• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaza

Xabi Alonso is one who I'd us to get in say 5-8 years time. Arteta will make a decent coach, but let's not get carried away. He hasn't even coached a B team yet. Pep was superb with Barca B...people forget that. Let's give him 3-5 years to see what he's all about.
Oh and I really think we should be going for Tuchel. Shame the new scouting guy hates him

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Don't care about cycling to be honest because I've never been involved in it or been acquainted in it, but I'd be interested to know who is doping and where, because I've got a performance analyst pal at a Championship club and it doesn't happen there, I know players in League 2 and it doesn't happen there, I know a physio and a sport scientist in the EPL and it doesn't happen at that club.

This is of course if it's completely cloak and dagger and players are secretly being injected in dark rooms and not even a whisper gets out i.e how can doping go on at a club or team where the physio, sport scientist, head coach or teammates don't even know?

Some doping, a small minority, may happen someplace, somewhere with an individual but I just find it very hard to believe considering in my experience it's not possible. I also find it difficult to understand that if PED's were so beneficial, why wouldn't club's and player's beneath the Conference use them where there is little, if any, testing. There are semi-pro players in England earning between £200-500 a week playing part-time so a decent wage yet nobody I'm aware of or known personally has ever looked to PED's to enhance performance.

In all my time, I've heard one remark and that was from an American college soccer athlete who said "yeah bro, in the summer I'm gonna jump on that HGH, get ripped and be ready for that try-out opportunity" but that was once in amongst dozens of pro and semi-pro team and hundreds of players and coaches. ****, I've been in changing rooms where I'm taking a 200mg caffeine tablet before a game and team-mates are looking at me like I'm some sort of biochemist. I can only say though, that's below the level of the very elite team's.

You're naive if you don't think there's doping going on at the top level in football. You know all the things doping would help with?

I generally believe all our injury problems over the years is because of the lack of doping. Yeah PED's won't make you a better footballer, but it'll give you better stamina, endurance and recovery. Which can be more important than skill at times.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Arteta is a nice idea, but i'm starting to think we should monitor how Eddie Howe does this season and next. If he can keep Bournemouth in the PL whilst playing some good footie then I think he should absolutely be a candidate.

He's not one of these managers at smaller clubs who'd be lost if given better players and the responsibility to attack. I think he'd thrive with better players.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
People mentioning the fact that Arteta has taken training sessions, I mean that's all well and good for his own development, but it's a drop in the ocean compared with actually managing a club. Even Pep had actually managed Barca B.

I'm sure Arteta will be a good manager one day, but he needs to actually manage a team somewhere first. Let's be realistic, it shouldn't be the Arsenal first team. I'd prefer Eddie Howe. He has experience and he likes to play attacking football.

IslingtonBornandbred

You're naive if you don't think there's doping going on at the top level in football. You know all the things doping would help with?

I generally believe all our injury problems over the years is because of the lack of doping. Yeah PED's won't make you a better footballer, but it'll give you better stamina, endurance and recovery. Which can be more important than skill at times.

This is an Arteta thread but I don't think that's fair. PED''s may help with certain things but it doesn't mean there's doping going on at the top level.

I mean, of course, one player in one team without or with the team's knowledge might have taken something but I think it's more naive to assume it's going on like it's normal. Caffeine gives you a massive buzz in a high enough dose. Why does Jamie Vardy drink Red Bull before a game? Surely if it's that easy to dope, he'd just dope and not drink Red Bull? What's the point in investing in cryotherapy chambers or having ice baths etc if you can just dope.

I'm not naive. I have friends who have played in the EPL in recent years who have dropped down the leagues or gone abroad. At no point have they ever doped or seen any doping, and nor have I, nor has anyone I know who has worked at the top level as either a coach, player, or backroom staff, so I actually think it's more misformed to think doping's going on at the top level.

And our injury problems has nothing to do with a lack of doping. Why does Vincent Kompany keep pulling up with muscle strains at a club that's doping? That doesn't make sense.

I'm not going to bother commenting further because we can go around in circles, but like I said, in my experience I can definitely say it's not widespread, normal or regular but I do admit it's highly plausible that one player may take something once that's banned and get away with it, but to think there is some sort of cloak and dagger secret doping that goes on widely at the top level or lower level is unrealistic.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I know it's off topic in this thread, but the doping thing, especially in regards to the bigger context of adulation towards Guardiola, the at least shady background of City's owners and their use of the club as PR/geopolitical means, gets me angry all the time.

Some angles towards doping seem very defensive to me: "It's not happening in my sport. In Cycling? In running? Yes. But not in loveable, mighty, old football."

For me, it's a case of 1+1=2.
Sports guy gets found out doping with his doctor. A couple of years later, said doctor is found guilty of doping athletes in another sport. Further down the road, sports guy becomes a manager. Who does he hire? His old doctor who got found out doping athletes. Apart from that one doctor, he gets more people into the club's medical staff who had one or another connection to doping in sports. Right with these developments the club is getting started to be fined for violation of rules connected to doping. Apart from his team's tactical superiority, they too seem to be physically superior, being able to run more and longer than their opponents. Crazy pressing stuff 'til the 94' minute.
Sports guy leaves this club and joins another. In no time he gets into a fight with his new club's management over their medical staff. Who does he want to bring in? The doctor who doped him, doped in another sport and then doped while at the guy's last club. He manages to get trusted guys fired, but at the same time is not allowed to bring in whoever he wants. There's no doping violations while guy is at this second club.
Then he joins a third club. As soon as he arrives there's problems with doping rules. The team seems to be physically superior to their opponents. And so on...

That's just to much coincidence here. These are well reported facts, seems just no one wants to truly connect or acknowledge it. Doping is established in sports, why should it not be done in football? It all lines up so clearly.
Because of UFO and Illuminati idiots and a good deal of work by the media, any sort of connection making is now a ludicrous conspiracy by some nutter in his mum's basement, no matter how evident the circumstances. It's all there to read in articles by as of now rather serious/respectable outlets. And if you do read up on doping in football and especially in connection to Mr. Guardiola, don't tell me there's nothing fishy going on.

Now that doping, in tandem with how City is used by its owners, the massive cash flow and the media adulation, admiration and protection for Pep...it's all a massive fraud that should get any proper sports fan angry.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenals-Arsène-wenger-could-quit-11806984

Masterdon

Wenger to PSG/Madrid would be perfect. Give the old man one last try to win the CL with a team that has unlimited resources and where he probably won't have to be involved much with signings either.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Doping is way more effective in individual sports where the margins are that small. Football will no doubt have it's culprits, but I doubt it will be even remotely close to the extent we see it happen in duration sports like cycling or other more individual sports where tiny margins decide the outcome of a competition instead of luck and hundreds of other variables we have in football. To have any effect he whole team needs to be in on it for the duration of a season or tournament.

Biggest issues we face in football today are match fixing, money (squadcost), corrupt officials and the parasites we call agents.
This.

The EPL paid out over £200m on agents last year according to BBC research.

Wenger touched on squad cost in his pre Notts Forest presser, mentioning Brian Clough. He said the days where a good manager can take a team like Forest or Villa on to win the the European cups are long gone.

Referees are a big issue too, their human influence on the rules are creating problems. 38 games are not enough for errors to balance out. Let's hope VR can help here.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I can't see us giving the reigns to someone who have no experience managing at this level.

Arsenal is multimillion pound club, and the risk is simply too high. I'd be very surprised if we went down this route.

Prepare for some seasoned stalwart like Ancelotti or Conte (when he is fired, which he no doubt will be soon...).....

Jae

I can't see us giving the reigns to someone who have no experience managing at this level.

Arsenal is multimillion pound club, and the risk is simply too high. I'd be very surprised if we went down this route.

Prepare for some seasoned stalwart like Ancelotti or Conte (when he is fired, which he no doubt will be soon...).....

This is true to a certain extent. However, Arsène Wenger is a very MANAGER but a poor COACH.

From the little we've seen and heard it would appear that Arteta is a very good coach, even at such an early stage of his career.

Keile

Doping is way more effective in individual sports where the margins are that small. Football will no doubt have it's culprits, but I doubt it will be even remotely close to the extent we see it happen in duration sports like cycling or other more individual sports where tiny margins decide the outcome of a competition instead of luck and hundreds of other variables we have in football. To have any effect he whole team needs to be in on it for the duration of a season or tournament.

Biggest issues we face in football today are match fixing, money (squadcost), corrupt officials and the parasites we call agents.

Luck doesn't decide who plays well in football. The consistently best players in any league play well and the consistently worst players in any league play the worst. This infers luck has little to do with player performance as a trend; player ability isn't luck. Luck is mainly to do with all-around team performance not individual ability.

Footballers engage in a physical sport , its players make the most money in the world, and yet football players are the least scrutinized among all top sports (next to maybe hockey?). There should be rigorous doping tests and the fact there isn't is a red flag. Footballers have been found doping in World Championships wherein they hardly get paid.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

they are probably too much for the delicate flowers we have

AmberHawk

My biggest problem with Arteta as a coach is that its so typicall Arsenal.
I like Arteta and the service he did to us, but he is no way ready to be the head coach of Arsenal.

BUT its typicall us to say HEY we dont need an experienced head coach, why would we pay an experienced one when we can bring in Arteta on the cheap?

Why sign players? We have Wellbeck and Wallcott.. they are like new signings!

My hope wich am afraid is not a hope but wishfull thinking is that when Arsène finnaly leaves we become more ruthless in everything we do. And thats not bringing in Arteta.

GDeep™

League is very weak
My biggest problem with Arteta as a coach is that its so typicall Arsenal.
I like Arteta and the service he did to us, but he is no way ready to be the head coach of Arsenal.

BUT its typicall us to say HEY we dont need an experienced head coach, why would we pay an experienced one when we can bring in Arteta on the cheap?

Why sign players? We have Wellbeck and Wallcott.. they are like new signings!

My hope wich am afraid is not a hope but wishfull thinking is that when Arséne finnaly leaves we become more ruthless in everything we do. And thats not bringing in Arteta.

Typical us would be a Carlo Ancelotti, Low or Blanc. Average dinosaur type managers who’ll come in and take over from where Wenger left over. These guys barely have a heartbeat either.

Arteta is the opposite of how we operate now, he’s a young, dynamic but risky option. He’s the unknown.

GDeep™

League is very weak
If Arteta came here, I’ll guess he brings in an experienced mainly Spanish coaching set up with him. So, he’ll have a team to help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom