• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Monreal: Nacho 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcahill

He's matured wonderfully and the LCB position clearly suits him.

But long-term do you think we rely on him for that spot? If we continue with 3 at the back, there's Kos and Mustafi too. Kos is class and has some years left in him, while Mustafi is a very good defender on his day and is only going to get better and more consistent hopefully. That's 3 good defenders for 3 positions, but do you rely on that or do you bring a top CB in?

In the summer we were all crying out for one, and it's typical Wenger to not buy a player because of the good form of players we already have. But top clubs buy players for competition and as an insurance if injuries or poor form hits.

Monreal/Kos/Mustafi are great for now providing they stay fit, but would it be negligence to not bring a top CB in who might force one of them out?

We have 3 potentially good CBs in Holding, Chambers and Bielik, but none of them are anywhere near top quality yet. You could argue that someone like Van Dijk would block their development, but imo it's necessary for the overall good.

Perhaps a good middle ground would be someone like Glik/David Luiz/Alderweireld, someone in their prime who wouldn't necessarily block Holdng's development forever.

Monreal has got LCB covered for another season or two at least. He's had few injury problems as far as I know, and only seems to be getting better with age. However he's not a traditional CB in a back 2, Wenger needs to remember that.

Ideally we'd sign Gimenez or De Vrij for free, loan out Holding, keep Chambers as a backup.

Kos is great but he only has another 1-2 seasons in him, and can't be relied upon for playing more than one game per week. Holding needs a loan to get some first team experience.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Obviously for now we should just enjoy Nacho at this stage of his career. Back when we has 24/25 I doubt anyone would pick him to be a future CB for a top club. It's surely a lesson in the value of patience and experience over youthful potential. As fans, and i'm guilty of it too, we often want a player for what he could become instead of one who's already matured.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Monreal has got LCB covered for another season or two at least. He's had few injury problems as far as I know, and only seems to be getting better with age. However he's not a traditional CB in a back 2, Wenger needs to remember that.

Ideally we'd sign Gimenez or De Vrij for free, loan out Holding, keep Chambers as a backup.

Kos is great but he only has another 1-2 seasons in him, and can't be relied upon for playing more than one game per week. Holding needs a loan to get some first team experience.

Holding does need regular minutes I agree.

De Vrij i'm guessing hasn't signed a new contract because he's aiming for a bigger club. I've not seen him play so I can't be sure he'd be a solution, but people do say good things about him.

Gimenez though, why is his contract running down? Atletico under Simeone is surely a perfect environment to play as a defender. Is it because Atleti don't fancy him?

I'd still class Mustafi as a young CB, which means we have a few young CBs. Wouldn't it be more sensible to go for a bona fide experienced CB?

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
I'm just going to leave this here after that 30 minute performance.

DT_miBpWAAAVoPI.jpg

Aevi

Hale End FC
He truly deserves a spot in the World Cup team, he's been incredible the past few seasons.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I live this guy. I was hopeful when he joined in spite of his early struggles. He's gone ftlm strength to strength sincing nailing down a starting spot. We should use him to get Laporte from Bilbao before City final use that deal.

Jojoba

Have always said MONREAL is our most consistent defender.. He only looks terrible when the whole team is defending like zombies, where the wide / wingers don't help him out and he has to defend against 2 players. But one on one his mind is very sharp..

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Outstanding performance by Nacho today. He was tremendous for Arsenal. Hope he can maintain the consistency and keeps up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom