• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Lemar

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Wish our board would think this way. Though I'd prefer we got a CB and maybe a CM

We've signed Mavro and he's not going out on loan so forget another CB. I dont know what the club are doing any more. If we make another profit this window I'll...................Well I dont know what I'll do, carry on supporting the club and complaining I guess.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Lemar has to be a £70m bid, how on earth can we go from £92m to not more than £40m in only 5 months. He may have dropped off a bit but not by £52m

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
This club i senile. Bidding 92m, making him one of the most expensive players in history, to not going over 40. Ffs.

Lemars quality hasn't changed. Just a weaker Monaco this year, naturally.

We should swoop in for Fabinho as well.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There has to be more to this. We were crazy about him in the summer but Monaco weren't up for selling. Now they're actively trying to get clubs to come in for him suddenly we've turned our attention elsewhere?

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Only reason Lemar was going to cost 90million is because of the timing of our bid. We could've had him for 60 throughout the summer but we dicked around.

Moreover, the only reason it could remain around 60 is because it's January and Monaco will be hard pressed to find a replacement of quality at lesser value (which is what they always do). Besides that, Lemar has been injured, hasn't performed well even when he's played, and clearly doesn't want to be there. Also, lets be honest, Monaco's not going to win Ligue 1 for a long time to come now.

Last edited:

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
There has to be more to this. We were crazy about him in the summer but Monaco weren't up for selling. Now they're actively trying to get clubs to come in for him suddenly we've turned our attention elsewhere?

Maybe we weren't crazy about him and were just desperate to make a signing, again?

Last summer had shades of the summer chasing a big money move for a CF in Higuain or Suarez only for us to end with Özil another AM after signing a AM in Cazorla the year prior who spent the season being our best player despite the club really really needing a better CF than Giroud.

Wenger's luck ran out this past summer and his gamble/last dash shopping run on deadline day failed as no top player was being pushed out so we were willing to throw anything at Lemar to get it over the line.

He wasnt worth 92m then or now.

blaze_of_glory

Only reason Lemar was going to cost 90million is because of the timing of our bid. We could've had him for 60 throughout the summer but we dicked around.

Moreover, the only reason it could remain around 60 is because it's January and Monaco will be hard pressed to find a replacement of quality at lesser value (which is what they always do). Besides that, Lemar has been injured, hasn't performed well even when he's played, and clearly doesn't want to be there. Also, lets be honest, Monaco's not going to win Ligue 1 for a long time to come now.
We had bid around 50m and they told us he is not for sale. Period. Then they called us on deadline day and said we could have him for 90m so we agreed. But he was already set on staying since he had thought that was what was going to happen and didn't like the last minute change.

I know a lot of you guys think our club is to blame for absolutely everything, but it's just not how things work.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We had bid around 50m and they told us he is not for sale. Period. Then they called us on deadline day and said we could have him for 90m so we agreed. But he was already set on staying since he had thought that was what was going to happen and didn't like the last minute change.

I know a lot of you guys think our club is to blame for absolutely everything, but it's just not how things work.
They rang us? Interesting.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible

I remember the story being Lemar turned us down that day because he wanted to focus on France's WC qualifier against Holland later that evening. Didn't want to go through the hassle of a medical and all that.

Pretty silly to play international matches on deadline day when you think about it.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant

Clearly everyone was for sale this past summer at Monaco given the fire sale that went on. Everyone had a price. Wenger did what Wenger does and tried to get a better deal on DD and they called our bluff knowing we were desperate.

Plus if Wenger believed Lemar was never for sale per Monaco earlier in the window after the initial bids so we moved on, why didnt we go for a different target?

Plus Wenger should have learned from the last time dealing with Monaco...

Arsène Wenger: Monaco told me Anthony Martial was not for sale

The Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger, insists he never made a move for the new Manchester United signing Anthony Martial this summer – because Monaco told him he was not for sale.
The France international Martial sealed a £36m move from the Ligue 1 side to Old Trafford on transfer deadline day – a fee that could rise to around £58m – which came as a surprise to long-term admirer Wenger, who had tracked the youngster since his days at Lyon.

The 19-year-old forward has made a fine start to his United career, scoring four goals in his first four games, and could play against Arsenalin the Premier League match at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

If Wenger had his way, however, Martial could be lining up for the north London side, rather than against them.

“I was surprised they sold him,” Wenger told several national newspapers. “The amount of money was massive. I believe that you could think that, if you are Monaco, you could have sold him as well next season.
So I thought they would not sell him this year because they sold many other players. I thought they would maintain their word. He was not sellable. He was not on the list. He was one of the players Monaco did not want to sell, so we never made an approach for him.

“Only an acceptable amount of money after could do it. We always liked him, even when he was in Lyon.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/03/Arséne-wenger-monaco-anthony-martial-not-for-sale

Either way its on him/this club.

Pretty silly to play international matches try and sign players on deadline day when you think about it.

FFY

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Clearly everyone was for sale this past summer at Monaco given the fire sale that went on. Everyone had a price. Wenger did what Wenger does and tried to get a better deal on DD and they called our bluff knowing we were desperate.

Plus if Wenger believed Lemar was never for sale per Monaco earlier in the window after the initial bids so we moved on, why didnt we go for a different target?

Plus Wenger should have learned from the last time dealing with Monaco...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/03/Arséne-wenger-monaco-anthony-martial-not-for-sale

Either way its on him/this club.

FFY

To be fair... Martial was only on sale when United offered ridiculous money for him. But that's what it usually takes to get clubs to sell their best players.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
To be fair... Martial was only on sale when United offered ridiculous money for him. But that's what it usually takes to get clubs to sell their best players.

Exactly my point. Offer enough and everyone is available...especially at Monaco as you'd have hoped Wenger would have learned dealing with Martial or with him watching their title winning team being sold off to the highest bidder all last summer.

Dont see why people are trying to defend him here. He gambled for a deadline day deal, he lost, and he got desperate for Lemar and as a result we've lost another season due to his failing to address/equip the squad in the summer, again.

As a reminder...
2015 the year Wenger was 'told' Martial wasnt for sale prior to being sold to United:

CN1Vg0SWIAA5G-M.jpg

e73a0aac2b703a1e30b468875d75154d.jpg

2017 apparently 'told' by Monaco that Lemar wasnt for sale earlier in the summer...

summerbiz2017.jpg

No having any excuses for his failings/naivety this go round.

Last edited:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Exactly my point. Offer enough and everyone is available...especially at Monaco as you'd have hoped Wenger would have learned dealing with Martial or with him watching their title winning team being sold off to the highest bidder all last summer.

Dont see why people are trying to defend him here. He gambled for a deadline day deal, he lost, and he got desperate for Lemar and as a result we've lost another season due to his failing to address/equip the squad in the summer, again.

As a reminder...
2015 the year Wenger was 'told' Martial wasnt for sale prior to being sold to United:

CN1Vg0SWIAA5G-M.jpg

e73a0aac2b703a1e30b468875d75154d.jpg

2017 apparently 'told' by Monaco that Lemar wasnt for sale earlier in the summer...

summerbiz2017.jpg

No having any excuses for his failings/naivety this go round.

It was going so well when we signed Özil then Alexis . Who would have thought we'd be the only team to not sign an outfielder the year after. And then later drop out of the top4 for the first time in years and then have a net ****ing profit the window after. Hilarious

That season we only signed Cech really confirmed my thoughts we don't have much ambition to be a top team . There were clear gaps and we did nothing. Since then I haven't expected anything from the transfer window.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Yep, it was the summer of 2015 that did for us. Should go on trial in The Hague for that summer. OTT but y'know what I mean.

Top Bottom