• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Let's all laugh at Man Utd: Amrabad

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

:lol: :lol: You obviously don't realise, that's all us unaware posters can do, wade in, and support knowledgeable experts like yourself and hope you'll throw us a few crumbs of compliments now and again.
Not really sure what you're talking about.

Nothing wrong with joining in a discussion but you've joined in and tried to make a point that isn't even relevant, just a bit weird really.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not really sure what you're talking about.

Nothing wrong with joining in a discussion but you've joined in and tried to make a point that isn't even relevant, just a bit weird really.
Weird? Of course. Spotting whose normal on this forum is the hard part.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Pogba for £90m looks more and more like a steal as time goes. Considering a player like Coutinho just went for £126m, and a player like Lemar is rumored to cost £70m when he does move, I don't see how you could argue otherwise.

I do wonder if this bubble will burst at some point. The cost of a player has gone up exponentially in recent years, both in terms of wages and the fees involved. Wasn't long ago that a £120k per week wage was mental, and now you have players earning 3-4 times that. Not to mention £70m seemingly being the new £30m. £70m used to get you guaranteed world class performers 4-5 years ago. Now you get good/great players.

Pogba for £90m looks more and more like a steal as time goes. Considering a player like Coutinho just went for £126m, and a player like Lemar is rumored to cost £70m when he does move, I don't see how you could argue otherwise.
Of course paying £90m for a player you let go for a tribunal fee of around £800k is a steal, how could it possibly not be? :rolleyes:

On another note, this is a good piece from Martin Samuel: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...is-Sanchezs-agent-deserves-penny-10m-cut.html :D

Letting him go was obviously a horrible decision, but fact of the matter is, 89MM for Pogba in '16 was a great piece of business. Just like Chelsea grabbing KDB in '15 would have been.
Sorry mate, but the very fact they let him go, makes all talk of £89m being a steal, irrelevant, as it was £89m they didn't have to spend.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

As regrettable as a decision of him leaving on the cheap was. I firmly believe being at Juventus has really helped him become the player he is now. He lept to new heights in his development, battling for a place in a lineup with Marchisio, Pirlo and Vidal, playing in a very tactical league. Making a name for himself in not only the Juventus side but in his Champions League performances whilst we were nowhere near even qualifying.

Timing wise, he's come to us at age 23, looking like 10 times the player he was in our academy for big money. I'm just glad we rectified our mistake as much as it cost us.

Aevi

Hale End FC
As regrettable as a decision of him leaving on the cheap was. I firmly believe being at Juventus has really helped him become the player he is now. He lept to new heights in his development, battling for a place in a lineup with Marchisio, Pirlo and Vidal, playing in a very tactical league. Making a name for himself in not only the Juventus side but in his Champions League performances whilst we were nowhere near even qualifying.

Timing wise, he's come to us at age 23, looking like 10 times the player he was in our academy for big money. I'm just glad we rectified our mistake as much as it cost us.
That's a fair way to look at it tbf, Juve was definitely better for his development than Utd under Moyes and Van Gaal would have been. Playing under good coaches and next so some of the best in the game...
It was an expensive loan, but I guess it wasn't utterly pointless. If trends continue, 90mil won't be looking half bad either.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Sorry mate, but the very fact they let him go, makes all talk of £89m being a steal, irrelevant, as it was £89m they didn't have to spend.
They made a mistake, then rectified it. '12 Pogba for 800k was a bargain of far greater magnitudes, but '16 Pogba for 89MM was a good buy all the same.

Fwiw, I hadn't used the term "steal," but if we'd developed Henry, let him go in '95 before bringing him back for a huge fee in '99, I'd also term the latter transaction a steal. United paid below what the market would (now) bear, so I think it still applies, despite the fact that they were 'stolen' from previously. Semantic preference, I suppose.

They made a mistake, then rectified it. '12 Pogba for 800k was a bargain of far greater magnitudes, but '16 Pogba for 89MM was a good buy all the same.

Fwiw, I hadn't used the term "steal," but if we'd developed Henry, let him go in '95 before bringing him back for a huge fee in '99, I'd also term the latter transaction a steal. United paid below what the market would (now) bear, so I think it still applies, despite the fact that they were 'stolen' from previously. Semantic preference, I suppose.
Fair reply.

Do you think he'd command a higher fee now then, than what united paid for him?

All about opinions I suppose. I didn't and still don't think he is worth anything like that amount. The fact that Liverpool overpaid for Keita (and van Dijk) isn't really a barometer of that. I think Pogba is a very good player by the way. Funny video doing the round of his assists this season, going around tho :)

On another subject, I wonder if united fans would rather have seen fake Ronaldo come back, than spending the £££ on Sanchez?

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

On another subject, I wonder if united fans would rather have seen fake Ronaldo come back, than spending the £££ on Sanchez?

As amazing and unmatched Nazario was during his prime, will always find it amazing how Cristiano is the fake after showing 3 times the work rate to not only get to where he is but to have the longevity to stay there and battle it out with the greatest in Messi. Guess he'll be one of those that will be appreciated a lot more when he's retired for all of his long-lasting accomplishments.

In regards to your question, Ronaldo had a fantastic story with the club and became part of the fabric in one of Sir Alex's greatest eras and I feel that's where it should end. He's almost like an ex-girlfriend that was out of our league that suddenly finds it convenient to get back with us. I really hope we've moved on. Mourinho had disagreements with Ronaldo in the past and it's not something he'd be comfortable doing either. I'm happy with bringing in Alexis, feel he's got a lot to offer us.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
As amazing and unmatched Nazario was during his prime, will always find it amazing how Cristiano is the fake after showing 3 times the work rate to not only get to where he is but to have the longevity to stay there and battle it out with the greatest in Messi. Guess he'll be one of those that will be appreciated a lot more when he's retired for all of his long-lasting accomplishments.

In regards to your question, Ronaldo had a fantastic story with the club and became part of the fabric in one of Sir Alex's greatest eras and I feel that's where it should end. He's almost like an ex-girlfriend that was out of our league that suddenly finds it convenient to get back with us. I really hope we've moved on. Mourinho had disagreements with Ronaldo in the past and it's not something he'd be comfortable doing either. I'm happy with bringing in Alexis, feel he's got a lot to offer us.

I'm sympathetic in the sense that CR7 has exceeded all expectations and just to compete with Messi is unbelievable. But I disagree that he'll be thought of more fondly after he retires. I think he's one of those players who'll be thought of less. It's true, Ronaldo didn't achieve half as much as CR7 has, but he's thought of in much higher esteem. Ronaldinho is the same, didn't achieve as much but is more loved.

CR7 is like Mourinho. Lots of accomplishments and widely talked about when they're around; always the centre of attention. But I think when they're gone few will miss them. CR7 is mortal, Ronaldo is immortal.

TinFish

Looking at it now, £89 million odd was a steal. However back then? No way.

United essentially pushed the bubble higher in terms of transfer fees.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

Well it's not really that amazing to be honest. Frankly I take issue with the work rate comment as well. Ronaldo came back from 3 ACL tears at a time when just 1 was career ending for most. He was written off time and again and still managed to come back more clinical each time. What he achieved in 2002 is more impressive than anything Cristiano has done for the sheer willpower it took to even be fit to play. Here's a guy lost most of his prime to injury and was still unplayable until his weight gain(which was out of his control) finally took him out. Defenders never actually figured him out. He never had a real dip in form before that. The man was absolute magic even after everything that was stacked against him. He was more naturally talented and not nearly the diva Cristiano is. There's no mystery whatsoever why people view Cristiano as the fake. He'll never be loved like R9.

Latest posts

Top Bottom