• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
That isn't going to happen under Wenger. Remember when Ramsey had to play on the wing and he said in an interview something along the lines of Wenger telling him that he is on the wing but actually he can do anything he wants. Wenger just lets his players play. That's his approach.

Whisper it, but Pep would be good for Iwobi. Iwobi isn't on Sterling's level, but Pep would improve his positional play in a similar way to how he has with Sterling.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
The thing is he isn't really a winger. Hleb wasn't really a winger either, but he made a success of coming off the wings and linking play. I'd like Iwobi to reach the level of Hleb. That would be a success in my books.

infinium

Technically, I don't think Iwobi comes close to Hleb. Hleb's close control was phenomenal. There is a reason that Barcelona bought him. However, I don't think mentally he was that tough, and did not have the personality to fit the pressured environment of Barca.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Iwobi is very good technically, probably only Özil, Wilshere and perhaps Lacazette has a more clean technique than him. Monreal is very good technically as well. But he`s nowhere hear Hleb and won`t be either. Hleb could be a frustrating player but his close control and technique was superb, only matched by Van Persie and possibly Nasri in recent times in my opinion.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Hleb's dribbling ability, ball control and ambidexterity was senational.
Iwobi shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as him as of yet.

Iwobi is a tidy dribbler but he doesnt actually use it to cause damage to opponents. And his passing ability isnt good enough to be a attacking midfielder

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Wo wo wo I obviously don't think Iwobi is near Hleb yet. And you're right in that he'll probably never have the sheer technique that Hleb had.

I'm merely saying that Iwobi would do well to model his game on Hleb's and try to replicate that ambiguous wide-playmaker link-up play that Hleb mastered so well.

I do get frustrated when I see Iwobi constantly coming inside and compressing space when I think he could hold his position and effectuate play from out wide, but perhaps that's a little unfair. After all it's just not in his nature to play as an orthodox winger.

Maybe it would be better to simply say that he's a good player - not a great one - who's suffering from bad form.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Iwobi suffers from the same problem most of our CAMs face. They can’t score regularly, and they do get into good positions. They just don’t strike the ball cleanly, or place it well beyond the keeper, or just don’t have enough composure. Whatever the case, it makes them much less effective. If Iwobi for example, started scoring regularly, defenders would really be tripping over themselves trying to deal with him. Sterling, for example was always a good dribbler, but when he actually started scoring at City, you can see that defenders are just as worried about him shooting as they are about him trying to go past.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Incidentally, if you were looking for a Hleb 2.0 - an ambidextrous dribble-elf from the East - you'd do well to look at Aleksandr Golovin.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This has been the most frustrating aspect of his game for me this season; not the lack of goals or anything, but how he's so often drawn towards the ball which then abandons width and compresses the playing area.

He needs to learn - or someone needs to teach him - that as an attacking player you can be just as effective moving away from the ball into space as you can be on the ball.

This is the reason actually think getting rid of Theo is a huge mistake at this point. With Perez gone, he is the only one left outside of Lacazette who is more interested in getting in behind than getting on the ball.

Cannot for the life of me understand how we managed to **** up building a starting XI so badly.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
This is the reason actually think getting rid of Theo is a huge mistake at this point. With Perez gone, he is the only one left outside of Lacazette who is more interested in getting in behind than getting on the ball.

Cannot for the life of me understand how we managed to **** up building a starting XI so badly.

Walcott's movement isn't what it once was. He's caught offside an extraordinary amount of times nowadays. We won't be much worse off without Theo, he's barely getting a look in atm.

I'm just relieved there seems to be a genuine chance he could leave, it looked for a while like he'd be happy to collect a fat cheque every week whilst contributing eff all.

Coquelin gone, Walcott next, blimey.

TheArsenalis

i like iwobi, i really do. it would be nice if he makes it here but he has to be justified farther than just being an arsenal academy graduate. im not sure what stalling him, belief? but i think he has more in him than he showed. i want to see him dominate a game, score a goal, look threatening, make some assists. so far he has the makings of another average player.

on walcott, its time he moved on. he wont get any better, the usefull ness he has could be harnessed in another player additional quality.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Hleb's dribbling ability, ball control and ambidexterity was senational.
Iwobi shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as him as of yet.
Loved Hleb, but the little imp never amounted to much.

The thing is he isn't really a winger. Hleb wasn't really a winger either, but he made a success of coming off the wings and linking play. I'd like Iwobi to reach the level of Hleb. That would be a success in my books.
He's already there, not technically, but with end product. they both do fcuk all :p

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Put your laces when you shoot damnit.

No more sissy shots.

Reminds me so much of Hleb. Frustrating because we'd always want him to shoot after doing all the hard work.

Giroud

Established Member
Very good today I thought. Only player looking to progress the ball into the final third using his ball carrying and passing alongside Wilshere. Problem from there was Lacazette and Welbeck's movement in behind was non-existent and Bournemouth were able to get enough bodies back to snuff out any threat. Lovely pass for the Bellerin goal too.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Don’t understand the hype surrounding this guy’s “technique.” Just because he is an Arsenal youth product users here defend him vehemently.

From what I have seen of him in the past few months he has been absolutely pathetic. A few good moments here and there but he looks nowhere near the player he was when he broke into the first team two years ago. He has regressed immensely and he is absolutely useless at times. His “pass” to the Chelsea goalkeeper on Wednesday summed him up perfectly. Nice skills and dribbles but has a brain fart in the final third.

IMHO sell him, can’t wait another 2-3 years till he becomes consistent like Lingard at United (as some users have sarcastically suggested here). At least loan him to a Spanish club where he can improve his technique and composure or sell him with a buy back clause.

#IwobiOut

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Don’t understand the hype surrounding this guy’s “technique.” Just because he is an Arsenal youth product users here defend him vehemently.

From what I have seen of him in the past few months he has been absolutely pathetic. A few good moments here and there but he looks nowhere near the player he was when he broke into the first team two years ago. He has regressed immensely and he is absolutely useless at times. His “pass” to the Chelsea goalkeeper on Wednesday summed him up perfectly. Nice skills and dribbles but has a brain fart in the final third.

IMHO sell him, can’t wait another 2-3 years till he becomes consistent like Lingard at United (as some users have sarcastically suggested here). At least loan him to a Spanish club where he can improve his technique and composure or sell him with a buy back clause.

#IwobiOut

He could have a great World Cup.

That's when you sell. Nigeria have a great young team and Iwobi is like Milan Baros waz for Czech Republic

OSBK

Established Member
Pace- yes
Power- yes
Tech abilty- yes
Make decisions in the final third- no

He played bellerin in nicely but that ball was easily on and 99% players make that. Start if the game he beat 3 players and ran to the box and ignored laca and toe poked to the keeper.

Cannot afford to carry players like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom