that from the POV of team morale. It would have been a great boost, especially in light of what unfolded in the Birmingham game.
Both of those games were a joke. Adebayor missed 3 or 4 one v ones that were put on a plate for him by Hleb/Fabregas, better finishing would have seen that become a comfortable victory. Chelsea was even bigger disgrace:
-Sagna turning his ankle and getting subbed off at 1-0
-Drogba offside as the ball was played up to him for the first goal:
6d05PbZ.jpg

BobP

Memri Fan
Both of those games were a joke. Adebayor missed 3 or 4 one v ones that were put on a plate for him by Hleb/Fabregas, better finishing would have seen that become a comfortable victory. Chelsea was even bigger disgrace:
-Sagna turning his ankle and getting subbed off at 1-0
-Drogba offside as the ball was played up to him for the first goal:
6d05PbZ.jpg

No coincidence that the season went downhill after Adebayor cut his hair.

My memory may be wrong but I'm pretty sure Gallas missed a relatively easy chance in one of those fixtures

Also, I don't think Hargreaves ever scored a free kick after the one he scored against us.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Should have got him before Bolton I reckon for 6 mill I think it was . Strange Wenger didn't go for him , was supposed to be more talented than Henry .

Reactions: A_G

BobP

Memri Fan
Should have got him before Bolton I reckon for 6 mill I think it was . Strange Wenger didn't go for him , was supposed to be more talented than Henry .

He was right not to IMO, would have been an unmitigated disaster.

There were enough feuds at the club i.e. Gallas/Toure, Gallas/Nasri, Adebayor/RVP, Adebayor/Bendtner without adding someone as combustible and unpredictable as Anelka. God knows who else I'm missing.

Point is Chelsea was a good move for him as they had a sturdy foundation, he was able to slide in and do his business.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He was right not to IMO, would have been an unmitigated disaster.

There were enough feuds at the club i.e. Gallas/Toure, Gallas/Nasri, Adebayor/RVP, Adebayor/Bendtner without adding someone as combustible and unpredictable as Anelka. God knows who else I'm missing.

Point is Chelsea was a good move for him as they had a sturdy foundation, he was able to slide in and do his business.

Good point , I also forgot that Ade was probably the best CF in the that season . In spite of all that we were very close to winning the league that season .

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Can't believe Bellerin didn't take on the full back and get to the by-line once ffs.
Bellerin is worse on the ball than Walcott, in fact he’s worse on the ball than the majority of our outfield players.

When he first broke through I was hoping it was something he would add to his game but I’ve realised that stuff like that is easier said than done.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

The shift in power is real again I suppose.
:lol::lol:

Might join you on your crusade, starting to realise how mentally unhinged this place can be. I blame Wenger for what he’s done to people who I’m sure used to be rational.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

That use to be Alexis. Not sure who this imposter is but it's a good doppelganger
Alexis even at his best...ok he did beat players but I want someone who can actually leave someone for dead. Alexis tends to get caught up by defenders he’s beaten if there’s still a lot of pitch ahead of him.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
No coincidence that the season went downhill after Adebayor cut his hair.

My memory may be wrong but I'm pretty sure Gallas missed a relatively easy chance in one of those fixtures

Also, I don't think Hargreaves ever scored a free kick after the one he scored against us.

Feels like Hargreaves never set foot on a football pitch again after that goal. A meme goal before memes were even a thing.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

To judge a season as poor in December is probably not right. I would rather reserve the judgement on the season when all 4 trophies that we are competing for are decided.
It's safe to say we are no longer competing for one of them and that's the one we state each season we want to win. The other three, yes it's early and we can still win there (I really want the Europa to give Wenger a European trophy)but this is a match thread about the league and that's where the overall discussion is aimed at. Our league form has been terrible. Or inconsistent at best. Neither is good enough and that's why there is frustration building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom