• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

They are called Referees

Are you for VAR or not?

• Total voters

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Love how most journalists and pundits were basically calling Wenger paranoid but now all seem unanimous in terms of the declining standards of referees thanks to last nights incident. :lol:

But there's no agenda against Arsenal.
Spot on.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
DS-O2L5XUAE2Pif.jpg

Reactions: A_G

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Hey guys,

I couldn't find a thread for this. Please move this if there is one.

What is everyone's thoughts on VAR. I for one think it is time but there is a uniqueness to football that needs to be spared from tainting.

For example, the counter attack. A decision to stop the game to check for a decision may in fact hinder a potential counter attack for the opposition. One way to negate this is to have an appeal system. A set amount of appeals per team would be allowed. Of course this opens the door for more problems such as tactical time wasting using appeals and breaking opponents momentum by appealing something silly.

I must be honest I am not well read on the types of VAR being tested and suggested for this sport. I'd love more info. I just know the reffing in the EPL is now at an all time low and we need a change.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I'm very sceptical. Ultimately the decisions will still be made by clowns like Mike Dean, John Moss et al. The interpretation of the rules need scrutiny. Even using VAR, Lacazette's goal against Stoke can still be deemed offside or Hazard's penalty can still stay a penalty with pundits split down the middle regarding its validity. There are too many grey areas in offside and penalty decisions.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What happened to an offside having to be a clear advantage? Or was this never a thing? Be it for or against I'd never want to see Lacazette's goal given as offside via VAR.

Everything else should come down to a vote perhaps? If 2 out of 3 from the ref, fourth official and video ref decide that it is or isn't a penalty etc then that seems fair. Although I guess that could take a while and people seem really against the idea of fairness vs having too wait an extra minute or so.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Hey guys,

I couldn't find a thread for this. Please move this if there is one.

What is everyone's thoughts on VAR. I for one think it is time but there is a uniqueness to football that needs to be spared from tainting.

For example, the counter attack. A decision to stop the game to check for a decision may in fact hinder a potential counter attack for the opposition. One way to negate this is to have an appeal system. A set amount of appeals per team would be allowed. Of course this opens the door for more problems such as tactical time wasting using appeals and breaking opponents momentum by appealing something silly.

I must be honest I am not well read on the types of VAR being tested and suggested for this sport. I'd love more info. I just know the reffing in the EPL is now at an all time low and we need a change.
I guess we're relying on the refs judgement on that one. Hopefully a competent ref can weigh that up correctly, but I see how it's tricky.

Hopefully it can help with the really big calls - penalty decisions/dives, and goal deciding offside calls. Offside calls are pretty objective once you've seen a still shot, so it should help with that. I've always said that linesmen/women have a tough job with offside calls given the speed of play.

Penalties, I'm not as hopeful for.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
There's VAR in the Bundesliga in every game since this season. It's been absolute shambles and I'll tell you why. Might end up being a bit lenghty...

There's no clear rules on when the VAR comes in.
Is it called upon by the on field referee?
Does the VAR decide when to come in?
Is it tied to certain situations, e.g. penalty decisions, red cards - or any situation?
Is the on field referee obligated to contact the VAR in some cases or vice versa - or is it just random?

All these things are absolutely unclear and it's created a mess, because all of the question I asked, all these things happened - and because of that, basically nothing has changed, it's just like another ref on the field or a linesman or whatever.

game a) clear cut penalty, ref doesn't see it clearly, calls the VAR, he does see it, penalty given
game b) clear cut penalty, ref doesn't see it clearly, doesn't call the VAR, VAR comes in by himself, penalty given
game c) clear cut penalty, ref doesn't see it clearly, doesn't call VAR, VAR doesn't come in by himself, penalty not given
game d) clear cut penalty, ref doesn't see it clearly, calls VAR, VAR doesn't see it, penalty not given
game e) clear cut penalty, ref does see it, doesn't call VAR, gives penalty, VAR still comes in and penalty is then not given

and it happens vice versa and with any foul.

Being able to look at situations again on a video monitor, even in slow mo, doesn't make the refs any better. They still make the same wrong choices. It's just more complicated and muddled than ever going through multiple persons instead of only one. Competences and regulations regarding VAR are absolutely unclear and in the Bundesliga there's still the same amount of refereeing mistakes like before, if not even more.

And I think the main problem with that isn't the fast pace of the modern game with which VAR can help. It's a factor, yes, but not the root factor.
The root of the problem lies within corrupt FAs and ref associations, unclear rules to begin with, and even more muddled instructions on how to interpret and apply these rules, personal and association agendas and personal preference or antipathy of refs and not least media pressure. A guy behind a monitor influenced by all these things will still make the same mistakes as the guy on field with or without him.

Preacher

Always Crying
I'm in favor.

They should create replay center like in the NBA, which always is in the same place with the same personnel.

Maybe fans and viewers should hear what referees are talking, when they are considering big decision with VAR help, or overall communicate to viewers decision and the reason out loud through microphone similar like in the NFL.

I'm behind the longer pauses, if the game will become more clean.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
I'm in favor.

They should create replay center like in the NBA, which always is in the same place with the same personnel.

Maybe fans and viewers should hear what referees are talking, when they are considering big decision with VAR help, or overall communicate to viewers decision and the reason out loud through microphone similar like in the NFL.

I'm behind the longer pauses, if the game will become more clean.

I was thinking the same about hearing the refs communicate... At least those running the VAR.

Giroud12

Absolutely loved it last night. All arguments against (takes too long etc) thoroughly shot down. The dinosaur pundits can keep on hating. Finally the Mike Deans of football cannot keep ruining the game.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Why do pundits always say it keeps the ticket payers in the dark? There's giant screens in the corners of most grounds, just put the replay of the incident in question on those.

The Hazard/AMN fouls show it still has a long way to go though.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Why do pundits always say it keeps the ticket payers in the dark? There's giant screens in the corners of most grounds, just put the replay of the incident in question on those.

The Hazard/AMN fouls show it still has a long way to go though.
Thought the same. Are they reluctant to show the fans for some reason?

Latest posts+

Top Bottom