• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Carabao Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg I Arsenal v Chelsea I Wednesday 24th January 20:00 GMT | Sky Sports

Will we make it through to the Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
That'll do. Another final. The brighest 5 years in recent times seems so easily viewed as gloomy. It's so easy to do that I get caught up in the emotions of it all the time. But an FA cup final in 2014, 2015, 2017 and now a League Cup final in 2018. 4 finals in 5 years, 3 top four finishes in those years and this one is still pending. We should get to at least the quarter finals of a European competition.

What, a when you look at it, a great time to be a Gooner.

Bingo-Winner.jpg

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

Everything that I like and regularly want from an Arsenal team was on display last night. We rode out the difficult moments of the first half relatively well after their goal and didn't fold under pressure as we may have done in the past.

Then we upped the ante in the second half when we needed to win the game.. forcing the goal through hard work and determination. The 10 minutes following the goal was also very strong.. we looked composed and had them chasing shadows. It's always vital to control the game just after you've gone in front and all too often we've been happy to sit back and let teams take control of the game.

The intensity, desire and fight as a team was fantastic - to a man. I really plead with Arsenal fans to be patient with Iwobi. He's clearly a confidence player.. but he's got all the tools. Yes, he missed a chance and he doesn't have confidence in front of goal, which is even more reason to support him.

It just goes to show that if you focus on keeping things tight on the defensive end, you always have a chance. Hopefully Wenger, who was very good last night, heeds this lesson. Oh, and we also did all the little things right.. niggly fouls at the right time to break up their attack, using the body to draw a foul when under pressure etc. Class performance.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
I really plead with Arsenal fans to be patient with Iwobi. He's clearly a confidence player.. but he's got all the tools. Yes, he missed a chance and he doesn't have confidence in front of goal, which is even more reason to support him.

Iwobi played a key role in the build-up to Xhaka's winner, did very well to stay calm and switch play to the other flank - that's the third game in a row where he's been instrumental in at least one goal.

His decision making and concentration levels aren't up to scratch yet but there's clearly a very talented player in there, I'm glad Wenger's keeping faith in him.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

We’ve started playing some decent stuff and keeping the ball in recent games. Excellent 2nd half, Chelsea got shut out by us.

Made it to the final? Check.

Beat Chelsea convincingly? Check.

Odious Hazard finally gets booked? Checked.

I was astounded by the shift put in by the entire team. But for the turgid moments before & following the goal, the team exploited every inch of space to their advantage.

Coupled with the fact its a one-off game, play like this against City & we can finally claim what Birmingham denied us 7 years ago.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wilshere suggested we got the formation wrong. It seemed in the second half we were playing a variation of of a 4-4-2 diamond.

------------Özil--------------------------------Lacazette

Iwobi---------------------Wilshere----------------Xhaka

-----------------------------Elneny

The amount we asked Xhaka to push forward, you would have to think that role would suit Mhiki. Wilshere could play where Xhaka is, Mhiki where Iwobi was and Özil take up Wilshere's position leaving room for Auba to come in alongside Lacazette.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Wilshere suggested we got the formation wrong. It seemed in the second half we were playing a variation of of a 4-4-2 diamond.

------------Özil--------------------------------Lacazette

Iwobi---------------------Wilshere----------------Xhaka

-----------------------------Elneny

The amount we asked Xhaka to push forward, you would have to think that role would suit Mhiki. Wilshere could play where Xhaka is, Mhiki where Iwobi was and Özil take up Wilshere's position leaving room for Auba to come in alongside Lacazette.
For the majority of the second half, we seemed to be playing with a back 3. You could clearly see El-Nennys positioning.

What El Nenny showed is that we need a ball playing CB amongst our back 3, Xhaka and Wilshere played a lot better when El Nenny dropped a lot deeper (albeit it rendered Xhakas role a bit redundant).

Not sure how this new system is going to work with so many attacking players. The 4 is good but still too shaky with Özil on the wing (or the free role). We essentially only had Bellerin on the right when we played with a back 4. We have to start Wilshere, Özil, Lacazette, PEA and Mkhi. No room in the front 3, could play Mkhi at CM with Jack but then you'd need a competent DM behind them.

Will be interesting to see how we line up come February.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
For the majority of the second half, we seemed to be playing with a back 3. You could clearly see El-Nennys positioning.

What El Nenny showed is that we need a ball playing CB amongst our back 3, Xhaka and Wilshere played a lot better when El Nenny dropped a lot deeper (albeit it rendered Xhakas role a bit redundant).

Not sure how this new system is going to work with so many attacking players. The 4 is good but still too shaky with Özil on the wing (or the free role). We essentially only had Bellerin on the right when we played with a back 4. We have to start Wilshere, Özil, Lacazette, PEA and Mkhi. No room in the front 3, could play Mkhi at CM with Jack but then you'd need a competent DM behind them.

Will be interesting to see how we line up come February.

It seemed like we went 4 - 3 -3, but then Elneny dropped into the back 4 to transition into midfield. Once the ball was in midfield he moved into midfield. If we lost the ball he either dropped into the back four or stayed where he was depending on where Hazard was.

It also meant that Özil stayed up front with Lacazette on occasion. The most fluid I have seen us in a long time.

IslingtonBornandbred

I was at the game and there was an issue first half. I was directly behind the goal in the upper tier front row and very rarely have I seen Wenger so animated in terms of instructions or tactics during the game.

There was an issue with Chelsea playing out from goal kicks. Iwobi was on the left, but Özil spent a hell of a lot of time drifting out to the left as well. He wasn't making any sort of effort to get back to the right wing, so there was an in-balance of who does what. Özil was generally floating towards Iwobi's side rather than the inside right. But just thought it was interesting because I've rarely seen Wenger on the touchline shouting and then waving his arm in frustration when it happened again.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
What did Henry say that everyone found controversial?!!?!?
Straight after the match he said something like "Arsenal were a bit lucky, but who cares...they're in another final"

Don't see the issue there tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom